• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Kickstarter Project for Book on James Niehues' Work

jaytrem

Has anyone recieved their book?

I got a USPS tracking number on 9/21 and it hasn't left the warehouse yet. Guess they're waiting to fill the truck book by book.

Mine says it's supposed to arrive on Tuesday. The USPS never seems to deliver my stuff in a timely manner though. My last package went thru Atlanta twice.

jaytrem

Oops, look like fedex, guess I have a chance for Tuesday.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Oops, look like fedex, guess I have a chance for Tuesday.

Fingers crossed for you. My last shipment with Fed Ex was sent out the day after Labor Day. I still have yet to get it. It was coming from New Orleans Louisiana. The store has no idea WTF happened.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

There are some vendors on Etsy and other places online that sell these maps.

So, since then I looked into this, because I sure as hell wasnt going to pay $300 for one of these on Etsy.

It took quite a bit of time & work on my part to figure out how to do it, but I'm pretty happy with the result. This is 3 foot long by 2.5 feet tall, and I did a 1.5 inch thick wood frame which I think makes it look more professional. I also made the image "wrap" around all four sides instead of just having white outside borders, I thought it looks nicer this way, though YOMV. I kind of wish I went a bit bigger, but it's a ***** figuring out the resolution sizes that work & dont work via trial & error, and this fit the bill for image clarity.

Smuggswallart.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
So, since then I looked into this, because I sure as hell wasnt going to pay $300 for one of these on Etsy.

It took quite a bit of time & work on my part to figure out how to do it, but I'm pretty happy with the result. This is 3 foot long by 2.5 feet tall, and I did a 1.5 inch thick wood frame which I think makes it look more professional. I also made the image "wrap" around all four sides instead of just having white outside borders, I thought it looks nicer this way, though YOMV. I kind of wish I went a bit bigger, but it's a ***** figuring out the resolution sizes that work & dont work via trial & error, and this fit the bill for image clarity.

Smuggswallart.jpg

Nice!

Dickc

Fingers crossed for you. My last shipment with Fed Ex was sent out the day after Labor Day. I still have yet to get it. It was coming from New Orleans Louisiana. The store has no idea WTF happened.

I seem to recall a Fed Ex truck down south that crashed and burned. Could your package have met that fate? Call Fed Ex.

cdskier

Mine says Friday...

It made it to my local post office already as of this morning and now says it is going to be delivered today. We'll see later tonight when I get home from work.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I seem to recall a Fed Ex truck down south that crashed and burned. Could your package have met that fate? Call Fed Ex.

So for some odd reason, I spent the $1.00 or so for insurance at the time of ordering that was offered by a company called Route. So glad I did. The retailer, who previously had been awesome, completely spaced on this missed delivery for some reason. I decided to contact Route. They got me a new one ordered for me within an hour. Awesome!

jaytrem

Got my book, real nice! Brings back lots of memories.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Bump.

Jim made an impromptu visit to Salt Lake last night. They announced it on Tuesday. Good thing I got there early, because very shortly thereafter the line was out the door.

I was able to get my book signed. Two of the Kickstarter campaign organizers were there and were selling books. I wasn't sure how they would feel about me bringing my book to sign, since folks could pay more to fund the project in exchange for an autographed book, but others brought their books and I was flattered to get a high five and a thanks for being a backer.

Book signings are always a bit awkward...some folks want to take 10 minutes to tell the author their life story, while others are whisked along. I managed to have a brief conversation and to thank Jim for his work. He also signed a "trail map of his maps" that they were handing out for me.

A nice event. FWIW he will be at the Boston Ski Show next weekend. He and I joked that the line there to meet him will be much longer. :lol:

BenedictGomez

I'm glad to hear that that god-awful, pathetic-looking, sub AP high school art class trail map is finally going to get some professional help.

ERJ-145CA

I just got it from my wife as a birthday present tonight. Awesome book. I've always loved trail maps and have a shoe box full of them and old lift tickets and passes. I have also have framed a bunch and have them hung in my family room. The book was such a great gift.
20210309_213352.jpg