• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Its snowing!!!!!!

deepsouthmafia

LOL. Awesome pic. We picked up almost five inches.....

almost totally melted this morning. Lol. Sure was pretty though.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Pa was a complete Shit Show ...worst I've ever seen . No pre treatment of roads or salt during the storm . Clue less people all over the place ,I've never seen such a joint display of Government and general public incompetence . It should be mandatory that anyone who seeks to drive has to take a winter driving course !!!!!

#1 Roads have a crown !! If you slam on the brakes while on ice you will slide into the shoulder .
#2 Maintain your FFFFF ing momentum while going up a hill . DO NOT STOP and expect to be able to continue.

I left work after lunch and not seeing any pre-treat or salt ANYWHERE! .....Defroster motor quit ....thankfully had enough fluid to make it almost home . Passed a lot of people who were dumb enough to stop on hills . Some one in an BMW Suv slowed almost to a stop while passing someone in a ditch ,killing my momentum enough to get me stuck , I manged to regain momentum after fishtailing for 50yds . Ironically I ordered chains a few weeks ago and the order was delayed LOL. I was not able to make it home , parked and walked a mile ...I feel lucky . People were stuck on Interstate 78 all night.......

Ended up with close to 10" with sleet and freezing rain mixed in .

Glenn

The local news was out this AM in the weather mobile looking for bad roads. They had a reporter out somewhere showing how heavy the snow was. I know it's an early snow; but certainly not the first November snowstorm I've seen.

Seems we used to take these events in stride. Now everyone panics, wipes out the grocery store and still manages in a ditch or spun out because they're rocking summer performance tires on their AWD vehicle.

asnowmobiler

SHIT SHOW INDEED!!!
I left the valley just after 4:00 and it was gridlock everywhere. A few people at work had 4 hours+ rides home and they only live ten miles away.

BenedictGomez

I saw this coming a mile away and left work at 1:30.

1) Winter Storm. Check.
2) Storm way over-performs meteorologists warning. Check.
3) Road crews not really prepared yet because it's the first storm. Check.
4) Nobody has their snow tires on yet. Check.
5) People habitually freak-the-hell out during winter's first snow. Check.

Recipe for disaster, and I got the hell out of there.

I've heard many nightmare stories of 5 to 7 hour drives home on trips that are normally 40 minutes to an hour.

ghughes20

...and yet, they'll own every electronic gadget known to man! :lol:

As an NJ resident, and owner of many electronic gadgets, I've have also owned snow tires. It's amazing how much better they are in winter weather. I had a set on my RWD BMW. It basically put my car on par with AWD cars with all season tires. A set of snows on AWD is basically bulletproof. If I lived year round in the mountains, I would go AWD + snows.

That said, I never put them on before Thanksgiving. Usually I would put them on that weekend. The early season snowfall would rarely last for more than a day.

I was working in NYC yesterday. I usually take the bus, so when I heard the Port Authority was closed, I diverted to the train in Hoboken. All the trains were delayed, I finally got one that dropped me off in a neighboring town, took an Uber for the final few miles. 4 hours to get home - and I was barely on the roads. The commute should take 70 minutes.

The biggest problem with the roads is that they weren't pre-treated.

cdskier

That said, I never put them on before Thanksgiving. Usually I would put them on that weekend. The early season snowfall would rarely last for more than a day.

Yea, last week or two of November is when I put mine on so I'm ready for going up to VT starting in December.

BenedictGomez

Yea, last week or two of November is when I put mine on so I'm ready for going up to VT starting in December.

Similar.

I put mine on "this" weekend each year, because we head to northern Vermont every Thanksgiving.

I do have one of the heaviest vehicles on the road, which is AWD to boot, so with snow tires on that sucker I feel pretty solid in the snow. My wife has a small vehicle, but it's an AWD Subaru with snow tires, and we drove that thing to Whiteface last year in a POUNDING snowstorm (stupid maybe?) and it felt safe/solid.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
It took me 6 hours to get to Killington Thursday night from CT, usually a 3.5 hour drive. An average speed of 30mph is pretty good I'd assume. Maybe 10 cars passed me from CT to VT. I didn't hit anything really sketchy but I've never seen so many people pulled off to the side or in a ditch. Vermont local roads were deserted. On Rt 103 by Chester I pulled over, peed, and cleaned off my windshield wipers (so maybe 5 minutes total elapsed time) not a single vehicle in either direction passed me.

The inevitable AWD vs FWD debate again? A FWD vehicle with snow tires will be acceptable in the majority of snowstorms in the Northeast (as long as you don't have to stop before a hill). Unless you're going up a crazy steep local road, dealing with snowfall rates of 2-3" per hour, or are in a shitty ski resort parking lot... FWD with GOOD SNOW TIRES will be enough.

Glenn

It took me 6 hours to get to Killington Thursday night from CT, usually a 3.5 hour drive. An average speed of 30mph is pretty good I'd assume. Maybe 10 cars passed me from CT to VT. I didn't hit anything really sketchy but I've never seen so many people pulled off to the side or in a ditch. Vermont local roads were deserted. On Rt 103 by Chester I pulled over, peed, and cleaned off my windshield wipers (so maybe 5 minutes total elapsed time) not a single vehicle in either direction passed me.

Sounds really similar to the Thanksgiving storm we had a few years back. It was wet roads until about Bernardston Mass. From there to the VT line was an epic shiteshow. I stopped counting after we saw 12 cars off the road. A tractor trailer was stuck on the hill just after the Welcome Center. We usually get off exit two or three. We jumped off exit 1 and went through downtown to pick up 30. One of the rare times it was quicker to drive through downtown Bratt.