IKON Adds Zermatt

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

IKON Adds Zermatt

I believe this is their first European resort. I assume this is limited to 5 days, but not sure. I might have to add that to my bucket list. Not many places you can ski two countries from one peak (but not on the same pass, for now, anyway).

I visited in 2002 and 2017. Go if you have not. It is amazing.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by ghughes20 View Post
    I believe this is their first European resort. I assume this is limited to 5 days, but not sure. I might have to add that to my bucket list. Not many places you can ski two countries from one peak (but not on the same pass, for now, anyway).
    5 days with the base and 7 with the full Ikon...no blackouts on either as well.

Been going the past 4 years, of course this is the year we decided not to go back!

It is amazing, but we are stuck going at peak vacation time for England and last year was a disaster. Hadn't snowed in weeks so everything was rock hard and the trails were absolutely packed, like scary packed and dangerous.

We were there in 2018 after the massive dump that trapped everyone in the village for 3 days, that was amazing skiing, but it is so rare for Zermatt.

Did you notice on the email it said their annual snowfall is only 138"! I believe it, and that is likely for mid-mountain. It really doesn't snow much in a normal year. A few big storms early in the season then weeks upon weeks of sunshine.

We decided to go to Revelstoke this year.
    2017/2018

Wow, 138" is very surprising. Stratton get's more, of course only interspersed with rain and a hard freeze!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ghughes20 View Post
    Wow, 138" is very surprising. Stratton get's more, of course only interspersed with rain and a hard freeze!!!
    No idea where they measure this but I can't believe they actually advertised this number in their promotional email.
    2017/2018

138 sounds low

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    138 sounds low
    It is literally in their promotional email that went out to all Ikon Pass holders. Nobody would under report their annual snowfall.

Could be the village at 5,300 feet (honestly sounds high for the village) or could be somewhere mid-mountain. With 7,500 feet of vertical significant variation in snowfall is to be expected. Just trying to grasp why they put that number in the email...not exactly a selling point.
    2017/2018

Quote Originally Posted by billo View Post
    It is literally in their promotional email that went out to all Ikon Pass holders. Nobody would under report their annual snowfall.

Could be the village at 5,300 feet (honestly sounds high for the village) or could be somewhere mid-mountain. With 7,500 feet of vertical significant variation in snowfall is to be expected. Just trying to grasp why they put that number in the email...not exactly a selling point.
    I did some looking and surprisingly their snowfall is pretty low.

Live, Ski, or Die!

Glaciers don’t form because of a abundant snowfall. They form because what little snow does fall never melts.

Thread Information