• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett 11/18/18 - Watch Out for Flying Squirrels

Zand

Headed up tonight, only had a little over an hour as I didn't arrive until almost 6:30. Mainly wanted to drop my skis off for a tune and take a few runs while I was up there. Decent crowd - cars back to row 8 although at that hour I parked right next to the rental shop. No lines at any lift at that point but with 1 trail off each lift, the trails occasionally got crowded when a pack of people went down all at once.

Conifer was pretty slick at that point. Probably got a little above freezing today and it was down into the upper 20s so probably hardened up with that. The middle of the pitch after the 1st road was a skating rink. That said, most of the trail had some loose snow down the sides for better turns. Some of it is covered edge to edge but a few other parts about half covered. There is plenty of natural snow where they didn't cover with the manmade, but it's pretty glazed over so user beware.

Ralph's was a little less slick until the final pitch to the bottom. They have some lights out right at the top, it's almost pitch black going around the first corner. Good coverage overall, just arrive early to get better conditions as they obviously get scraped off after 10 hours and only a few trails open. Lots of snowmaking opportunities and a couple more chances of snow this week so a really nice Thanksgiving shaping up.

One of my rides up Minuteman, I was about halfway up when I felt something fly into the tips of my poles which were on the chair next to me. I thought maybe a map or a branch or something blew onto them, but I looked down and saw a squirrel staring back at me :-o...after it realized where it was, it jumped off and flew to the ground but that was an interesting encounter. Also saw a porcupine wandering around in the snow on 10th under the lift.

Heading back up tomorrow after work to pick up my skis and I'll take a few more runs while I'm there. Also trying to work out those early season ski boot pains. Then it's off to Killington Tuesday.

JimG.

Staff member
There was a chipmunk in the lodge at Hunter yesterday stealing food scraps from people's bags that had been left under tables. Smart chippie.