2018-2019 Sunday River - Page 10

AlpineZone

Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    Interesting about Barker. Didn't even notice it being down today. Rode it a bunch around 10 and sporadically throughout the afternoon.

Glad it's nothing serious!
    Seems to me they closed it about noon so we skied Tempest and White Cap for a bit, came back thru and it was still closed so we headed over to the chondi and Aurora.

lovin life,

Bob

Last night, I was just looking over the River's interactive ski map, to see what I was missing out on and what they managed to open for the holidays. I saw Green Cheese, Upper and Lower Moonstruck, Starlight and Assumption open. But not the Little White Cap chair that services that area.

I sent a message on FB to the River inquiring. Here is their reply:

They can be accessed by Assumption off of White Heat and have been groomed recently, so our patrol team was okay with them being "open" even though they aren't lift-serviced at the moment.

Fudging the trail count much? Sure, they did that a couple years ago when Spruce lift was down, so now they feel okay it being SOP? I know when I look at trail count deciding which resort to go to, I might be a little upset if I got there and learned that some trails were not lift served. We are talking about Little White Cap, a beginner area, but still, all the more reason for lift service.
    lovin life,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by uphillklimber View Post
    Last night, I was just looking over the River's interactive ski map, to see what I was missing out on and what they managed to open for the holidays. I saw Green Cheese, Upper and Lower Moonstruck, Starlight and Assumption open. But not the Little White Cap chair that services that area.

They can be accessed by Assumption off of White Heat and have been groomed recently, so our patrol team was okay with them being "open" even though they aren't lift-serviced at the moment.

Fudging the trail count much? Sure, they did that a couple years ago when Spruce lift was down, so now they feel okay it being SOP? I know when I look at trail count deciding which resort to go to, I might be a little upset if I got there and learned that some trails were not lift served. We are talking about Little White Cap, a beginner area, but still, all the more reason for lift service.
    Well, they did make snow on the entire area a week or 2 ago. I had heard the lift was suppose to be ready back then, but must have run into another delay. Hearing load check was suppose to be today, not sure that gets/got done with the weather. They were hopeful it would be up for the weekend. The base bull wheel has been on the ground all fall to this point. Not sure what went/needed, but must have been something in the motor or drive. Hopefully it is ready for the am, with the NW winds forecast tomorrow, they might need it as it is one of the most wind protected lifts on the hill.

I have no problem if they want to call fully prepared trails open if the lift is down. Easy hike from WH up assumption. Not going to do it myself for that terrain, but can be done. I also personally don't care if that "POD" is open or closed. Trail count doesn't matter to me, what trails are actually open is what I personally look at.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

I wasn't aware of the major repairs to this lift. I agree it is one of the most wind protected areas on the resort. I do occasionally go there and have a great time and practice on basics. Yeah, on that wicked slow chair.
    lovin life,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by uphillklimber View Post

Other resorts do this too ... Pico (Outpost) and Sugarbush (Castle Rock) come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by urungus View Post
    Other resorts do this too ... Pico (Outpost) and Sugarbush (Castle Rock) come to mind.
    True. Little White Cap isn’t a big deal IMHO. But I do understand the frustration.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Live, Ski, or Die!

And often people pick a resort a few days in advance. If a lift only runs weekends or will only be closed for a few days a lift very well be open when many of those customers looking actually ski. Though Castlerock lift is closed due to thin snow there so people have to hike, which many people are doing.

Seems to me Cannon also does or did, with ... Mittersill, though there is now a lift. Sure, there was a trail at Cannon that was open and listed, but it didn't have a lift to begin with and most people going there would know about that. Wasn't there also a note of some sort back in the day?

But at a place like the River, with lifts everywhere and everything lift served, if it's open, people expect lift service. Even when Spruce was down, they opened it's trails with a very clear note that hiking would be involved.

Imagine, for a minute, that you are a family of novices, coming to the Summit Hotel for you annual week long ski vacation and thinking this is great. We'll be able to ski some uncrowded, wind protected beginner terrain right next to our hotel. Look, the trail report says Moonstruck is open!

Exactly how does that grow the Sunday River loyal crowd?
    lovin life,

Bob

If it were my family, I'd take the resort shuttle from the Grand to South Ridge and be happy there is a groomed trail to at least get back to our hotel. I'd recognize that things happen. Lifts break from time to time.

This certainly wouldn't have an impact on my loyalty to the mountain unless it were a repeated occurrence.

This really isn't that big of a deal. I think you are over thinking things.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Yeah, I may be overthinking. The River is large, and South Ridge is a nice beginner area, but it can crowd up, unlike Little White Cap. But I do remember my first 7-8 years of skiing (wasn't all that long ago) and this is exactly the kind of thing I'd remember about a resorts ski reports, feeling like they would almost outright lie to draw me in. Nowadays, I look at the ski reports with a more cynical (realistic) eye. I know they all do it, so that's where the bar is set.

As an aside, we were chatting on the chondi about why they don't have Exit Left open, a small trail from lower downdraft to Grand Rapids, maybe a 100 feet long. Not a whole lot of work to add another trail to the trail count. Again, a bunch of us just being cynical about the trail count! LOL!
    lovin life,

Bob

Thread Information