2018-2019 Sunday River - Page 11

AlpineZone

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    I guess I don't really care or think too much about trail count. I mean Wildcat will often list and have 40 trails open when more than a dozen have conditions that are virtually unskiable. You could look at it like they are baiting people in or just know that that's how it goes there. Same is true for places like Magic or MRG. Personally, I prefer places that open up everything they can even during marginal conditions.

Sunday River is a very large mountain that more often than not is reliably going to have some of the most skiable terrain open in New England. I don't think having 82 trails open vs 77 is really going to make that much of a difference to most people going there.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Agreed. It's just that in my first years skiing, it was an eye opener, but I soon learned everyone did it.
    lovin life,

Bob

As an update, no Little White Cap quad again today though I am not surprised. Yesterday would have been tough to do a load test in that weather. I can say the Bull Wheel is back on so should be ready to go very soon.

Also, the New Year's Eve storm looks to be shifting a bit, reminiscent of some of our early November storm tracks where Wildcat and North East into Maine stay mostly snow. I won't be around but fingers crossed!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    As an update, no Little White Cap quad again today though I am not surprised. Yesterday would have been tough to do a load test in that weather. I can say the Bull Wheel is back on so should be ready to go very soon.

Also, the New Year's Eve storm looks to be shifting a bit, reminiscent of some of our early November storm tracks where Wildcat and North East into Maine stay mostly snow. I won't be around but fingers crossed!

I saw that. Just a few inches for SR last I saw though. Any more and it'll throw off my plans of not skiing (not that that would be a bad thing though).

I see every lift, including little white cap is open today! They have them all in working shape and a crews to man them!
    lovin life,

Bob

Sunday River is getting it back! All this rain has caused issues, of course. Yesterday, the wind basically had south Ridge and Little white cap as your options, but today, they had almost every groom able trail open (no lift lines or glades) except for Oz and Salvation off of White Heat.

There was fresh manmade on Upper Punch, Cyclone, Double Dipper, Flow State, Kansas and others. I love that they are making snow!
    lovin life,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by uphillklimber View Post
    Sunday River is getting it back! All this rain has caused issues, of course. Yesterday, the wind basically had south Ridge and Little white cap as your options, but today, they had almost every groom able trail open (no lift lines or glades) except for Oz and Salvation off of White Heat.

There was fresh manmade on Upper Punch, Cyclone, Double Dipper, Flow State, Kansas and others. I love that they are making snow!

You act like they are doing something special by making snow, How could they not make snow?

Quote Originally Posted by skiur View Post
    You act like they are doing something special by making snow, How could they not make snow?
    I'll freely admit to being a homer for the River, but I do try to call it straight. I'll criticize Barker being broken down repeatedly as well compliment them for doing their job. You like a compliment every now and then when you do your job?

Last year, they had many issues with snow making, inadequate crew, water main breaking at least a dozen times, etc.... I like that this year, they can do it! And I don't mind saying so.
    lovin life,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by uphillklimber View Post
    The hour or so before the wind came in on New Year's Day didn't suck, either. Minimal people for a holiday, soft snow on top of the early grooms, and they even opened some natural-snow trails before the wind shut things down (I got a pretty damn good run down Locke Line to Crossbow/Tightwire, passing patrol as they coiled the Crossbow rope, which was quite nice).

Overall, I've been pretty impressed with the skiing this year—it's been a while since I've been around, and it's been a bit of an adjustment moving back from Montana snow conditions, but the grooming has been pretty damn good overall, and the quantity and quality of snowmaking have both been what I'd expect from a top-tier New England resort.

I'd prefer it if they'd take some lessons from the MRG patrol on what to open and what to leave closed, but I suspect the difference in clientele would make that a bad decision in the long run.
    Disclaimer: Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself, unless I'm saying something incredibly dumb, in which case I didn't say anything and you're hallucinating.

Quote Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
    The hour or so before the wind came in on New Year's Day didn't suck, either. Minimal people for a holiday, soft snow on top of the early grooms, and they even opened some natural-snow trails before the wind shut things down (I got a pretty damn good run down Locke Line to Crossbow/Tightwire, passing patrol as they coiled the Crossbow rope, which was quite nice).

Overall, I've been pretty impressed with the skiing this year—it's been a while since I've been around, and it's been a bit of an adjustment moving back from Montana snow conditions, but the grooming has been pretty damn good overall, and the quantity and quality of snowmaking have both been what I'd expect from a top-tier New England resort.

I'd prefer it if they'd take some lessons from the MRG patrol on what to open and what to leave closed, but I suspect the difference in clientele would make that a bad decision in the long run.
    They have actually become much more lenient about what to keep open/open in the last two years or so. Mad River really does not have a choice if they want to be open many times as they have almost nothing snowmaking wise. Lately, if it has been closed at SR, you really don't want to ski it. Not saying it might not be "skiable," but if it's closed it likely isn't really any fun to ski it in any fashion.

Thread Information