• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2018-2019 Sunday River

machski

Did some skiing today, second run, we were looking to ski the lip of the half pipe, maybe inside the pipe. We get there, and there is an awful lot of grass growing there. They have not even begun to coat it to get it ready. All I can think is that they are going to have to run hoses from 3 D(???) if they bother at all. The rest of T-72 is up and running, as well as 3D.

I gotta say, that despite the recent rains which give some scratch beneath the corduroy, they are doing a great job getting the mountain skiable at night. They shut the guns off of Top Gun and we skied over the whales and it is bumping up real nice. Just the challenge I need to improve. Ere.... I mean, Top Gun is terrible. don't waste your time, find something else to ski you may enjoy more! LOL! 4 1/2 hours later, I was done, and grateful to the River for wearing me out!
With regards to the half pipe, they have dragged hoses through the woods off 3-D before. They have also closed Upper T72 and dragged hoses that way from the T72 line. I don't think the pipe is a very high priority anymore for SR. Or Gould for that matter.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

Been a while since they've made snow on Quantum Leap hasn't it?
No, they have gotten to it the last few years, but usually much later.

Great skiing today but as of 130pm, winds are starting to crank up out of Northwest. Jordan went/is going on hold and looks like WH is too if app can be believed. Barker appears on hold too, betting not wind there yet if so.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

I just read that the River will be 100% open starting tomorrow. Not sure how I can ski Bim's whim if they don't open the Locke Triple though....

I see Barker is on wind hold right now so the triple is running. We'll see what can be accessed tomorrow, I'm pretty sure I can't ski it all anyways in a day!
Wind holds cut down Jordan/Aurora/Barker and WH to start today. Doesn't appear they will turn Oz today but Quantum is open as is Jordan Double for guest access out and Locke.

Dickc

I just read that the River will be 100% open starting tomorrow. Not sure how I can ski Bim's whim if they don't open the Locke Triple though....

I see Barker is on wind hold right now so the triple is running. We'll see what can be accessed tomorrow, I'm pretty sure I can't ski it all anyways in a day!
Go up Barker, Ski down Jungle Road to Sunday Punch. Walk UP Sunday Punch to top of Spruce and around the corner to Bims. Its not THAT much of a hike.

Dickc

Go up Barker, Ski down Jungle Road to Sunday Punch. Walk UP Sunday Punch to top of Spruce and around the corner to Bims. Its not THAT much of a hike.

By the way, this will also get you over to White Heat when that lift is on wind hold.

machski

Wow!!! What a day for skiing today. When I parked, it registered a minus 11 degrees, so that kept many people away. They had deep groomed packed powder that lasted all day! It simply didn't scrape down as I have come to expect the past couple weeks. If you passed by today, you passed a great day. No wind, so the cold was less of an issue.

The morning started with Jordan on hold, don't know why But it opened up shortly and was some fun!

They are blowing snow on Escapade and Agony, as well as the top of Right Stuff.

I think I'll have to go back tomorrow!
Wow, Agony again! Would love to see them bury that deep for late spring turns on it this year. Been a while since it was deep enough to last to last day.

Hawk

Wow, Agony again! Would love to see them bury that deep for late spring turns on it this year. Been a while since it was deep enough to last to last day.

Actually Agony for the first time this season. I do not call blowing that 100 yd stretch at the bottom below south paw blowing agony. I also agree that they should cover that thing with a deep base for the spring since that is the best trail once they close all the lifts.

machski

Actually Agony for the first time this season. I do not call blowing that 100 yd stretch at the bottom below south paw blowing agony. I also agree that they should cover that thing with a deep base for the spring since that is the best trail once they close all the lifts.
Felt to me this past weekend that it had seen snowmaking sometime prior to it, the whole length. Pretty sure they hit it some point for the holiday week. The only trails that haven't been hit this year are backside and Polaris.

kbroderick

Felt to me this past weekend that it had seen snowmaking sometime prior to it, the whole length. Pretty sure they hit it some point for the holiday week. The only trails that haven't been hit this year are backside and Polaris.

I forget when it was, but my recollection is that they had made snow overnight and shut the guns off around lift opening (quite possibly because people like snow magically appearing on the trail, not coating them as they ride up the lift).

machski

I forget when it was, but my recollection is that they had made snow overnight and shut the guns off around lift opening (quite possibly because people like snow magically appearing on the trail, not coating them as they ride up the lift).
Not just customers, lift ops always gets pissed at snowmaking when the hit Agony. DB would love to bury Agony because of it's visibility, but the lift is an issue and getting plastered. Maybe when it gets replaced, they at least install a chair rack to clear the line when they blast Agony.

skicub

Too bad today was cold - yesterday the the 16th was great! Accuweather said 1-2” and cloudy. Turned out to be partly sunny and perfect. High 20’s and groomy, with great coverage, though it was a bummer Heat quad was closed. Otherwise, a nice 35k+ Vert day. IMG_7514.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

machski

Yes, another peak weekend/period with another major lift closed at SR for unscheduled maintenance. Boy, this is becoming a broken record and an eye sore for the resort. For us powder fans, IT IS the perfect lift to be down for the weekend though. Easy hike to side country like terrain now. Just hate how this looks with all these lifts being closed when the crowds actually show up. Bad first impressions are not good, Boyne take note.

crazy

Yes, another peak weekend/period with another major lift closed at SR for unscheduled maintenance. Boy, this is becoming a broken record and an eye sore for the resort. For us powder fans, IT IS the perfect lift to be down for the weekend though. Easy hike to side country like terrain now. Just hate how this looks with all these lifts being closed when the crowds actually show up. Bad first impressions are not good, Boyne take note.

In a perverse way, this makes me want to go to Sunday River more for Sunday's dump. I would rather hike and get a few untracked/less tracked runs in than have the whole thing get tracked out in minutes.

MEtoVTSkier

I see White Heat Quad is down for unscheduled maintenance, which is another way of saying it broke down. Realistically, you gotta expect that with anything that has moving parts, and is darn near impossible to warehouse every part that might break on site, especially with all the lifts they have and different manufacturers.

But......

This is getting to be an old song. Barker has been down half a dozen times now, for varying lengths of time. And the occasional lift here and there. At some point, maintenance guys can see a part is wearing and due to fail soon. Management should recognize this and allow maintenance to order parts looking to fail soon so that when they do fail, maintenance can replace the part real quick. Or better yet, replace it before it fails completely leaving a broken down lift. Those mechanics are good at what they do. Give them the parts and they'll change them out in short order. They can't do their job without the parts.

Due to the length of this breakdown, I'm guessing this is not a simple bearing or some such thing.

Still, I gotta be a homer for the River. Overall, I am very happy with what they and mother nature have been providing.

Wait until they have 2 or 3 down at once...

machski

I see White Heat Quad is down for unscheduled maintenance, which is another way of saying it broke down. Realistically, you gotta expect that with anything that has moving parts, and is darn near impossible to warehouse every part that might break on site, especially with all the lifts they have and different manufacturers.

But......

This is getting to be an old song. Barker has been down half a dozen times now, for varying lengths of time. And the occasional lift here and there. At some point, maintenance guys can see a part is wearing and due to fail soon. Management should recognize this and allow maintenance to order parts looking to fail soon so that when they do fail, maintenance can replace the part real quick. Or better yet, replace it before it fails completely leaving a broken down lift. Those mechanics are good at what they do. Give them the parts and they'll change them out in short order. They can't do their job without the parts.

Due to the length of this breakdown, I'm guessing this is not a simple bearing or some such thing.

Still, I gotta be a homer for the River. Overall, I am very happy with what they and mother nature have been providing.
Nope, not an easy fix. Top bullwheel main bearing went, need to detension off the top bull wheel, drop it, replace bearings, remount and reattach and tension the line. Might need a load test after, not sure on that. Likely down for the balance of next week. Kind of stinks, they may have the part on hand (they do have 4 of these FGQ's after all) but even if they did, this change out is time consuming and requires heavy(er) equipment to the top for the job.

Newpylong

It is very rare for a bullwheel bearing to fail without notice. Usually you begin to hearing knocking from the bullwheel long before the point of failure. A trained ear fan even use a stethoscope. Most installers go with a 10,000 hour lifetime between proactive replacement now.