• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2018-2019 Sunday River

machski

All was good today. The "No hiking of White Cap" did not seem to be enforced and offered amazing runs over there. Looks like all the equipment is gone from The summit and ops was spinning the White Heat Quad this afternoon. Thinking it is close to being back.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

kbroderick

It was interesting that the woods seemed to get hit a lot harder, a lot quicker Wednesday vs. Sunday of MLK Weekend despite a relatively low number of people on the hill...until I remembered black-out dates.

Spent a couple hours looking for the 10" reported at the summit. I don't think we managed to find it, but the skiing we did find was still pretty damn good.

pCTQcvxpkoh-LU8LfBYBgdfs8YzrID6fXELp9nac0GSkO9BMsTYkOI2XVgrBlDLa9jRxv7dU-hDNODiz6Ig1H_x3eCnVwuNkqAjQYJdwlhsZT8Md6xXDXDUoIhggeY13JMIeE8RWR9r_OLAn-uGpQZxxWLu03NYmpqVWlWENdGBtZXF49_2LK-bEAFknOJp7ctVLD_mzGbQ7pTl--6g0ZfQoUQc2NaDDOccySJnJ7_l1CbEQcfGgRDvDCRQTzMI_Pj_-IDzFB5aEgQcr1zRE5gZ_BGdIbSSMzhf09UztyFLvGHGVjvsCusDUTRYDO9EE_i4jhWxUWEFTCC4amXOrBgr5QpFTuEBMxUDF98wfcA7HCCZXc8GOQWGtQD1odoeuxDIIg06tGs0pEcN5ZXrbglWtPoutfypvB3d45Bmh7e-eJfGuONYfXMWe-4QDU6YpSdaJ9UrMVyJXt3y7kbqZ_L_p0m7bgiSVwAKwp-J3cqloNjRCS0xcZaK1FU1R5zKrj6AZDrIWMoKgeoiwGSn0wLB9geYCfMqFVJ0SjtcVQBX8PSAa4nsAQ91QEah3Z0LlJ1NJU0UitB6Ym1B8ahpKLcuqa59b6LT5OEkq_ox7z-lLp1yOVAfvufJlw5KY7dwwIEi9rh14OSA_QSSxNf9WKsPu3oEGAwAY1_qzhheOquj53405sKMRKZz3WV1U0IGdji2jvwYM3fYsu6Sm9bJELlkFcQ=w1794-h2392-no

Razor

That 10" on top? You won't find it. Even on their website, they were saying 5-8" on the mountain. Knowing how ski resorts love to fudge the numbers, if that's as much as they could claim..... Realistically, they got a good 5 Inches (I had 11 at my house, 18 miles away. Not that it does me any good there.)

I saw White Heat spinning a bit today, though I didn't see anyone actually on it (Wasn't looking all that hard). The glades are nice today, gets you out of the cold and works you a little warmer!

Wednesday was one of the best days of Eastern skiing I've had in ages. Not sure about 10", but plenty of powder to go around. We stayed at Jordan, and had untracked powder for over an hour before the hoards arrived. First run Excaliber, then Rogue,then multiple runs through Blind Ambition. Later skied the trees above BA entrance from Excaliber for the first time. Moving over to the main area, the Yeti woods and North woods were amazing along with Last Tango. Only problem was that you never got to relax on a groomer as every trail except at South Ridge was bumped up. Went 9-3 until totally exhausted.

machski

Wednesday was amazing. Tons of snow, end of day followed the hoard trekking over to White Cap summit, Chutzpah untouched and not sure if just from Wednesday's storm, but more than a foot of fresh in there.

Jump forward to today, darn cold but the conditions cannot be better. Not sure I have seen this amount of snow pack at this junction of the season ever up here. Groomed runs are packed powder for sure and barely snow any wear by the end of the midweek day. Naturals and glades still have untracked lines waiting. If you are undecided, make the choice to get you here! Given the trend for next week, there is no excuse to miss out this weekend!!

machski

I had opportunity to ride with the super from the parks program today. I got the skinny on the half pipe. The half pipe at T-72 eats up all kinds of resources and time and really doesn't get much use. Over recent years, they have had events scheduled and had to cancel due to lack of participation. So they are done with it.

Then I asked about the mini pipe by the groomer parking. He said that they need to stockpile snow to keep Broadway open and keep some snow to park the groomers on later in the season and keep the mud and rock off the trails. Since they need to stockpile snow anyways, they go ahead and make a mini pipe!

Total slushfest today, gonna turn to freezing weather about 7 PM tonight. Likely gonna be some fast skiing tomorrow, sharpen your edges.
If that is the case, get a dozer up there and knock down the earthen walls then. Thing is an eye sore if no longer used!

machski

I think the reason they are not dozing it in is because they have so much time invested in building it. There was an excavator all summer long building it. They never filled in the one on Monday Morning.
True, but MM one was just a scooped out divot by comparison. Level the T72 pipe and they could have dual jump lines on the trail (freeing up lower 3D for a beginner bump park like it was originally intended for).

machski

I like that idea. Raise your hand if you think the river will do it. Anyone???

Today's skiing was crisp and fast. The locals challenge was particularly trying. Couldn't hold an edge on the course, and I got poor times. But I watched the leader go down the course. He didn't seem to have a problem.

Otherwise, a nice sunny day and some pretty decent skiing on the groomed trails.
I tend to think they will hold off on leveling the Earthen pipe for at least a few years, just in case it comes back in Vogue. For all I know, there could be an agreement with Gould to keep it around in case that ramps up again within their programs.

catherine

Any reports from today. Thinking about heading there tomorrow but really don’t want to make the drive if it’s going to be too icy.

Jully

Short day for me today, I was sick last week, so....

Anyways, Conditions were crisp and fast today. Ice showing there here and there, scrapey. A little wind, but all lifts running. If you come tomorrow, sharpen your edges, you'll need that.

What is the snow depth (not quality) in the trees right now? Any chance we're skiing trees (or even ungroomed trails with snowmaking - like Agony/Shockwave) in the storm this week in your opinion?

shwilly

What is the snow depth (not quality) in the trees right now? Any chance we're skiing trees (or even ungroomed trails with snowmaking - like Agony/Shockwave) in the storm this week in your opinion?

Absolutely. I couldn't believe it, but there were people in Supernova / Celestial (which were open) yesterday! You could hear big scrapes followed by cascades of pellets sliding down the glazed crust. Not my bag, but I respect those crazy nuts for taking the Eastern skier mentality to the extreme.

The surface is bad now, but cover is good. It should be nice after another storm.

Jully

In my opinion, this storm should reopen every bit of the mountain. The base is there. It looked glazed from the lit today, but not a whole lot of rock or ground showing thru. I'm just hoping it is not a total light powder snow that'll get pushed or blown off fast, like the last one.

Today off groomer, it was rough. Shucks, even walking into North peak today was tough where they couldn't groom the ice next to the patio.

Phenomenal. Wild news about Celestial this weekend.

Probably going to ski there Wednesday. Hoping for a non sleet situation the whole day, but even with a few hours of sleet it should be great

machski

In my opinion, this storm should reopen every bit of the mountain. The base is there. It looked glazed from the lit today, but not a whole lot of rock or ground showing thru. I'm just hoping it is not a total light powder snow that'll get pushed or blown off fast, like the last one.

Today off groomer, it was rough. Shucks, even walking into North peak today was tough where they couldn't groom the ice next to the patio.
Doubtful, seeing storm day temps into the low 30's. Should have decent density to it.

Jully

Can second that. Everything was incredible today. The western (higher elevation) stuff was better. Barker was a little wet, but hardly worth complaining about as it was still killer.

Zand

Plans got changed from SL to Sunday River for me on Monday. How much of a disaster will the lines be? I've never been to Sunday River later than the first week of December so I have no idea what to expect. I assume the shortest lines will be at lifts like Oz, Aurora, and Locke but correct me if I'm wrong.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Barker, Jordan and the lifts out of South ridge really are the only ones at Sunday River that can have major lines during a holiday week. Everywhere else is mostly tolerable. Sunday River's lift system is vastly superior to Sugarloaf's at handling crowds.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

parahelia

If today is any indication, I wouldn’t worry about crowds on Monday. The lines weren’t bad at all - if anything, they were shorter than a typical midwinter Saturday. Oz and Aurora only had waits of a few chairs and even Barker wasn’t bad from the times I saw it. Everything around the resort is hopping and busy, but on the snow it’s fine.

The mountain is wide open, including all the trees, and it seems like people are getting spread out very well. Conditions are fantastic, especially in the woods. You should have a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: