2018-2019 Sunday River - Page 9

AlpineZone

Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uphillklimber View Post
    I only had 2 1/2 hours today, so I headed over to Tin Woodsman and Lost Princess to ski on the whales. Very rewarding, challenged me at my level and for the life of me, I can't find that invisible line that separates Lost Princess from Tin Woodsman. I'm sure I crossed that line many times today! Groomers were good, but Oz was awesome!
    LP used to be gladed, TW was an open trail. If you look close, there are a few stumps left. A bad Ice storm in the later 90's took out most of the trees. Same over on Emerald City and Eureka.

While it can still be fun, OZ might be the most horrendous trail design f ups in New England skiing history. As I understand it, Les wanted to create a terrain pod with a western bowl type feel. Not a great plan for an area that averages 150" of snow a year.

I haven't skied that terrain for probably five years, but I was a passholder there 05-07 and know it well. I always felt they should rope off several large areas of terrain in Oz to allow trees to regrow.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Dickc View Post
    LP used to be gladed, TW was an open trail. If you look close, there are a few stumps left. A bad Ice storm in the later 90's took out most of the trees. Same over on Emerald City and Eureka.

Ahhhh!!! Thanx for the explanation.
    lovin life,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Dickc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    While it can still be fun, OZ might be the most horrendous trail design f ups in New England skiing history. As I understand it, Les wanted to create a terrain pod with a western bowl type feel. Not a great plan for an area that averages 150" of snow a year.
    I'm confused. Did the Oz terrain pod turn out the way it did because of Les Otten's vision, a bad ice storm, or both?

I don't think it's the 150" of snow a year that makes it not a great plan. A handful of Western resorts only get about that much snow a year, including Lake Louise, Marmot Basin, and Sun Valley. The difference is that we have a maritime snowpack here in New England where snow preservation is not great thanks to thaw-freeze and rain not being uncommon. If Sunday River was on the continental divide, 150" would certainly be sufficient for "bowl skiing", with "bowl" in quotes because I've never thought of Oz as resembling a bowl, though now that you mention it I can kind of see it.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    I'm confused. Did the Oz terrain pod turn out the way it did because of Les Otten's vision, a bad ice storm, or both?

I don't think it's the 150" of snow a year that makes it not a great plan. A handful of Western resorts only get about that much snow a year, including Lake Louise, Marmot Basin, and Sun Valley. The difference is that we have a maritime snowpack here in New England where snow preservation is not great thanks to thaw-freeze and rain not being uncommon. If Sunday River was on the continental divide, 150" would certainly be sufficient for "bowl skiing", with "bowl" in quotes because I've never thought of Oz as resembling a bowl, though now that you mention it I can kind of see it.
    Mostly due to Les's vision for the area. There were a few more trees on skiers right of LP, TW had more of a tree line on the left of the open run and Emerald City up high had better trees. But mostly it was cut too open. They could have left a few more healthy trees up and still made snow on Eureka, TW/LP. The biggest problem with the trails are the waterfall/flow sections, right at midtrail on LP/TW and a bout 2/3 down Eureka. Add wind scouring in due to how open it is, tough to hold natural in there now.

IMHO, the vision was not correct for that particular area or the East in general. Needed a lot more trees. A bit thinner gunside and a bit thicker as you move away would have been perfect. As an aside, these were cut with the intention of using SR7 ground guns, not the towers TW/LP has now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

I realize it's a labor intensive task, but perhaps they should experiment with snow portable snow fencing like Sunshine Village does above tree line? (Catch the snow before it's blown into the woods)

Quote Originally Posted by skinowworklater View Post
    I realize it's a labor intensive task, but perhaps they should experiment with snow portable snow fencing like Sunshine Village does above tree line? (Catch the snow before it's blown into the woods)
    They have talked about a lot of things to try to make it better, including planting trees. But you would be unable to make snow where they do that and you'd need to keep skiers/risers away from them for a few years to let them take hold. Tough to do with an open boundary to boundary policy. So nothing has happened (other than Poppy fields, which is awesome on green/orange/blue lines).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

I skied about 4 hours today, basically between Dream Maker and Cascades. They have blown some snow! Whales everywhere, soft and carve-able. Lessee iffin I can remember well enough, there were whales on Risky Business, Cascades, Ecstasy, Double dipper, Broadway, Mixing Bowl, Grand Rapids, Lower Downdraft and more. This should be spread out and help soften the terrain. There is a good deal of ice and boilerplate that can stand some covering up. What didn't have fresh man made on it was groomed up nicely and it was fast!

I gotta say, they are doing a great job recovering from the rain, some 2 inches in December.
    lovin life,

Bob

I skied for about 4 hours today and I gotta say that while this isn't quite the same as 3 days after a 10" snowstorm, the River is bouncing back nicely from the rain event with all the snow making. And they are still blowing snow. They pushed over all the whales from yesterday and groomed them out. Cascades was pretty rough, however, with death cookies all over it. The second day of grooming is always better than the first.

If you are planning on skiing this vacation week, you should be pretty happy. I am off for the week, bronze pass, intentionally bought so I won't be skiing with the crowds. Have a great week there!

Edit:

Forgot to mention the Barker quad was down again today. Snow mobile at the bottom and one headed up top. Not sure what happened, then I saw this picture on FB:

Not sure what it was, but apparently nothing with the drive or the top and bottom stations. A sensor or issue that caused the sensor to fault.
    Last edited by uphillklimber; Dec 25, 2018 at 3:53 PM.
    lovin life,

Bob

Interesting about Barker. Didn't even notice it being down today. Rode it a bunch around 10 and sporadically throughout the afternoon.

Glad it's nothing serious!

Thread Information