2018-2019 Sunday River

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

2018-2019 Sunday River

I gotta say, if you were considering maybe coming skiing, you could do a lot worse than to come to the River. Some 2 weeks ago, we got 10-12 inches of heavy wet stuff, followed by 3 hours of rain then freezing temps. Instant base across the mountain, in the trees on the trails, everywhere. Followed up by a few smaller snowstorms and it is pretty good what Mother Nature is giving.

Add to it that Sunday River is putting their best foot forward this year with snowmaking. A new pipe line from the pond, additional pump capacity, and today, they worked on or changed the pump out at the pond before firing up the guns a little after noon time. That and paying their snowmakers $20.00 per hour, they are putting their best foot forward with a full crew to erase the memory of last year's shortcomings.

46 trails open today. Top gun is open, Last Tango, upper cut, most of Goat path, Wildfire, the usual groomers, Ecstasy, Punch, Escapade, Right Stuff, Tourist trap, Lazy River. They are only running the Barker quad and Chondie mid week, more coming for the weekend, including Aurora and Spruce!!!

The coverage in the woods (Last Tango) is such I didn't hit any rocks, though you do have to pick and choose your paths. It is a blast right now, and it is only November 20th!
    lovin life,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by uphillklimber View Post
    I gotta say, if you were considering maybe coming skiing, you could do a lot worse than to come to the River. Some 2 weeks ago, we got 10-12 inches of heavy wet stuff, followed by 3 hours of rain then freezing temps. Instant base across the mountain, in the trees on the trails, everywhere. Followed up by a few smaller snowstorms and it is pretty good what Mother Nature is giving.

Add to it that Sunday River is putting their best foot forward this year with snowmaking. A new pipe line from the pond, additional pump capacity, and today, they worked on or changed the pump out at the pond before firing up the guns a little after noon time. That and paying their snowmakers $20.00 per hour, they are putting their best foot forward with a full crew to erase the memory of last year's shortcomings.

46 trails open today. Top gun is open, Last Tango, upper cut, most of Goat path, Wildfire, the usual groomers, Ecstasy, Punch, Escapade, Right Stuff, Tourist trap, Lazy River. They are only running the Barker quad and Chondie mid week, more coming for the weekend, including Aurora and Spruce!!!

The coverage in the woods (Last Tango) is such I didn't hit any rocks, though you do have to pick and choose your paths. It is a blast right now, and it is only November 20th!
    That's great news man.

Do you think Aurora and Spruce will be open on Friday, or would they wait until the weekend to open them up?

I would tend to think Friday they will open at least Spruce if not Aurora too. Especially given the Saturday night/Sunday AM forecast.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

They ran cat tracks up Risky business over the recently blown snow that we were skiing on yesterday. I suspect they intend to till that in pretty good tonight. Here is what the website says:

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and if you don't have plans, we've got you covered. This weekend 6 lifts will be spinning including access to green trails for beginner terrain off of South Ridge Express. Plus, we are expanding to Aurora Peak for an amazing Thanksgiving Weekend across five peaks.

I don't trust advertising speak. Call me cynical, but it sounds like they'll open Aurora and Spruce Saturday. I'd like to be wrong.

For anyone keeping track, Barker has broken down three times already. It's not like they had all Summer to get it taken care of.

Can't end this like that. Today's skiing was a most excellent product. The holiday crowds were making themselves known, but when they got the Barker lift back up and running wait times at the lifts were minimal.
    lovin life,

Bob

Spruce and South Ridge Quad join Barker/Locke Chondi Turkey Day, Aurora joins the fun Friday. All 4 days lifts spin at 8am!

Great news!!! Copied from the website:

Starting tomorrow through Sunday, lifts open at 8AM for early morning holiday turns. For Thursday, five lifts are scheduled to open including Spruce Peak Triple and South Ridge Express (including green terrain). Then on Friday, we'll open up Aurora Quad to access skiing on Northern Lights. And we'll keep you busy off the slopes all weekend, too.
    lovin life,

Bob

Skiing was... cold, today. I can bundle up for the cold, but the wind made for some looooong rides up the mountain. Lots of terrain open, no lines at the lifts, I was front of the line for Barker when they came out and said it'd be 15 minutes before they could load, but Locke was loading now, so I got first chair there, THE FIRST CHAIR. So far, Barker has broken down 3 times and was late starting today, again, not the first time this season. It's only November 22. At least they have Locke next door on standby.

It was an interesting mix on the snow today. The corduroy was fast, but the wind driven drifts would slow you right down. Once they were chopped up by the skiers, all was well.

They are blowing snow in the beginner area, next to the carpet lift (Sundance). Might be able to get the grandkids out there..... They are really putting their best foot forward with the snowmaking, IMO. I see several crews of 4 or 5 doing their thing, and I can't see what is happening in Aurora. That new water line, with either an improved or upgraded pump at the pond, to go with the crew they have hired, they are pumping out some snow! Word is the pipeline was supposed to be replaced in 4 years, but last year's constant broken pipes (At least 11 breaks), kinda pushed the issue to the forefront.

You know, I don't want to sound like I am hating on the barker quad, but there is a part of me hoping that lift fails so many times that it gets moved to the forefront and gets replaced next Summer. They've already had more than a few issues this season with it.

Sounds like Northern Lights is opening tomorrow. I just may have to check out the new terrain....
    lovin life,

Bob

I feel like they HAVE to replace it if they're having this many issues so early. Hopefully it gets better, but this is real rough.

Went early today, just checking in before I take my car to the garage. What a great job the groomers did, and they have snow to work with! They were blowing more snow on Escapade where the rocks were coming up thru, give the groomers more stuff to work with. Sundance is getting pasted right now if you want to bring some beginners up next week.

Ski conditions were fast and sunny with wind. Crowds were not bad, but they have a good deal of terrain open already, 58 trails, 305 acres.
    lovin life,

Bob

Absolutely fantastic conditions, is it really just November 23? Aurora opened today though Paradigm did not, meaning Sirius/Aludra only way in. Had to hike up to Northern Lights as the Aludra extension wasn't yet open. OR you could drop into an all natural Airglow and Black Hole!! Natural runs and woods everywhere, untracked natural a but windblown crust from yesterday. Crazy good.IMG_20181123_122323439.jpgIMG_20181123_120428674.jpg

Thread Information