2018-2019 Sunday River - Page 28

AlpineZone

Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
    Since we own at Brookside, White Cap is home base. I too Love White Heat Quad and the terrain it accesses. With the snow year we have had, terrain really is hard to beat off of it. I love that it is quiet but as someone who wants to see SR succeed for years to come, I feel like the mountain is not doing itself right with the current state of White Cap Lodge. Weekends and Peak days, the two other lodges are jam packed. But White Cap offers almost no services (Shipyard and Coffee Hound these days), not fast to get out of the base and move anywhere, just seems like a missed opportunity.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Since we own at Brookside, White Cap is home base. I too Love White Heat Quad and the terrain it accesses. With the snow year we have had, terrain really is hard to beat off of it. I love that it is quiet but as someone who wants to see SR succeed for years to come, I feel like the mountain is not doing itself right with the current state of White Cap Lodge. Weekends and Peak days, the two other lodges are jam packed. But White Cap offers almost no services (Shipyard and Coffee Hound these days), not fast to get out of the base and move anywhere, just seems like a missed opportunity.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app
    I absolutely agree with you. Hence my saying as someone who doesn't own at SR in the previous post. I can be a little more selfish when I'm a free agent year to year.

That said I want all mountains to succeed and thus do support revitalizing white cap, I'll just be a bit bitter about it for very selfish reasons.

No doubt about it Whitecap lodge is a dump. But it's got to be LOW on the priority list. If you were going to drop $5M tomorrow on a base lodge upgrade, rank which of them in terms of ROI you could expect the best return provided there are no changes to parking.

I'd say maybe a tie between South Ridge and Barker with Whitecap a distant 3rd. I'd guess slight edge to South ridge because it has the most parking, but Barker does have a longer season, it is small and is obviously very high traffic middle of the day.

That opinion is based off what SR was like ten years ago though. Ive probably averaged 1 day a year there since then. I could be way off base.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    No doubt about it Whitecap lodge is a dump. But it's got to be LOW on the priority list. If you were going to drop $5M tomorrow on a base lodge upgrade, rank which of them in terms of ROI you could expect the best return provided there are no changes to parking.

I'd say maybe a tie between South Ridge and Barker with Whitecap a distant 3rd. I'd guess slight edge to South ridge because it has the most parking, but Barker does have a longer season, it is small and is obviously very high traffic middle of the day.

That opinion is based off what SR was like ten years ago though. Ive probably averaged 1 day a year there since then. I could be way off base.

I don't think you are off base, I think you have a pretty good handle on it.
    lovin life,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post

A larger Barker would be welcome but the parking space there is always an issue. But given how racing at the mountain has grown, several weekends a year we need a much larger Barker to house the race teams and general patrons in a semi-civilized fashion. Being on mountain, we just avoid Barker those weekends. But that lodge gets packed often without a huge increase in vehicles parking at Barker (thanks to teams being bused in).

Plus, South Ridge has always been a bit of an add on lodge, growing here and there. I think some of it is good enough to just renovate, the add on up the slope portion could probably be ripped down and built back up new with a better flow/ level to the main Lodge portion.

Will be interesting to see if money flows from Boyne to the Eastern 3some. I know the Loafer's want some investment and Loon is still long in waiting on South Peak being completed finally, not to mention rumors of a new Gondola even after the new cabins for the current.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Skied 5 hours today with a friend, stayed on groomers which were pretty good! Naturals were pretty well closed anyways. Basically an inch or two of snow over the hard pan, which the groomers do a great job smoothing it out.

Mid day or so, we were coming up the chondi, over lower Downdraft. I saw a pair of skis laying in the middle of the trail, and 50-100 yards uphill, a gathering of people around a downed snowboarder. We headed down that way. My buddy got word that he flipped and landed on his head and he was just coming to. I had skied past the accident and gotten the two skis in the middle of the trail and set them just off the groomed snow surface.

I heard some folks hollering at me as I set the skis aside. they must have thought I was stealing them or something. Apparently, now, their skis in the middle of the trail matter???? I didn't respond to them because this kind of thing just ticks me off. Leaving gear on the trail like that. I had a friend, about a month ago, crack some ribs because of just the same thing. (A racer in the locals challenge left a ski pole behind and didn't tell anyone at the time station.) If I had talked to them, I might have ripped them a new one. So your kid gets hurt, let's hurt someone else.....

Anyways, I just left the skis on the side and kept going. Down at the base of the Spruce lift, we see a sled. He had received a call that this happened on American Express. We told him it was lower Downdraft, under the chondie. By then, someone else was coming with another sled. As near as we can surmise, the boarder had caught an edge and flipped. Hoping everything turns out alright.

Looks like the weather folks have canceled tomorrow's snow, it'll just be cloudy, but Friday looks like a day of mixed precip.... Get it while you can!
    lovin life,

Bob

Wow!!! Snowing to beat the band at the river. About everything is open, but we saw some folks going down Karumba and they were essentially washing the snow off the ice before it had a chance to grab. Visibility is an issue when it is snowing like this, so the woods were fine.

High winds tomorrow, might be some wind holds.

Talked to another black jacket. The location of the upper and lower bull wheel for the high speed T bar next to Monday morning has not yet been ironed out. He said they are hopeful they can cut a new entrance for crossbow so we can keep that trail. He wasn't so hopeful for tight wire.
    lovin life,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by uphillklimber View Post

Talked to another black jacket. The location of the upper and lower bull wheel for the high speed T bar next to Monday morning has not yet been ironed out. He said they are hopeful they can cut a new entrance for crossbow so we can keep that trail. He wasn't so hopeful for tight wire.
    I'm not surprised, all the clear cutting I had heard about had amounted to at most a survey line trimmed out by last weekend. Still shocks me they are debating closing Tightwire. Close it below 1500 road if you must, but trim a slightly different exit from 1500 onto RC and it should miss the first bank turn and down lower, skiers right is always open behind the lower banks. The other interesting thing with putting the T-Bar on that side of MM is that Over Easy from MM will not need to be permanently closed as well. This year they had used Over Easy for the competition starts on the cross trail. Will that mean they actually make snow and groom the upper section of Tightwire from Punch to Over Easy to access that cross start point moving forward?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

We did have to ask them to groom over easy for the races. We were blocked from coming down Monday Morning, as the real racers had 3 courses set up, while the Locals challenge had their two as well. What a total cluster Over Easy was, all rolling icy piles of snow. Folks were losing their skis and walking, etc... And.... if no one took up the sign that was closing over easy, I'm pretty sure the groomer wasn't getting out of his cab to do so, (and the sign may have been there for a reason he was unaware of, so above his pay grade).
    lovin life,

Bob

Funny weekend. Wind hold day yesterday, then a really nice spring day today with a variety of fresh snow properties from one area to another. The only downside was that the mountain has initiated late season lift shutdowns, resulting in apocalyptic lift lines when crowds showed up for the good day today.

It is really stupid to have 20 minute lift lines because you wouldn't pay an additional ~6 lifties on a March weekend. Today was a good day that could have been totally epic if you could lap things without long lines.

Thread Information