• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tenney

KD7000

True, $75 seems like a steep price for an unproven product. I guess you could consider part of the ticket price a donation towards the rebuild costs? Also, they're absolutely giving away seasons passes at $389 right now.

chuckstah

$75? Not sure I ever paid that much for a ticket being primarily a midweek skier, and always having a pass. If Tenney proves successful this year with both a long enough season and snowmaking on multiple routes, I'd consider a cheap pass there next season. They should get on the Freedom pass. That would add a lot of value.

deadheadskier

Staff member
True, $75 seems like a steep price for an unproven product. I guess you could consider part of the ticket price a donation towards the rebuild costs? Also, they're absolutely giving away seasons passes at $389 right now.
Ragged is the same market and was charging $250 early buy. They've got two high speed lifts and major snowmaking investments.

I bought a pass at Tenney the last two years it was open. $99. Skied there 5-6 times each year when the natural snow was good.

I'm thinking anything over $199 for a pass and $40 for a day ticket is too steep until they prove themselves.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
Does seem high. $25 a day for an NH college student--great buy. I imagine that they are obviously targetting PSU.

They just opened the Bar and Restaurant in the lodge. The FB videos show decent crowds turning out. That is good for them.

And I am not seeing any mention of night skiing. I also saw that they are not a part of SkiNH.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Does seem high. $25 a day for an NH college student--great buy. I imagine that they are obviously targetting PSU.

They just opened the Bar and Restaurant in the lodge. The FB videos show decent crowds turning out. That is good for them.
My understanding of PSU skiing program via Rivercoil (he works for PSU) is the student body votes on a home mountain for the season each fall. The options have been Waterville, Loon or Cannon in recent years. Tenney in the past as well. The mountain chosen for the season is where PSU provides transportation to. $7 a day ala Carte. Not a pass product.

thetrailboss

Staff member
My understanding of PSU skiing program via Rivercoil (he works for PSU) is the student body votes on a home mountain for the season each fall. The options have been Waterville, Loon or Cannon in recent years. Tenney in the past as well. The mountain chosen for the season is where PSU provides transportation to. $7 a day ala Carte. Not a pass product.

So if the students choose Loon a student pays $7 a day to ski there?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Newpylong

I wonder if pass buyers are aware what they're getting into. Unless there have been many undocumented changes (and things have happened that the major snowmaking vendors don't know about), they are going to again be largely natural snow only.

MEtoVTSkier

I wonder if pass buyers are aware what they're getting into. Unless there have been many undocumented changes (and things have happened that the major snowmaking vendors don't know about), they are going to again be largely natural snow only.

I was going to ask if you knew... is Tenney the only place left in NH trying to pump water with diesel pumps?

Newpylong

There are others, but not many... Wildcat has all new diesel boosters in their new mid mountain pump house that they put in a few years ago. They can't get 3 phase up there.

But no one else is trying to use equipment that sat there for 6 years and was vandalized/robbed of copper and lost their grandfathered DES operating permits. I also haven't heard of any significant used or new equipment purchases for on hill either. Coupled with no snowmaking to date, I am very skeptical of the whole thing. I of course, hope I am 100% wrong.

thetrailboss

Staff member
There are others, but not many... Wildcat has all new diesel boosters in their new mid mountain pump house that they put in a few years ago. They can't get 3 phase up there.

But no one else is trying to use equipment that sat there for 6 years and was vandalized/robbed of copper and lost their grandfathered DES operating permits. I also haven't heard of any significant used or new equipment purchases for on hill either. Coupled with no snowmaking to date, I am very skeptical of the whole thing. I of course, hope I am 100% wrong.

I thought he replaced those pumps last year or so?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

MEtoVTSkier

I believe if I remember what he posted on FB was, he replaced the dead diesel with another used one, from one of their old air compressors, changed some piping in the pumphouse to close the loop so they have a functioning return loop. They had a video at some point of running it and bringing it up to pressure, and testing their welding repairs to on on-hill pipe.

Not sure if they used that for snowmaking on the tubing run last year, or the portable/fire truck setup.

Last edited:

Newpylong

He had 6 Cummins - 2 compressors and 4 pumps, 2 of which were boosters. They've swamped some motors around due to damage, not sure what's working and what's not. I do know they used the smaller of the wet pit pumps on the tubing hill in the past and to test welding repairs.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Now that folks mention it, I have noticed as of late that we don't see any groomers (they were leasing some nice PB units I think) or snowmaking equipment being used or at least tested.

icecoast1

Now that folks mention it, I have noticed as of late that we don't see any groomers (they were leasing some nice PB units I think) or snowmaking equipment being used or at least tested.

The PBs got repoed during the mess his former partner caused didnt they? The one prinoth they have now is probably more than enough for the limited groomable terrain