• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Catskills this weekend.....

tnt1234

Sure, they didn't get clobbered with snow, but Hunter is as far north as I can get this weekend - how's it looking?

Really between Belleayre or Hunter.

Anyone in the area - how much snow is on the ground? Any chance to skin around Highmount? I'm sure there is not enough to really ski it.

Anyone else hitting Catskills? Let's take our mind off all the piles of snow we are missing further north and spark up the stoke!

asnowmobiler

I'm also trying to decide if it's worth it to head up there this weekend. The predicted rain here in the Poconos, means Saturday morning and then maybe Sunday afternoon are going to be the only windows available locally and with very limited terrain.

JimG.

Staff member
I was at Belleayre yesterday and what was open was fantastic, soft manmade with a few inches of thick powder on top. A few hard patches but mostly just packed powder. Powder under gondola was very nice, watch out for water bars.

Problem is they don't have much open and there isn't enough in the woods yet to do much more than venture along edges of trees; not enough base yet to make woods comfortably skiable.

Hunter will probably be your best bet. My plan was to go to K yesterday but roads in western Mass were a mess with untold numbers of cars crashed in ditches and really poor road conditions. I could only imagine what things were going to be like further north in VT and I was hearing about many trees down. I could see I was going to be driving far more time than I would get to spend skiing, so I ditched K and went to Belle.

I think you will enjoy whatever you pick in Cats. I'm heading to K Fri and Sat.

tnt1234

Thanks all - suddenly, work my screw this up, but if I can get out the door, I think it will be hunter.

mfi

Have to go to a party saturday...:(
Sunday i could go to Hunter but not if it rained all night.
Hoping for a good weekend after that.

Bandit2941

Actually skiied Hunter last Sunday after it rained all night and it was quite nice. This weekends weather looks to be a carbon copy of last weekend.

Belleayre was really nice Sunday as well. Hero snow. I’m not sure if we’re going to get as lucky this weekend since it looks like the rain is going to stay until after noon Sunday ��