• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

this weekend was incredible (mad river + smuggs)

KustyTheKlown

absolutely unbelievable for nov 30 and dec 1

skier packed powder and tree stashes on an empty MRG friday:
EBDBB8DA-03C8-4FF7-AF7F-0CA4DBF7CDF6.jpg
D0F39882-AB4D-460E-A1CA-38FFAC41ADC2.jpg
B11EA29B-F01D-40E4-BBCF-6AA6924CBB20.jpg

madonna mountain untouched after the 28” storm. medium density. perhaps the best eastern conditions ive ever skied. a three foot storm at mad river and Stowe in ~2012 is the only thing that may have been better for me. and then, an inversion

45D56AF6-1BE6-470A-B077-221AF602D655.jpg
8B6594B1-4ED8-4105-8C0F-EE20F1D6AB0E.jpg

KustyTheKlown

It drives me crazy how my pics post sideways. I wonder if it’s bc they are square? I do that for Instagram. @sjs.ski.nyc

Edd

This is always my advice but it’s so easy to post pics from the app compared to a PC. Not sure about the square thing.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Ol Dirty Noodle

Great pics, I’m booked for 5 days at smuggs the week of MLK day, can’t wait to get up there, would love to hit VT or NH before Xmas

LItoCOtoMA

Was up at Stowe Saturday. Day was amazing.

58478794f8d835aeb619c01849a03d78.jpg

^^Goat at 8 AM for run #1

0dd5bfb7fd7b0a7ce75bda753729d2e5.jpg

^^ Nosedive glades they opened nosedive around 945. Got one of the first runs. Took bypass to the chutes and dropped in on rimrock. Looked up and patrol still had it roped off. Me and the 3 other people looked at patrol and just dove into the glades. A lot of untouched left in there.

Overall Saturday was one of my favorite days in recent in the last 2-3 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KustyTheKlown

i think its lame that stowe wasnt at or close to 100% last weekend. they are too prissy. throw up some experts only/exposed obstacles/water bars signs at the top and let the people have at it. smuggs was very cool about having essentially EVERYTHING open. there was one or two ropes on madonna for the trails that cut off to the right towards morse. a patroller told me there was just a lot of open water down that way

i dont get to smuggs very often. its very far, and its never on my passes, and it has usually has not been one of my skiVT 5-pack picks. but every time i've been there (skied there maybe 5-7 days total, all in past ~7 years), i am struck by how consistently difficult and steep the terrain is, how there are so many trees to ski on and off map, how the access to the sidecountry could not be easier, and by the generally awesome vibe of the mountain and the town.

the first time i went there i ended up meeting a rad vt state legislator on the sterling lift who took me straight to the back bowls. i've had really great conversations there on almost every lift ride - it's a passionate skier crowd skiing super challenging terrain on madonna and sterling, and it's really nice just chatting with other hardcore skiers for 12 minutes. this past weekend i met some nyc based dudes around my age who rip and we exchanged info.

i really love it there. driving away from smuggs and thru the nearby towns on saturday i couldn't help but fantasize about buying a little place up there and somehow just living 20 minutes down the road from smuggs full time. maybe one day

i hope vail doesnt buy it and connect it to stowe. it's a pretty special place as it is. on the same short list with magic, mad river, and plattekill.

deadheadskier

Staff member
i think its lame that stowe wasnt at or close to 100% last weekend. they are too prissy. throw up some experts only/exposed obstacles/water bars signs at the top and let the people have at it. smuggs was very cool about having essentially EVERYTHING open. there was one or two ropes on madonna for the trails that cut off to the right towards morse. a patroller told me there was just a lot of open water down that way

i dont get to smuggs very often. its very far, and its never on my passes, and it has usually has not been one of my skiVT 5-pack picks. but every time i've been there (skied there maybe 5-7 days total, all in past ~7 years), i am struck by how consistently difficult and steep the terrain is, how there are so many trees to ski on and off map, how the access to the sidecountry could not be easier, and by the generally awesome vibe of the mountain and the town.

the first time i went there i ended up meeting a rad vt state legislator on the sterling lift who took me straight to the back bowls. i've had really great conversations there on almost every lift ride - it's a passionate skier crowd skiing super challenging terrain on madonna and sterling, and it's really nice just chatting with other hardcore skiers for 12 minutes. this past weekend i met some nyc based dudes around my age who rip and we exchanged info.

i really love it there. driving away from smuggs and thru the nearby towns on saturday i couldn't help but fantasize about buying a little place up there and somehow just living 20 minutes down the road from smuggs full time. maybe one day

i hope vail doesnt buy it and connect it to stowe. it's a pretty special place as it is. on the same short list with magic, mad river, and plattekill.
You need to visit Wildcat someday. Same scene, though serviced by a kick ass HSQ.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

KustyTheKlown

been to wildcat once. less than ideal conditions, but the view of tuckerman is epic, and the vibe is definitely similar to my "short list"'

i dig cannon, skied there maybe 5 days ever