Lodges that don't allow outside food - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I'm with the ski mountain on this. Do they make "too much money" in this business? I have no idea.

But it is their business. How about we raise the price of skiing by $20 a day and allow any outside food, cooking whatever? Or maybe just don't allow outside food and then the cost is borne more fairly.

I say brown bags ok, be quick and don't monopolize the table on a busy day.

At Cannon you get relegated to the basement to brown bag it
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Big old Shoutout to loveland for having multiple places to grill off/bake your lunch (Oregon stove was my jam) and unless it changed a straight kitchen with plugs and a sink for your crackpot. You wanna eat your lunch downstairs in the bar? Yeah that's cool. Vail actually has a sweet grill spot on the top of blue ski....yeah you gotta plan and bring your own charcoal but beats the hell out of a 20 dollar ala cart burger. If a place isn't lunch friendly they don't get my 2 pint lunch money...ill go to the car.

I take my own food into a lodge quite often. However, I always buy something from the cafeteria to go with it, a beverage and some other type of food item. I usually buy a beer after skiing too. So, I don't feel guilty bringing my own food into any lodge.

I think it depends on the lodge too and type of food/beverage outlet. For instance, I'll take my own food into the Cannon base lodge cafeteria. However, I would never take it into the Cannoball Pub-a bar/restaurant- right next to the cafeteria area.

Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    I take my own food into a lodge quite often. However, I always buy something from the cafeteria to go with it, a beverage and some other type of food item. I usually buy a beer after skiing too. So, I don't feel guilty bringing my own food into any lodge.
    I fall into this category. I may bring sandwiches once in a while, but end up getting coffee/soda/beer/booze and sides like fries and whatnot to go with it. I'm ok with that, and we don't hog tables all day.

Quote Originally Posted by FBGM View Post
    Do you bring your food to Applebee’s? How about your own 6 pack to the bar.

People who camp and cook out at ski resorts are dirty hippies or cheap bums.

I’ll funnel my own beers in the parking lot and throw crushed empties at Jerry’s off the lift. That $25 burger tho goes to the bottom line. How else is Mt Blow going to be able to spread mulch? They can’t borrow any more funny money.
    I mean tbh i don't think a lodge is a fair comparison to a restaurant. A lodge is more like a cafeteria. It's not table service (unless you are in the restaurant ares, in which case I would get it). But esp for a family or similar, the food can outprice the lift tickets. NOt everyone can swing that. Maybe a famliy can get more ski days in in a year by spending money on tickets instead of chili bread bowls.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    I'm with the ski mountain on this. Do they make "too much money" in this business? I have no idea.

But it is their business. How about we raise the price of skiing by $20 a day and allow any outside food, cooking whatever? Or maybe just don't allow outside food and then the cost is borne more fairly.

I say brown bags ok, be quick and don't monopolize the table on a busy day.
    I'm in this one. I don't think you should crockpot it up in there. A thermos or packable lunch is one thing. Don't hog the table.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

I get that resorts are entitled to make a buck with their food service operations, and that for a lot of folks a good lunch during a ski day is big part of the fun. But for an old schooler like me, I think ski lodges are firstly a retreat from the cold; i.e., a place to get your gear sorted at the start of a day and a safe refuge when you get cold and/or hungry any time during your visit. On really harsh/cold days they are not just a money maker for hungry and captive guests, they are necessary shelter that any responsible resort must provide free of cost (with lift ticket) in the interest of public safety.

Having said that, in the US East most resorts offer lodges that are much more user-friendly to guests in general and particularly to brown baggers, then in the US West. Also, I recently visited some ski areas in Western Canada such as Lake Louise, Revy and Mt. Norquay and found them to be super friendly to brown baggers and great about providing free cubbies in lodges for storing your stuff during the day.

Not my photo (from admin at FTOL), but one of my favorite places in Utah for no-hassle brown bagging lunch is a heated room with comfy chairs, big windows and nearby restrooms, in lower level of the mid-mtn Mid Gad Restaurant at Snowbird, behind entrance sign:

Just don't try to take your peanut butter and jelly sandwich up to the Snowbird Summit Restaurant.
    Last edited by jimk; Dec 8, 2018 at 8:29 AM.

Thread Information