Lodges that don't allow outside food

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Lodges that don't allow outside food

I've heard some rumblings that the new Carinthia lodge at Mt. Snow won't allow outside food to be brought in. I've seen ski areas that don't allow coolers and I get that. They're bulky, can't go in the bag check slots and they don't want people camping out a table for 2 hours during lunch whilst they lay out a three course lunch.

Are there other places that don't allow outside food in their base lodges? I can't say I've come across that in recent years. My wife and I often bring in snacks in our bags or coats and have never had an issue.
    SoVT

Yes there are. In my experience though if folks are respectful and don't take up too much space or time, they are fine.

And I love your comment about people camping out. I used to see it at Sugarbush North and Burke a lot. I know we have at least one thread somewhere with folks commenting about this phenomenon. I haven't really seen that out here much. Mainly because most folks boot up at their cars and don't really use the lodge per se. Some places don't even really have a true "lodge".
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I've heard some rumblings that the new Carinthia lodge at Mt. Snow won't allow outside food to be brought in. I've seen ski areas that don't allow coolers and I get that. They're bulky, can't go in the bag check slots and they don't want people camping out a table for 2 hours during lunch whilst they lay out a three course lunch.

Are there other places that don't allow outside food in their base lodges? I can't say I've come across that in recent years. My wife and I often bring in snacks in our bags or coats and have never had an issue.
    Where does the crock pot full of chili fall in this? And have to find a table to camp out at near an outlet to plug it in. I chuckle when I see the mom trying to carry the overflowing crock pot up the stairs and into the lodge. I do think that is a bit much, like the cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by tumbler View Post
    Where does the crock pot full of chili fall in this? And have to find a table to camp out at near an outlet to plug it in. I chuckle when I see the mom trying to carry the overflowing crock pot up the stairs and into the lodge. I do think that is a bit much, like the cooler.
    See this a TON at many of the races my kids go to. Table cloth set up with the crock pot on the table, and that table is strictly off limits all but any immediate close friends/teammates all day....

As for the Carinthia lodge situation, I look at it not so much like a base lodge but more like a mid mountain or summit lodge.

Going to be interesting to see how this all plays out in the new Carinthia lodge. I hope they put extra trash cans in the parking lot, since my hunch is they'll be lots more eating (and drinking) out of cars in that lot....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

Quote Originally Posted by tumbler View Post
    This is a weird phenomena that you occasionally, though rarely see. Except at Gore. At Gore you'll see 5 to 10 crock pots going in the lodge. I find it very strange.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    See this a TON at many of the races my kids go to. Table cloth set up with the crock pot on the table, and that table is strictly off limits all but any immediate close friends/teammates all day....
    Is that a rule established by the mountain, or is that just obnoxiously entitled "race people" behaviour?
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Do you bring your food to Applebee’s? How about your own 6 pack to the bar.

People who camp and cook out at ski resorts are dirty hippies or cheap bums.

I’ll funnel my own beers in the parking lot and throw crushed empties at Jerry’s off the lift. That $25 burger tho goes to the bottom line. How else is Mt Blow going to be able to spread mulch? They can’t borrow any more funny money.

When I was a teenager we used to love just sitting down, start smelling the chili. Mom would get all pissed off and we'd ignore her. Not once did any of her supposedly family show up and claim these supposed reserved seats. You don't own the lodge.

That all being said, I do find it funny that someone would get all in a huff about them not allowing food (ala start this thread). You going to roll into a restaurant and break out some sandwiches?
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

Oooh. This is a subject I get fired-up about. I’m cheap and old. I’ve been a DIY lunch person for 50 years of skiing. (I’ve been a brown bagger at work for nearly as long.) When my kids were young I did the crock pot in the ski lodge thing. Occasionally, I do my own grilling in a base lot, or even better, somewhere up on the slopes. To this day the vast majority of my ski lunches consist of a can of soda (sometimes other beverages), PB&J sandwich, chips, fruit, and candy, all brought from home in a backpack that I keep in my car, hide in a lodge, or bury beside a trail. I have been told to cease and desist my PB&Js at some of the finest mtns in the country including Snowbird Summit Restaurant in 2017, Keystone Dercum Summit Lodge in 2015, etc. going way back. Does that food court at Stowe/Spruce base prohibit outside food? I try to be discreet about pulling out my own food inside a ski lodge (or on lodge decks) whether there is a sign posted prohibiting outside food or not - to avoid awkward moments. I have identified good spots at some of my favorite ski areas where I can eat my stuff without being bothered. I buy my lunch once in a while, but sometimes those bigger lodge meals make me feel like a slug in the afternoon. Even when I was doing the crock pot thing, I was sensitive about not hogging an empty table.
    Last edited by jimk; Dec 7, 2018 at 2:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Is that a rule established by the mountain, or is that just obnoxiously entitled "race people" behaviour?
    It's not so much the "entitled" race parents from larger mountains as much as it is the race parents from smaller mountains. Since for most races, you need to have your kids at the mountain before 1st chair, the "crock pot crew" gets their pick of prime tables with outlet access before the masses hit the base lodge, and then if those parents aren't skiing that day (some racer parents will ski on race day, while others just hike to watch their kids runs) they're hanging out at the table, and holding spaces for when their kids come in, basically all day

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

Thread Information