MRG first timer

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MRG first timer

MRG first timer

So I think I am ready for my first trip to Mad River Glen. I am excited to visit this historic place but also a little nervous about the difficulty level given how they are always bragging about how hard it is. I am able to ski most runs at Magic but not Red Line, Black Magic or Magician, and the last cliff at the bottom of Black Line is a challenge. What are the least difficult blacks off the single and double chairs at MRG and how would they compare to Magic? Which runs have cliffs, would like to avoid those at least to start. Also do they still have free hosted mountain tours on weekends ?

How is your bump skiing? If you're at all comfortable in the bumps, there is a ton of stuff all over the mountain for every level. If you need groomers, then there will be usually only a few options down, but go anyway, it's a special/classic place that any skier deserves treating themselves to.

watch for that walk from the parking lot, it’s a doozy

Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    watch for that walk from the parking lot, it’s a doozy
    I went to MRG a few years ago and had a great time. Don't let the slogan fool you, the terrain is challenging, but certainly other resorts have challenging terrain also. As mentioned if you can ski bumps and natural snow you will have a blast. I didn't encounter any "mandatory" air there, at least not that I recall.

A really fun place and experience, it's completely epic after a storm, but also the single chair line can get crazy backed up when conditions are good. I think when I was there I only ended up doing 6 runs or so in the entire day.

Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Outside of cliffs hidden in unmarked woods runs, most are easily avoidable at MRG and have bail out options. Even in Paradise you can find ways around the drops.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Get on the single chair immediately. It is as iconic as anything in American skiing. You will be able to see some of the tougher terrain from the chair, but from summit take Upper Antelope trail to Broadway and then Easy Way to base, this is all blue or green runs and a great intro to the beauty of the area.

I wrote this report shortly after my first ever day at MRG in 2010. I'd been skiing 40+ years all around the world by that point, but you can tell by reading it that the place still blew me away, been back several times since: http://www.dcski.com/articles/1236

Last edited by jimk; Dec 8, 2018 at 8:44 AM.

beware of the rabbit holes

Quote Originally Posted by urungus View Post
    So I think I am ready for my first trip to Mad River Glen. I am excited to visit this historic place but also a little nervous about the difficulty level given how they are always bragging about how hard it is.
    Marketing shtick. There's hard stuff at plenty of Vermont mountains, and easy stuff too.

In other news, they unveiled a cool webcam this week which rotates through 6 views:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S72a...5S_nULk7I910X4
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    Get on the single chair immediately. It is as iconic as anything in American skiing. You will be able to see some of the tougher terrain from the chair, but from summit take Upper Antelope trail to Broadway and then Easy Way to base, this is all blue or green runs and a great intro to the beauty of the area.

I wrote this report shortly after my first ever day at MRG in 2010. I'd been skiing 40+ years all around the world by that point, but you can tell by reading it that the place still blew me away, been back several times since: http://www.dcski.com/articles/1236

Great report but you did mention that there is “mandatory air over a pair of six foot frozen waterfalls” on Paradise. I don’t mind steep ungroomed bumpy trails with natural snow, but that sounds like a little much for me. What would you recommend trying next from the summit after tackling Upper Antelope?

In a good snow year the Paradise waterfall is easy to bypass. But if it's not to that point there's plenty of other stuff from the top like Lynx and Fall Line. Don't sleep on the terrain off the double either.

For the record, I (still) try to avoid mandatory air because I can never land it. Usually skip lower Lift Line for this reason. But every time I go there I lap Paradise...so much fun.
    2003-2004: 21; 2004-2005: 27; 2005-2006: 31; 2006-2007: 31; 2007-2008: 38; 2008-2009: 43; 2009-2010: 42; 2010-2011: 46; 2011-2012: 33; 2012-2013: 26 2013-14: 18; 2014-15: 17; 2015-16: 7; 2016-17: 14; 2017-18: 23; 2018-19

2019-20 days - 5
    Wachusett: 11/15, 11/21, 12/5
    Stratton: 11/26; Mt. Snow: 12/3

Thread Information