• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged's New GM

Killingtime

And I had no idea that Ragged was owned by an SLC group that I have never heard of.[/QUOTE]

It looks like they are more of a property development company than ski resort operators but that's great for Jay Gamble that he can continue doing something that he obviously enjoys.

machski

And I had no idea that Ragged was owned by an SLC group that I have never heard of.

It looks like they are more of a property development company than ski resort operators but that's great for Jay Gamble that he can continue doing something that he obviously enjoys.[/QUOTE]And from all appearances, he did a very good job of it at Sunapee. He should do well at Ragged, hope it transfers to on the hill.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

MG Skier

With Vail buying Sunapee, I wonder if there will be more of a push to get Pinnacle completed at Ragged.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Even with repurposing the lifts they have taken down and putting them over at Pinnacle, that would still be an expensive project. Air/Water lines etc....I agree, it will be interesting to see. That Pinnacle plan has been out there for a few years now.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I am going to Ragged for the first time this season. Trail map makes it look pretty big but vertical of roughly 1,000ft is pretty bad. Maybe that expansion can put them into the NH big leagues?

Jully

I am going to Ragged for the first time this season. Trail map makes it look pretty big but vertical of roughly 1,000ft is pretty bad. Maybe that expansion can put them into the NH big leagues?

Pinnacle will add more cruising terrain and another ~1000' vert pod. Overall vert won't increase. I hate the pitch on the main face (Yankee and Showboat are good on Spear), so I hope these trails have a bit more diversity in pitch (can't say character because they're all cut to be boulevards).

That said in NH there are only a handful of lifts that provide more than 1300' vert. The 6 pack is 1100'. The Ravine is nearly 1000' of glades which is pretty unique in southern VT/NH/ME.

thetrailboss

Staff member
A few questions:

1. Did Jay retire from Sunapee or did Vail suggest he retire?
2. Pacific Group Resorts seems to be an interesting dark horse. They own some medium-sized areas including Wisp and Wintergreen. Looks like they have been involved in some condo and base area development. Anyone know anything more about them?
3. How has Ragged been doing under them? Is Bob Fries still involved?

I also see that they just picked up Powderhorn Mountain Resort in Colorado. A medium-sized locals place outside of Grand Junction.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Pinnacle will add more cruising terrain and another ~1000' vert pod. Overall vert won't increase. I hate the pitch on the main face (Yankee and Showboat are good on Spear), so I hope these trails have a bit more diversity in pitch (can't say character because they're all cut to be boulevards).

That said in NH there are only a handful of lifts that provide more than 1300' vert. The 6 pack is 1100'. The Ravine is nearly 1000' of glades which is pretty unique in southern VT/NH/ME.
Yeah, when I saw what was actually cut on Pinnacle I was tremendously disappointed. They had a clean slate to cut some great character trails and blew it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Newpylong

It was suggested that Jay retire. They wanted to move Bruce Schmidt there (ex-Okemo GM).

Ragged has been doing well. They put a good amount into the snowmaking pond expansion and with "Mission Affordable" ie cheap as hell passes and nearly free lessons they have grown their user base. Whether the increased volumes with less margin equates to long term success has yet to be seen. A good indicator will be when their next large capital investment occurs.

Jully

It was suggested that Jay retire. They wanted to move Bruce Schmidt there (ex-Okemo GM).

Ragged has been doing well. They put a good amount into the snowmaking pond expansion and with "Mission Affordable" ie cheap as hell passes and nearly free lessons they have grown their user base. Whether the increased volumes with less margin equates to long term success has yet to be seen. A good indicator will be when their next large capital investment occurs.

I'd especially be curious about how the free lessons turns into long term customers a few years down the line. It'd be hard to track, but I hope they have some kind of survey for both program graduates 1 year out and for season passholders. A $70 rest of season pass after your third lesson and unlimited additional lessons for $30 for the entire following season makes it so easy for folks to return to Ragged in the immediate aftermath if they liked skiing even moderately.