Teaching the girlfriend to ski. Where to go for a first timer? - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fantastic advice given in this thread so far. I'll just reiterate the most important bits in hopes you heed them.

1) Do not teach her yourself (go group lesson or private lesson route).

2) Do not have her ski 3 days in a row. Do Friday & Sunday, and hydrate, massage, anti-inflammatory meds after first day.

And if you dont know, January is Learn To Ski Month, and every resort does uber-cheap packages that incude rentals, lift ticket, and a lesson. If you can, hit at least 2 of those weekends in January and she will make great strides with instruction, and cheaply to boot.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

...and try to pick a warm day.

I bucked convention and taught my wife (girlfriend at the time) and subsequently her sister how to ski.

We went to a small mountain in Connecticut. Mountains in Vermont can be somewhat intimidating to a first timer.

I'm a fairly laid back person. In the beginning, I could hang back, run blocker and follow my wife down a long meandering green. A number of years later, we spent part of a day with one of her friends who was a beginner. My wife said to me: "How did you do that every weekend while I was learning?" HA!

If you aren't comfortable teaching her, certainly go the lesson route. If a smaller mountain isn't available, find a day where it's comfortable in terms of temps. Someone's first day can determine their willingness to stick with it.
    SoVT

Take her to a big resort so she can experience all of what skiing is about. Bigger mountains and scenery, more to do off the hill since it is a long weekend and so she can feel the vibe of skiing and apres and the fun that it all is. It's more than just the actual skiing. And absolutely put her in lessons.

Lots of good advice here, but depending on the health of your relationship (good communication is established), you may want to do a bit by yourself before having her in a group lesson. A lot of people don't learn much in group lessons and private lessons can be much more effective if some basics are already there.
    Just spend a bit of time with her showing how to move around on skis on flat terrain, so she gets somewhat comfortable having the skis on and knows how to find her balance, i.e. standing on one ski while picking up the other, etc.
    If you can teach her how to use the skating method of moving on skis, she will be well along in the learning process. Worth a try and being on flat terrain will be a very good place to start.
    Live for today

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpsis View Post
    Lots of good advice here, but depending on the health of your relationship (good communication is established), you may want to do a bit by yourself before having her in a group lesson. A lot of people don't learn much in group lessons and private lessons can be much more effective if some basics are already there.
    Just spend a bit of time with her showing how to move around on skis on flat terrain, so she gets somewhat comfortable having the skis on and knows how to find her balance, i.e. standing on one ski while picking up the other, etc.
    If you can teach her how to use the skating method of moving on skis, she will be well along in the learning process. Worth a try and being on flat terrain will be a very good place to start.
    I disagree completely. Don't teach her anything besides walking out of the rental shop in ski boots, especially if you're not educated on the sport yourself. Sounds like a recipe for bad habits to form, and for an adult it could be YEARS before they're comfortable enough to break out of bad habits if it makes them feel safe/secure. Kids are much more malleable without a sense of fear. They can ski down in a massive death wedge but a great coach could get them out of that habit in a few lessons. Adults tho...once they're in their comfort zone they tend to stay in it...especially when getting out of it means risking breaking a leg or arm.

I will add I would RECOMMEND a group lesson over a private for a first-timer adult. It breaks the tension tremendously. Just like kids...adults are there to have fun...you lose the social aspect of a lesson when it's a private lesson. A few women out on the magic carpet falling on their butts on snow is gonna generate some laughs from the group if they jive well...one person being taught by Hans Skiinstructorheimer is much more intimidating.
    2018-2019 90 days and holding...
    Thunder Ridge: 12/1, 12/15, 12/23, 12/24, 12/26, 12/27, 12/29, 12/30, 12/31, 1/1, 1/5, 1/12, 1/13, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1/25, 1/26, 1/27, 2/1, 2/2, 2/3, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/15, 2/16, 2/17, 2/18, 2/20, 2/22, 2/23, 2/24, 3/2, 3/3, 3/10, 3/16, 3/17
    Killington: 11/16, 12/7, 12/9, 12/13, 12/20, 1/8, 1/9, 1/14, 1/23, 2/13, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 3/23, 3/24, 3/29, 3/30, 4/7, 4/20, 4/21, 5/4, 5/5
    Sugarbush: 12/8, 1/3, 1/17, 1/18, 4/6, 4/19 Mount Snow: 10/27, 11/21, 12/12
    Sunday River: 3/11, 3/12, 3/13
    Magic: 11/30, 1/11, 3/9 Jay Peak: 12/18, 1/15 Smuggler's Notch: 12/17 Sunapee: 12/19 Mad River Glen: 1/2 Mohawk: 1/4 Okemo: 1/7, 4/5 Pico: 1/10 Burke: 1/16 Belleayre: 2/1 Catamount: 2/6 Jiminy Peak: 2/12 Berkshire East: 3/6 Wildcat: 3/14 Bretton Woods: 3/15
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    I disagree completely. Don't teach her anything besides walking out of the rental shop in ski boots, especially if you're not educated on the sport yourself.........I will add I would RECOMMEND a group lesson over a private for a first-timer adult. It breaks the tension tremendously.
    +1
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    I disagree completely. Don't teach her anything besides walking out of the rental shop in ski boots, especially if you're not educated on the sport yourself. Sounds like a recipe for bad habits to form, and for an adult it could be YEARS before they're comfortable enough to break out of bad habits if it makes them feel safe/secure. Kids are much more malleable without a sense of fear. They can ski down in a massive death wedge but a great coach could get them out of that habit in a few lessons. Adults tho...once they're in their comfort zone they tend to stay in it...especially when getting out of it means risking breaking a leg or arm.

I will add I would RECOMMEND a group lesson over a private for a first-timer adult. It breaks the tension tremendously. Just like kids...adults are there to have fun...you lose the social aspect of a lesson when it's a private lesson. A few women out on the magic carpet falling on their butts on snow is gonna generate some laughs from the group if they jive well...one person being taught by Hans Skiinstructorheimer is much more intimidating.
    100% great advice here!!

I would say that possibly the only thing a spouse/significant other should even consider trying to "teach" a newbie who makes up the other half of their relationship, is how to properly carry their skis/poles out of the rental shop and over to the ski school meeting location without looking like a dork in the process!
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

Quote Originally Posted by andrec10 View Post
    Take her to a smaller area. Might be less intimidating!
    I agree, it seams most big mountains add little value in terms of terrain if you don't know what your doing and probably not worth the extra drive. Have her learn the basics where it is convenient, it will save you time and money. I have not seen a compelling reason to go to a big mountain and spend it on the bunny hill, unless you just want the resort. You could always book a 3 day weekend afterwards.

Years ago my husband decided to try skiing. He was 50 at the time. We went to Bretton Woods. They have a great learner area and with the Jan Learn to Ski program it was cheap. You also get the benefit of The Mount Washington Hotel.

Thread Information