• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "News of the Weird" Thread

ctenidae

Really? How so?

All 1992 Lexuses are beaters.

As to the running of plates,
US vs Ellison 04-1925 "... a motorist has no reasonable expectation of privacy in the information contained on his license plate under the Fourth Amendment."

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-6th-circuit/1031532.html

If that search shows your license is suspended (or, as in the case of Mr. Ellison, you have an outstanding felony warrant), they've got probable cause.

legalskier

If that search shows your license is suspended (or, as in the case of Mr. Ellison, you have an outstanding felony warrant), they've got probable cause.

That only gets the officer past the first step he took....only one of many ensuing problematic steps, particularly with regard to the passenger who he later ended up arresting. It's called boot strapping. Each step has to have some justification. If I were to submit an amicus curia brief, this would be exhibit A:

RubeGoldbergMailLetter.jpg

:smile:

I have a inkling as to what ultimately will happen with this case.

ctenidae

With Ellison, or the Ibuprofen pusher?

With Ellison, he ended up being arrested for felony handgun possession. The appeal was that the police shouldn't have run the tags on his illegaly parked van. Why the cop waited until they left the parking lot, I don't know, but it's probably not material.

Geoff

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
That only gets the officer past the first step he took....only one of many ensuing problematic steps, particularly with regard to the passenger who he later ended up arresting. It's called boot strapping. Each step has to have some justification. If I were to submit an amicus curia brief, this would be exhibit A:

:smile:

There is such a thing as "officer's discretion" before arresting her. The officer should have confiscated the pills, given her his business card, written the case # on the back, and told her to have the person who's name is on the bottle come pick up the pills at police HQ.

ctenidae

legalskier

With Ellison, or the Ibuprofen pusher?.

The "ibuprofen pusher?" :???:
If she's guilty of possession of drugs, then so is anyone who goes to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription for a sick spouse or child at home. (Maybe that's what she was doing?) For that matter, so is the clerk in the store who takes the bottle from the pharmacist and brings it to the customer at the counter.

ctenidae

The "ibuprofen pusher?" :???:
If she's guilty of possession of drugs, then so is anyone who goes to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription for a sick spouse or child at home. (Maybe that's what she was doing?) For that matter, so is the clerk in the store who takes the bottle from the pharmacist and brings it to the customer at the counter.

That's what they charged her with, anyway. I suppose, technically, it is possesion of a controlled substance. Still don't understand why that is. Seems like a bit of a reach for a cop who had nothing better to do.