• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "News of the Weird" Thread

bvibert

Staff member
More states should use the firing squad. It's got to be cheaper than lethal injection. I'd think that a few shots to the head will kill pretty quickly.

mondeo

Another take on the story, with some decent commentary:
http://jalopnik.com/5570626/nude-woman-in-utah-steals-two-cars-in-years-weirdest-chase

And given that it was an early morning arrest and mugshot, I'm gonna go with it wasn't the typical bout of, "Why, God why, did someone with that body type decide to go naked?" Also, their other story has her FB picture, which while smaller backs it up. Also her last post was about a court hearing on July 6 for disturbing the peace for either another offense or a prescient judge.

ctenidae

"Gerhardt said this is the first time Boulder police have received a complaint about a leprechaun."

May be the first time that sentiment has ever been expressed.

drjeff

Where does that guy work? He must, because I'm sure none of that crap is cheap.

I'm guessing that he either owns or works at a tattoo/piercing parlor or has a really, really, really good friend or sibling that does!

legalskier

The police report (second pg. of the story) says that his employer is Tulsa Community College, Metro Campus.
I suppose they're an equal opportunity employer.
VERY equal! :smile:

drjeff

The police report (second pg. of the story) says that his employer is Tulsa Community College, Metro Campus.
I suppose they're an equal opportunity employer.
VERY equal! :smile:

Prolly in the counseling services department :-o

Somehow I'm guessing that he's NOT lecturing about say European 18th century Literature or Quantum Physics ;) :lol: Now leacturing about abstract/performance art, that I could see!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Animal Cruelty Charges May Result from Parasailing Donkey Stunt
Owners of a Russian beach resort could receive jail time as a result of an appalling publicity stunt.
July 21, 2010

Beach-goers at a resort at the Sea of Azov in southern Russia were horrified by what was meant to be an advertising stunt for a nearby resort. Employees from the resort strapped a donkey to a parachute towed by a speedboat to advertise parasailing at the resort.

Instead of attracting tourists, the stunt upset many of the vacationers at the beach and caused children to burst into tears as the donkey brayed in fear overhead. The donkey floated above the beach for approximately half an hour before enduring a rough landing in the water and being dragged out onto the shore.

London newspaper The Guardian quoted a local woman who recognized the animal. "This is a little town and we all know that donkey well," she said. "He worked for several years on the beach, being photographed with tourists. As soon as his ordeal was over, a lot of the people on the beach ran forward to soothe him."

Though the donkey was strapped into the parasailing rig in front of beach-goers, many of whom took photos and video with their cell phones, no one stopped the men from carrying out the plan.

"The donkey screamed and children cried," police spokeswoman Larisa Tuchova told reporters. "No one had the brains to call police."

In the end, the publicity stunt has backfired on its organizers. They are being questioned by police and can face up to two years in jail if found guilty of animal cruelty charges.