Who is your favorite musician?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

All time favorite. Singular musician, not band. No looking back and saying, "I've loved so many, I can name ten and here's why they were all great!" Not the thread topic. Only interested in responses from those who can reflect back and say this is the guy/girl whose music colored me most.

Probably comes as a surprise to no one, but my answer is

Jerry Garcia

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

While I love Garcia he has been dead for almost 24 years. Bob Weir I have seen so many times more playing with so many incarnations of the dead and each interpretation different. I love Bob now. Jerry was such a let down at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Tough question.

I started listening to music (other than top 40 force fed shit) around 1974 or so, when I was kinda old enough to think a bit on my own. Dead, Allmans, Traffic, CSNY, Zep, Floyd......Saw my first Jerry show in '79, first Dead in'80, Neil young in '80 or so. CSN shortly after that. My last time seeing Jerry was 1995, like many. My last time seeing Neil was this past September, and he was still great. I've had a 45 or so year history seeing Neil live, 1979-1995 seeing Jerry. All great.

So, gotta go with Neil for current times, and bonus points for smoking a fattie with him once, back in '84. Jerry is the clear winner 'til his last day, but as ST said it's been a long time.

Joe Satriani. Without a doubt. Satch's music has been the soundtrack of my life, more than any other artist or band, for >25 years. (I'm 45 now.)
    My screen name borrows from the title of one of his signature songs.
    (Song starts around 2:00):
    https://youtu.be/zDfy67my2So

No doubt Garcia fell off a cliff in 91. Pretty much right when Hornsby left the band. Well documented that Welinick got him back into heroin and he was a shadow of his former greatness until he died.

But his body of work from 65-91 is still the most awe inspiring music of anyone I've ever heard til this day. From the diversity and evolution of the Grateful Dead career to Old and in the Way, Legion of Mary, Reconstruction and later R&B Motown perfection with JGB, I still turn to his tunes all these years later after he died.

Neil is a great choice too. Definitely top 5 for me.

Modern times it might be Brad Barr. His catalog from the Slip to Surprise Me Mr Davis to the Barr Brothers covers unbelievable ground.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by SkiingInABlueDream View Post
    Joe Satriani. Without a doubt. Satch's music has been the soundtrack of my life, more than any other artist or band, for >25 years. (I'm 45 now.)
    My screen name borrows from the title of one of his signature songs.
    (Song starts around 2:00):
    https://youtu.be/zDfy67my2So
    Wow ! Smooth . I'm not a big music guy but I'm embarrassed that I've never heard of him .
    Thanks
    "Make Greenland Green again"

I'd have to say Clapton. Not a very original choice, but the guy's been very good and very popular for a very long time. If Hendrix had lived and had more output he might be at the top for me. He was a paradigm shifter. I also love SRV.
    I'll have to give Satriani more listens. I know of him, but never got into his music a lot, which is weird because I love all good guitar players. I'm biased towards blues-rockers. Neil Young is a tremendous talent too in a different way. Classic Neil Young performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1_Do_fc

If I had to pick just one favorite song it might be La Grange by ZZ Top. I like boogie music

Joe Jackson, I've followed him from his Look Sharp album and he is still putting out new music. Harry Chapin was also an extremely underrated songwriter, and died way too young. If you are looking for passion in a performance, check this out.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT1cxP3JT0c
    Lots of his stuff is very different from Taxi and Cats in the Cradle.

I had a Joe Jackson record, saw him live back in early 80s when he was big. One of my favorite songs by him is Everything Gives You Cancer.

I'm a big Ryan Adams fan.

Thread Information