• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

damage report from yesterday's rain?

gladerider

anyone know how bad the damages were in the mountains?
was pouring down here in the flat lands. was hoping to head up for the coming weekend but looks like there is a warm spell in the forecast.

drjeff

From the looks of the radar shield last night, the vast majority of the sustained heavy rain didn't appear to make it much further North than roughly the Mass/NH/VT border.

The snowpack up in the Southern Greens now from what I can personally attest to is solid (both in depth and surface consistency), and it's also an elevation thing for sure! There's little to no snowpack down along the I-91 corridor in MA/Souhtern VT along the CT River Valley, but then as soon as you start climbing up into the Greens, the snowpack builds quickly.

My neighbor in VT sent me a message this morning that overnight they picked up about an inch of dense sleet/snow mixture and that it never appeared to have gone over to plain rain. On my ride home to CT last night, I hit some heavy downpours for sure once I got South of the MA border and into CT.

Later this week is probably going to get a bit wet and warm for a short spell. Most resorts have a sizeable base on snowmaking terrain to work with already. and many places even have enough natural base that will allow some natural terrain to likely re-open once it sets up and dries out a bit on the backside of whatever happens later this week. Given how quickly many places can recover these days, this will likely just be a but of a speed bump later this week as opposed to a horrendous event leading into Christmas Week

machski

Yup, this week should not kill the skiing for Christmas. No rain really this weekend (maybe a light mixed shower went through Friday night) and a bit of light snow today (adding up to 2-6 inches in the greens/whites/Maine). Rain and warmer Friday/Saturday but also a slight chance for the models to change, Low forecast track could energy shift to a new low off coast if things trend correctly. If not, enough time and cold after to recover.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Newpylong

In Central NH it sprinkled for 5 minutes, so no damage.

I see quite a bit of the natural snow returning to the ponds on Friday but snowmaking terrain should endure.

chuckstah

I skied Crotched today. They came out if this with a net gain in base, but the surface was much more variable than it was. Acceptable day but nothing special. Friday will hurt if the forecast doesn't change.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

skimagic

My neighbor in VT sent me a message this morning that overnight they picked up about an inch of dense sleet/snow mixture and that it never appeared to have gone over to plain rain. On my ride home to CT last night, I hit some heavy downpours for sure once I got South of the MA border and into CT.

I was at Mt Snow today, enjoying the one inch of fresh "stuff", the groomed trails were surprisingly fun and soft considering the drop in temps from Saturday. The natural trails are rock hard , plenty of base to weather the upcoming potential warm up/rain. A strong snow squall rolled in late afternoon that probably had the legs to drop an inch of snow.

The trails crew were busy shaping the berms on roller coaster, not a spec of dirt was churned up. Snow-making was going on along Upper Exhibition, with the snow having a nice holiday orange tint to it- is this from mud or rust in the pipe?

drjeff

I was at Mt Snow today, enjoying the one inch of fresh "stuff", the groomed trails were surprisingly fun and soft considering the drop in temps from Saturday. The natural trails are rock hard , plenty of base to weather the upcoming potential warm up/rain. A strong snow squall rolled in late afternoon that probably had the legs to drop an inch of snow.

The trails crew were busy shaping the berms on roller coaster, not a spec of dirt was churned up. Snow-making was going on along Upper Exhibition, with the snow having a nice holiday orange tint to it- is this from mud or rust in the pipe?
Probably from the pipe on Rollercoaster, as the main feeder pipe from West Lake has had over 200 million gallons pumped through it this far this season!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

SnowRock

Of course there is a wet and warm event on the horizon for this coming Friday.... seems like an annual pre-Christmas occurrence.

JimG.

Staff member

I was at Snow yesterday too your description of the conditions is spot on. The sleet actually accumulated enough later in the afternoon to make some of the natural trails ski pretty well.

bigbog

This morning(Tue) was nice..colder temps with the backdoor of the last system produced ~5" of dry goodness over yesterday's mankier ~6"...got out/up to a smaller mountain much closer than the Loaf. Knew the wind would pick up as the day goes on so the shorter drive the better. Weekend looks dismal but not hopeless so got some nights booked in Kingfield/Loaf over Xmas to just continue the trek to regain some semblance of ski legs:lol:

Last edited:

tumbler

Yep. Right on schedule unfortunately.

At least it is just before the holiday and not in the middle of it. Hoping for some back side and terrain induced snow and then fingers crossed on clipper for Monday.

Glenn

At least it is just before the holiday and not in the middle of it. Hoping for some back side and terrain induced snow and then fingers crossed on clipper for Monday.

Should give time for things to drain out a bit. And hopefully cold enough for some resurfacing early next week.

mfi

This weekend looks..somewhat sad. Rain friday into saturday but warm..so ski saturday, then it drops and turns to glass. Awesome.

Jully

This weekend looks..somewhat sad. Rain friday into saturday but warm..so ski saturday, then it drops and turns to glass. Awesome.

Assuming mountains keep the natural open during the rain (which might be very unlikely), the ungroomed might be in some of the best condition it has been in since the rain on December 2.

tumbler

Can't do anything about the weather so just gonna make the best of it whether sitting on a chairlift or bar stool.

drjeff

Can't do anything about the weather so just gonna make the best of it whether sitting on a chairlift or bar stool.

I agree 100% with this remark!

Even if the conditions are less than optimal on the hill, it's still better in my book than not being on the hill! And the friends at the bar always make for a good time after some turns