• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

damage report from yesterday's rain?

I was at Snow yesterday too your description of the conditions is spot on. The sleet actually accumulated enough later in the afternoon to make some of the natural trails ski pretty well.

i was there too...nice to have the bubble during those squalls...wish i'd known you were there! we'll be heading back up in early feb for another mon-tues visit.

Glenn

That graph is something else. I just checked the yearly precip total on my SoVT weather station.... 54.76".

JimG.

Staff member
i was there too...nice to have the bubble during those squalls...wish i'd known you were there! we'll be heading back up in early feb for another mon-tues visit.

Give me a heads up next time.

Went only because a buddy wanted to ski and he has a Peaks pass; I was up at K anyway so easy to get there.

eatskisleep

Wildcat went from 42 trails to 23 trails today. Black Mountain went from open to closed.

tnt1234

Jay ... 80 to 70

They are claiming it's snow there now and they will get a foot by tomorrow. Wondering if that is true - we're in stowe and thinking about making the drive. Stowe was rough today. Conditions were awful of course, and all the lifts but that meadows quad were closed by 1-2.

Jully

They are claiming it's snow there now and they will get a foot by tomorrow. Wondering if that is true - we're in stowe and thinking about making the drive. Stowe was rough today. Conditions were awful of course, and all the lifts but that meadows quad were closed by 1-2.

Just saw this... very confused. Anyone there/have better info? I'm in Bethel right now which is only 2:40 from Jay. I'd 100% go tomorrow rather than deal with the icy trash that will be weekend crowds + icy mess groomers that will be everywhere in ME and NH tomorrow.

slatham

Just saw this... very confused. Anyone there/have better info? I'm in Bethel right now which is only 2:40 from Jay. I'd 100% go tomorrow rather than deal with the icy trash that will be weekend crowds + icy mess groomers that will be everywhere in ME and NH tomorrow.

I just checked some stuff, including BTV discussion, and while they could get get several incushes I think 12” is being very optimistic. Time will tell. Also BTV mentioned Mansfield getting some too.....

Smellytele

Snowed all day at Smuggs today but it was dust on crust. only Sterling was open and the trails were treacherous. Driving back home on rt15 and surprised it was open as traffic had to drive through a river a foot and a half deep that was flowing quickly over the road.

SkiingInABlueDream

Lol that's classic Jay. I'm not saying it couldn't happen it's just every time a weather event rolls around you hear Jay Peak saying they could get up to x amount of snow and it's always speculated in feet.

Jully

I just checked some stuff, including BTV discussion, and while they could get get several incushes I think 12” is being very optimistic. Time will tell. Also BTV mentioned Mansfield getting some too.....

Helpful! Sounds not super worth it, but I'll check back in the morning and pull the final trigger then. Guessing it will be a no though. Even up to 4" of dust on crust probably isn't great after 1 run given the rain the mega freeze.

machski

Helpful! Sounds not super worth it, but I'll check back in the morning and pull the final trigger then. Guessing it will be a no though. Even up to 4" of dust on crust probably isn't great after 1 run given the rain the mega freeze.
Also keep in mind with the cold coming back in, the winds will be whipping. I have gone to Jay when they claimed a foot or so after a big thaw like this. Let's just say a powder day it was not. Some glades held it but many were blown out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

Also keep in mind with the cold coming back in, the winds will be whipping. I have gone to Jay when they claimed a foot or so after a big thaw like this. Let's just say a powder day it was not. Some glades held it but many were blown out.

I've experienced that before too, so definitely wary. Thinking it's not worth it, though the potential is always tempting.

slatham

Ah maybe that’s how they get to “up to a foot”. It includes drifts! Technically not false advertising, but to us skiers it’s bogus. Well, unless it actually snows 12” which for all we know it might....