• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mtn loyalist/passholder vs independent/chase the snow week to week.. debate on!!!!

ERJ-145CA

I have a season pass at Mountain Creek in Jersey and Mt. Peter in NY. I ski MC the most since it is 10 minutes from my house but usually on weekdays since it's very crowded on the weekends. I do sometimes ski MC for a couple of hours early weekday mornings since the lifts open for pass holders an hour early and leave when it starts getting crowded. Mt. Peter is usually on the weekends with my family. It's a lot smaller than MC but also much less crowded. I'll also make a couple of day trips to the Catskills or Poconos most seasons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I have a season pass at Mountain Creek in Jersey and Mt. Peter in NY. I ski MC the most since it is 10 minutes from my house but usually on weekdays since it's very crowded on the weekends. I do sometimes ski MC for a couple of hours early weekday mornings since the lifts open for pass holders an hour early and leave when it starts getting crowded. Mt. Peter is usually on the weekends with my family. It's a lot smaller than MC but also much less crowded. I'll also make a couple of day trips to the Catskills or Poconos most seasons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AlpineZone mobile app

Unrelated but how is Mountain Creek and more curiously...Mt. Peter doing for snowmaking this year? Here in CT it's been a struggle to lay snow down. I went to Mohawk last week and it looked like late March. Thunder Ridge has struggled to remain open. It's just been so rainy up until now...maybe this question is a moot point as the forecast for the foreseeable future looks great!

ERJ-145CA

Since Mountain Creek opened it's been the same couple trails from the top on Vernon and South Peaks. I skied there Monday morning and this morning and they were blowing snow all morning and presumably all day since the temps have been good. Really good snowmaking temps today. They got Garden State open sometime in the last few days and are making snow on many of the closed trails. Sadly the snow this weekend looks like it's going to stay south of here. But the temps should be good for sustained snowmaking for the forseeable future.

Mt. Peter has a powerful snow making system for such a small mountain so they got over half the trails open before all the rain and warmth with enough base to survive the rain over the past few weekends. I've seen them get almost all their trails open with 3 days of good snowmaking temps. I'm going there tomorrow or Sunday and I expect to see them almost 100% open.

medfordmike

I consider myself a Pico loyalist for the past five seasons (my Pico passholder). i do have Epic Local though since I live in Boston and have a weekend place in Grantham NH. Sunapee is not my first choice but they make a lot of snow and while the terrain is mellow it is entertaining for a few hours especially during the week or early weekend. It is 1.5 hours from my primary residence and under 30 minutes to Sunapee from my weekend place. I have been driving up on Friday mornings, skiing the morning at Sunapee, then logging in and working half day at my place in NH in the afternoon. I may get more Sunapee days but Pico fits me really well and I consider it my home mountain. Prior to Epic Local I had the Max add on with Pico. I get bored at one mountain but I like having places locked in so having a multi mountain pass is nice.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Coincidentally, I was just targeted with an IKON pass survey online, the gist of which was, would it make me more or less likely to buy it with the inclusion of XYZ NY, PA, or VT mountain, so clearly they're looking to do that. Secondary topics included pricing, days, et....

mikes

As a NJ resident the lack of PA resorts is what keeps me from getting an Ikon or Epic pass. I’d jump right in if they added a Pocono resort.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Coincidentally, I was just targeted with an IKON pass survey online, the gist of which was, would it make me more or less likely to buy it with the inclusion of XYZ NY, PA, or VT mountain, so clearly they're looking to do that. Secondary topics included pricing, days, et....

So is this a prelude to Peaks Resorts joining IKON?

Zand

Did the VT one happen to rhyme with "May Seek Support"?