• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekend - 12/22-23

Zermatt

Was hoping to use some Ikon days this weekend. Sugarbush Saturday and Killington Sunday.

Rain totals for Friday keep going up and starting to think about bagging it. I assume Saturday will still be wet but skiing okay...but down to just the snowmaking trails.

I assume Sunday will be major ice fest after the cool down and only some snowmaking trails will be open.

Should we just cancel? Or accommodation is free, so no loss.

Looking forward to Christmas week we were going to buy some Pico 3-packs on/before the 20th to use when we are blacked out for the holidays. I'm debating not even doing that now. Pico will be back to the few trails they blew snow on. Maybe 2-3 total runs.

slatham

Was hoping to use some Ikon days this weekend. Sugarbush Saturday and Killington Sunday.

Rain totals for Friday keep going up and starting to think about bagging it. I assume Saturday will still be wet but skiing okay...but down to just the snowmaking trails.

I assume Sunday will be major ice fest after the cool down and only some snowmaking trails will be open.

Should we just cancel? Or accommodation is free, so no loss.

Looking forward to Christmas week we were going to buy some Pico 3-packs on/before the 20th to use when we are blacked out for the holidays. I'm debating not even doing that now. Pico will be back to the few trails they blew snow on. Maybe 2-3 total runs.

I think your analysis of the skiing conditions is pretty accurate. I will be up in VT and my worry for Saturday is the rain doesn't clear out, and/or the cold comes in quickly so it hardens up quickly.

Sunday is "firm and fast" and only an unexpected accumulation of snow might help that and I don't see it.

I am hoping by Monday that 36 hours of snowmaking and another groom helps.

There are a couple of chances for light snow next week but I doubt enough to help natural terrain. Late next week there is another storm but it currently threatens to be at least partially wet.....

Jully

I think your analysis of the skiing conditions is pretty accurate. I will be up in VT and my worry for Saturday is the rain doesn't clear out, and/or the cold comes in quickly so it hardens up quickly.

Sunday is "firm and fast" and only an unexpected accumulation of snow might help that and I don't see it.

I am hoping by Monday that 36 hours of snowmaking and another groom helps.

There are a couple of chances for light snow next week but I doubt enough to help natural terrain. Late next week there is another storm but it currently threatens to be at least partially wet.....

The right mountain, coupled with reduced crowds due to xmas eve and cold weather after a big rainstorm, should hopefully be able to make groomers ski fine by Monday. The bigger problem is anything ungroomed.

I've never really watched this super closely before, but will mountains at this time of year close the ungroomed/natural preemptively or will we get the opportunity to ski some springlike slush Saturday? Obviously ever place is different too.

Smellytele

still not sure what to do. Thinking of getting out on Saturday and Monday but nothing set at this time. Gonna wait to make up my mind. I am keeping an eye on the forecast models and will make a last minute decision. Have some Smuggs tickets to use by 12/25.

Zermatt

I'll keep watching the models but seems like a no go for me. Saturday could be fine, Sunday bad, Monday somewhat recovered (but I can't ski Monday).

abc

You said lodging is free? Then ski Saturday.

Christmas day might be good (and few crowd) if you can make it.

shwilly

Sad to say, we're leaning toward bagging this weekend and coming up the night of the 25th.

At this point, the payoff for putting the kids in the car and driving through rain and fog Friday night to get...hopefully a semi-decent slush day? then a hard freeze, seems iffy. Maybe we'll have a low key weekend at home, have Christmas with family, then get back on the snow after they've had a few days to recover and resurface.

It's too bad, but what can you do? Particularly with Christmas almost upon us, staying home for a few more days may be the lower stress option.

mister moose

Sad to say, we're leaning toward bagging this weekend and coming up the night of the 25th.

At this point, the payoff for putting the kids in the car and driving through rain and fog Friday night to get...hopefully a semi-decent slush day? then a hard freeze, seems iffy. Maybe we'll have a low key weekend at home, have Christmas with family, then get back on the snow after they've had a few days to recover and resurface.

It's too bad, but what can you do? Particularly with Christmas almost upon us, staying home for a few more days may be the lower stress option.
This is what I expect many families to decide. This weekend's bright spot won't be conditions, it will be the lack of crowds. Unfortunately it's bad news for the ski areas.

If the rainfall is as heavy as forecast, especially Friday late afternoon/evening, Saturday will suffer from some scouring.

Hawk

It's Christmas in New England. Of course it's going to rain. LOL What are you gonna do. I am personally going to go out every day no matter the conditions and enjoy my time off from work.

jaytrem

I’ll be at Snow Sunday either way, I’ll be sure to report back

Me too. If conditions are lousy we'll head over to Brattleboro for some ice skating. Saturdays 1:30 to 4 is dollar day, can't go wrong.

tumbler

It's Christmas in New England. Of course it's going to rain. LOL What are you gonna do. I am personally going to go out every day no matter the conditions and enjoy my time off from work.

Ay-Yup

mfi

Was going to Stowe but the only day that might be a little good is saturday..then a hard freeze. This...sux.

RISkier

I sure wouldn't invest much time or money into trying to ski this weekend. Saturday could be fun and if I lived close to a ski area I might consider it.

Zermatt

I sure wouldn't invest much time or money into trying to ski this weekend. Saturday could be fun and if I lived close to a ski area I might consider it.

That's pretty much it. If I lived closer I'd ski Saturday, even in the rain. 4.5 hours up Friday night and 4.5 hours back on Sunday says its not happening this weekend.

Now on to a speedy recovery for X-Mas week. 6 hours to buy a Pico 3-pack or skip it........