• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ikon Works At Pico!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Correct. I don't remember the exact timeframe, but initially IKON was only valid at Killington and not Pico. That has since changed.

I would have expected that it would have been the other way around because they need to drive traffic to Pico.

And FWIW Pico is a legit mountain IMHO.

KustyTheKlown

Pico is awesome. 2000 vertical with minimal runout is a better t2b than anything at k. some fun woods. some legit steps on giant killer and poma line. fun untracked runs accessible by simple 3 min hike when they (often) don’t run the double. no crowds. chill lodge. love

boston_e

I would have expected that it would have been the other way around because they need to drive traffic to Pico.

And FWIW Pico is a legit mountain IMHO.

The initial decision was Alterra’s not Killington/Pico’s.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Pico and Mt. Ellen are similar in my book...overhyped but still very very good places to ski. I try to hit both of them 2-4 times a year each. But that said they aren't as good as their respective "motherships" as some people make them out to be. JMO...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Pico and Mt. Ellen are similar in my book...overhyped but still very very good places to ski. I try to hit both of them 2-4 times a year each. But that said they aren't as good as their respective "motherships" as some people make them out to be. JMO...

Overhyped? Huh?

KustyTheKlown

i wouldnt call either of them overhyped, but i definitely have a strong preference for mount ellen over lincoln peak, and i think some others here have said the same, so that may be the "overhype". lincoln peak is a shitshow on the weekends and i tend to avoid it.

JimG.

Staff member
I've never heard anyone say Pico is overhyped.

I prefer Mt Ellen as well I would say the same.

thetrailboss

Staff member
i wouldnt call either of them overhyped, but i definitely have a strong preference for mount ellen over lincoln peak, and i think some others here have said the same, so that may be the "overhype". lincoln peak is a shitshow on the weekends and i tend to avoid it.

There certainly are fans in here of Mount Ellen and Pico. Perhaps that was what he was saying? If anything is overhyped, it is Lincoln Peak and Killington IMHO.

abc

Pico and Mt. Ellen are similar in my book...overhyped
Poor choice of words.

Neither had been "hyped" by anyone. Both are refuge from weekend crowds on their "respected mothership".

Like indy mountains, they have their own merit. Many prefer the individual character of such mountains. But if you think anyone who prefers non-mega resorts are "hyping" ANY smaller places, it's your own mindset that you read things that were not said.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I don't ski weekends (til late season) so the crowd escape was never a factor for me. Like I said, both are great mountains, but on a midweek powder day with 100% open I'd rather be at Killington over Pico and Lincoln Peak over Mt. Ellen.