• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Take your kids out of school for a powder day?

nhskier1969

While we all wait for the mtns to recover from this last event, I thought I would throw this out. For the Moms and Dads out there, Would you take your kids out of school for a powder day? My feeling is its ok as long as they haven't missed much school and the grades are good. Spending a midweek powder day with your child is something special. Anyway your thoughts...

Ol Dirty Noodle

Pull em out, life’s too short make some memories, mid week is the best to because of minimal crowds

raisingarizona

Heck yes!

My kids main teacher is a skier and totally gets it. I’m taking her out next month for probably 3 days in a row. I got a buddy who took his kids out for 5 weeks last season to ski in BC.

John9

Yes, midweek on a perfect blue bird day is the best ever! Missing a few days of school means nothing over a lifetime, same for work!

jaytrem

This might not be the best site to get an unbiased opinion. Pretty sure most of us here think that's a silly question. Best to take off the day ahead of storm, so there is no traveling issues, and the day after in case there are wind issues on the first power day.

BenedictGomez

My wife is a 2nd grade teacher, and would definitely have a contrary opinion on this. One day probably isnt horrific, but I do know it annoys her when parents take a kid out of school for an entire week to go to Disney or something. Rarely, though it has happened a few times, she's had parents keep a kid out for a 2 week vacation. That clearly sends an improper message, not to mention sets them behind the rest of the class.

deadheadskier

Staff member
^
Depends on the parents and how much time they invest in their children's learning outside of school . There are probably kids from families that take considerable time away from school that advance just as well as other kids with 180 day attendance.

There are over a million kids in this country that are home schooled. Plenty of them go on to having a successful adulthood. The standard primary school, regimented program isn't the only way to raise a child.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

podunk77

In 5th grade a good friend of mine's father took him and his sister out of school for a week to go skiing. I was stunned because his parents were always sticklers for school attendance. Long story short, a year later the father was dead from a previously undiagnosed cancer. To this day my buddy swears his dad had a "sixth sense" about his own impending demise, and was trying to give his kids a final, lasting ski memory. He says he and his sister remember that ski week a lot more than whatever they would've learned in school that week.

ERJ-145CA

I've taken my daughter out of school once or twice each of the last 2 years to go skiing with me and plan to this year too. She's in 4th grade and gets good grades so I have no problem with her missing a day or 2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

Forget powder days, parents taking their kids out of school for ski days seems to be very common from my observations as a weekday skier. School programs aside, there’s virtually not a single day I ski where I don’t see kids with parents on the slopes on a school day.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

MommaBear

My wife is a 2nd grade teacher, and would definitely have a contrary opinion on this. One day probably isnt horrific, but I do know it annoys her when parents take a kid out of school for an entire week to go to Disney or something.

I always respected the school attendance policy. But when the schools started assigning homework and special projects to be done over the school vacations, they were now infringing on my family time. And that to me was sending the improper message. Life is all about balance. And boundaries.

drjeff

Have my wife and I done it? Yup! Do we go out of the way to make it happen? Not necessarily. Then again my kids are usually on the hill 4 to 5 days a week most weeks of the ski season, so we don't go grab another day here or there

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

I always respected the school attendance policy. But when the schools started assigning homework and special projects to be done over the school vacations, they were now infringing on my family time. And that to me was sending the improper message. Life is all about balance. And boundaries.

I agree with that.

We dont have that problem in Jersey, but I've heard about that happening in other places. It seems very Grinch-like to me. Granted, I grew up with "Summer book reading lists", but it was always voluntary and age-appropriate reading "suggestions", but that's very different from making it mandatory, which I agree seems intrusive.

benski

I agree with that.

We dont have that problem in Jersey, but I've heard about that happening in other places. It seems very Grinch-like to me. Granted, I grew up with "Summer book reading lists", but it was always voluntary and age-appropriate reading "suggestions", but that's very different from making it mandatory, which I agree seems intrusive.

I always had 2 books to read each summer and i had a few assignments over school breaks. Often they were practice state test which were shortly after presidents week. It might have changed, since I have not taken a state in almost 8 years. BTW, not a bad idea to take your kid out of school for those tests anyway.

ERJ-145CA

I agree with that.

We do have that problem in my part of Jersey. It angers my wife and I.