• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Year’s Day

cdskier

A word of warning...that site is overly "optimistic" much of the time with snowfall forecasts and from what I remember tends to always assume precip at below freezing temps will be pretty fluffy snow when in reality it could be much denser snow or even other types of precip that significantly impact the actual accumulations.

So just take that site with a big grain of salt.

urungus

One other point is that the site has 3 different forecasts, for base, mid-mountain, and peak. Which is great, as long as you are aware of which forecast you are looking at, especially when temperatures are hovering around the freezing point.

Glenn

Looks like SoVT may pick up a few inches of snow/sleet before it changes over. Then there's that entire wind issue for tomorrow...

MommaBear

Looks like SoVT may pick up a few inches of snow/sleet before it changes over. Then there's that entire wind issue for tomorrow...

Was just looking at that....and thinking I should have skied today and worked tomorrow. Just can't seem to hit it right this season! :dontknow:

mister moose

So did anyone ski on the 1st?

With an inch of slush on the deck, light rain in the am and a freezing forecast, I wasn't motivated.

chuckstah

I skied Crotched today. Nice spring conditions, only problem is that it's January. And the natural areas are completely toasted. Screenshot_20190101-164149.jpgIMG_20190101_130123976.jpgIMG_20190101_120524361.jpg

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Terry

Skied Shawnee Peak from first chair till about 2 o'clock. Excellent skiing good coverage. Got 5 inches of new snow with a slight crust on top. Started to firm up so we called it a day. Should make a good base everywhere.

Glenn

My wife and I went for a walk in the flatlands. It was in the 50s and windy.

JimG.

Staff member
Went to Belle mostly to ski with Scotty yesterday. Skiing was surprisingly good until 2:30 or so when everything started to freeze up.
First time this season that lift 7 and Tomahawk were both open at the same time. That's because all high speed lifts were closed due to wind.

Good to keep some fixed grip stuff around for windy days.