• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Blue Mountain Death

asnowmobiler

I was there Saturday, the conditions were awesome, almost no ice to speak of, just hard pack with a nice dry inch or two of dry snow on top. Hero snow everywhere ��
Unlike like Camelback today, it sucked.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
A "ski jump on a beginner trail"?

Sure thing. Never been to Blue and don't know the setup....I can only speak in general terms and hypotheticals. Could be either a small terrain park or a section of Terrain Based Learning where groomers sculpt the snow designed for people going slow on their first day. Hit it with any type of excessive speed and you could very easily wipe out.

Maybe 5 years ago Mount Snow had some rollers on the bottom of their Sundance beginner hill as you approached the lodge. I went in with too much speed and nearly took myself out in what have been a really bad crash. I would have fallen "into" the next small jump...imagine falling on a flat but 10x worse. These were 2-3ft rollers designed for beginners and little kids, not arrogant skiers too lazy to scrub off speed at 3pm like myself...learned my lesson...

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Sure thing. Never been to Blue and don't know the setup....I can only speak in general terms and hypotheticals. Could be either a small terrain park or a section of Terrain Based Learning where groomers sculpt the snow designed for people going slow on their first day. Hit it with any type of excessive speed and you could very easily wipe out.

Maybe 5 years ago Mount Snow had some rollers on the bottom of their Sundance beginner hill as you approached the lodge. I went in with too much speed and nearly took myself out in what have been a really bad crash. I would have fallen "into" the next small jump...imagine falling on a flat but 10x worse. These were 2-3ft rollers designed for beginners and little kids, not arrogant skiers too lazy to scrub off speed at 3pm like myself...learned my lesson...

Lots of places to be made into jumps even on greens . There are quite a few switchbacks and sharp turns that if you check speed can get air . If you don't land on a down slope or land flat can be pretty rough. I can see if he cut a turn too tight and landed flat before being able to recover could end up in the woods .

mikes

I ski there. They have a small terrain park with some small jumps that serves as a learning area. Sounds like that’s where it occurred from an article I read. Condolences to the family.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Lots of places to be made into jumps even on greens . There are quite a few switchbacks and sharp turns that if you check speed can get air . If you don't land on a down slope or land flat can be pretty rough. I can see if he cut a turn too tight and landed flat before being able to recover could end up in the woods .

Falling on flats is brutal. I took a tumble on lower Wildfire at Killington a couple weeks ago, the part where it's essentially a blue pitch. Ground sneaks up on you real fast :-D