• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lonesome Pine Trails 1-2-2019

deadheadskier

Staff member
So, my work often has me traveling to some far off corners in New England. Today, that would be perhaps the farthest corner in FT Kent, Maine. I decided to bag off work early and grab a couple of hours of skiing at their local hill.

I think I can say with great confidence that Lonesome Pine probably had the best conditions of any ski area in New England today. They received zero rain from the New Year's Eve event. All perfect powder snow. Not a scratchy spot to be found on the groomers. Hero cord. Ungroomed had a solid 5" of blower.

Pretty cool place. One T Bar. One handle tow. Skis much bigger than their 430' vertical suggests. Trail lengths seemed similar to Tiger pod at Gunstock. They have a couple of wide trails lit for night skiing and a narrower, winding trail lit (barely) for a park. Beyond that they had 4-5 old school classic New England runs without lights and to my surprise, a few glades. Nothing all that steep, but a fun pitch with zero run out.

Wednesdays they operate from 3-9PM for $25. I managed to sample a glade and a couple of the old school trails before patrol roped them for the night. Perfect snow everywhere, just cold. As soon as the sun went down it dropped to -5

Pics to follow.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

The Sneak

Most interesting TR posted here in a long time. Nicely done and thx for so many pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuckstah

Thanks. Love the reports from the obscure areas that I haven't made it to yet, and in this case may never go.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

speden

I like how the lodge says "Bienvenue". They must get some Canadian customers being that far north.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I like how the lodge says "Bienvenue". They must get some Canadian customers being that far north.
French is the first language for the majority of people living along the St John River in this part of Maine. Totally different culture once you get beyond Caribou.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Thanks. Love the reports from the obscure areas that I haven't made it to yet, and in this case may never go.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
If not for work, I'd like never have made it to Lonesome Pine today or Big Rock a couple of years ago. I'm actually staying in Edmundston, NB tonight as it's the closest place to Ft Kent with decent hotels. I had never been, but it's quite the little metro area between here and Madawaska. About 20k people.

Hopefully I find reason for work to make it back up here again as I'd like to check out Mont Farlagne at some point as well.

http://www.montfarlagne.com/?lang=en

What's cool about going to these places is to momentarily immerse yourself in the local ski culture. You talk to some people and these are the only places they have ever skied and they absolutely love the sport just the same.

Can't say if I'd ever come back here again if not for work. It's a long ass drive, but I've grown a bit fond of the area and Acadian culture. Friendliest people in New England for sure.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Oh and one other interesting thing. New Brunswick is a different time zone than Maine. It's an hour ahead. I imagine some of the locals cross the river and celebrate NYE twice in two different countries!

Edd

Very cool. I’d love to spend some time up there.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

JDMRoma

So, my work often has me traveling to some far off corners in New England. Today, that would be perhaps the farthest corner in FT Kent, Maine. I decided to bag off work early and grab a couple of hours of skiing at their local hill.

I think I can say with great confidence that Lonesome Pine probably had the best conditions of any ski area in New England today. They received zero rain from the New Year's Eve event. All perfect powder snow. Not a scratchy spot to be found on the groomers. Hero cord. Ungroomed had a solid 5" of blower.

Pretty cool place. One T Bar. One handle tow. Skis much bigger than their 430' vertical suggests. Trail lengths seemed similar to Tiger pod at Gunstock. They have a couple of wide trails lit for night skiing and a narrower, winding trail lit (barely) for a park. Beyond that they had 4-5 old school classic New England runs without lights and to my surprise, a few glades. Nothing all that steep, but a fun pitch with zero run out.

Wednesdays they operate from 3-9PM for $25. I managed to sample a glade and a couple of the old school trails before patrol roped them for the night. Perfect snow everywhere, just cold. As soon as the sun went down it dropped to -5

Pics to follow.

Nice report !! Too bad its not day trippable !!

granite

Great trip, I've always wanted to go there too. Have you ever been by the Biathlon Ski Center in Presque Isle, about 50 miles away? I want to check that place out too? Would be a fun trip?