• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/3/19 Cranmore

medfordmike

When I moved to New England about 15 years ago I had a long list of places I wanted to ski. Over the years I have crossed off a lot of places. Prior to today I was left with two NH mountains, Cranmore and Black. My spouse knowing that got me a Cranmore gift card. So I headed up today from my NH place.

When I left this morning I had a little over 2 inches of light fluffy snow on my truck. When I got to Cranmore they had received about 2-3 inches on top of the their groomed base. They did get about 5 inches earlier in the week. I love fresh light snow on a heavier base. Weather was bluebird skies, no wind at all, and in the 20s. Really a comfortable day to ski with no lines and most of the non gladed trails open. Surface conditions were great unless you wanted everything groomed flat (those people are out there) because the light snow was mounded up all over but you could so easily cut right through it. I laughed out loud more than once on my first few runs.

I know Cranmore by today's standards is not a resort and is somewhat in the same orbit as Gunstock, Sunapee, Pico, etc. Day trippers some vacationers, and a lot of second home owners. Like those other places I was impressed how they have maximized every bit of the mountain terrain. They seem to know their market and are not trying to be something they are not.

While not the most challenging terrain I found it a playful kind of place. Great views today too which never hurts. I had a great day and got a lot of skiing so I left around 2. Glad I finally made it up there. I love old school mountains and Cranmore definitely fit the bill. If North Conway was not such a pain in the ass to get to I could see doing family ski days up there with my nieces.

Cranmore summit view.jpg
Cranmore Front Trails.jpg
Skimeister trail.jpg
CranmoreSummit.jpg
IMG_1703.jpg

Last edited:

Edd

Cranmore is a delight. Glad you enjoyed it!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Glenn

Great pics! Looks like a good day to be out on the hill.

gnardawg

Curious why you lump Pico in with Gunstock, Sunapee and Cranmore? Pico is pretty big in comparison and has much much more challenging terrain.

Below is the Vertical, Acres & Trail counts.

Pico 1967-468-57
Sunapee 1510-233-65
Cranmore 1200-200-54
Gunstock 1400-227-50

I know Cranmore by today's standards is not a resort and is somewhat in the same orbit as Gunstock, Sunapee, Pico, etc. Day trippers some vacationers, and a lot of second home owners.

gnardawg

Maybe you meant that those places weren't developed with a lot of hotels/shopping/village right at the base. If so I agree.

medfordmike

Maybe you meant that those places weren't developed with a lot of hotels/shopping/village right at the base. If so I agree.

The resort development aspect is a big one, also the core demographics the mountains center on feels similar to me. They are older mountains too Pico, Gunstock, and Cranmore from the late 1930s and Sunapee 1940s (although hard to tell it has been redeveloped so fully). The other three all have an accumulation of buildings, equipment, even the trail layout that tells you they have been around a long time. Also Pico and Cranmore definitely had their time in the sun as the place to be. In some ways I hesitate to included Sunappe not Pico! But the demographics of day trippers, locals and weekend home owners seems pretty strong there and I live close to it.

Pico is indeed big but you are giving max stats. Here is the acreage of three of them I could easily find today that is available:
Pico 85 acres
Sunapee 185 acres
Cranmore 125 acres

Pico is a big place but their snow making is limited by water and I am sure budget is as well. I do feel though that they reflect that in the pass price. I would also add that it has been my home mountain for several years. I can't tell you the number of people who ask me where I am going in VT and when I say Pico they have zero recognition. I skied Pico this morning and will hit Sunapee tomorrow on way back to Boston. Pico has only two runs from the top open, Knomes is not open at all nor Outpost or Upper Pike or anything natural. Not unusual at all for this time of the year. Just the way things roll there.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Pico must use a rather large and special tape measure. Maybe they have that much if they count boundary to boundary. Stowe markets 485. Pico might be half the size

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

benski

Pico must use a rather large and special tape measure. Maybe they have that much if they count boundary to boundary. Stowe markets 485. Pico might be half the size

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

probably boarder to boarder vs all trails+marked glades. Sugarbush claims 4000 acres, which must include Slide Brook.

ciscokid

Nice Mike, remember you from SJournal early days. Was at Cranmore 1/4/19 in morning for $10, busy but skied well. Is that Kandahar in 3rd pic?
Went to Black in pm, what a blast from the past and such contrast!

medfordmike

Nice Mike, remember you from SJournal early days. Was at Cranmore 1/4/19 in morning for $10, busy but skied well. Is that Kandahar in 3rd pic?
Went to Black in pm, what a blast from the past and such contrast!

Hey Ciscokid good to hear from you. I still check out SJ from time to time. It was either Kandahar or Rattlesnake (I think it was the second but trusting my memory for photos is never good). I really want to hit Black this season as a first timer but its a haul for sure.