A Bad Week with Chairlifts and Kids - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36
  1. #11
    In my early teens I was on a rollback ...100' or so . I used the bar all the time except for this time with a friend who protested when I went to lower it (somehow it wasn't macho?) . We were at a really high spot when the lift stopped and rolled back ,It suddenly stopped and the momentum swung the chair back to about an 45 degree angle and forward ..not as much . ...Scared the living shit out of me .

    I had my 4 yr old son with me on maybe his second time out . He decided to throw a fit and I grabbed him by both forearms he squirmed and almost slipped out of his jacket and under the bar . I stopped his momentum with my right leg. That was my last time with him till he was older.

    I was at Blue 2yrs ago and ready to load the six pack when an instructor came up with 10 kids . They were maybe 8yrs old . She said can you take 5?!! . Gulp "I guess?" Kids load fine but I was on pins and needles given my earlier life experiences . Kids were chatting and knew each other pretty well and I couldn't stop watching for any quick movements. They unloaded like pros ,as they skied off they obviously had skills.

    I can see not having bars on double lifts as each person has a vertical post to grab but a six with the bar up is insane!. There's a ton of seat real estate there. Add some fresh snow and a slick set of ski pants .....Your only chance for a grip is to grab for the back of the seat .
    Last edited by Siliconebobsquarepants; Jan 5, 2019 at 7:52 PM.
    "Make Greenland Green again"

  2. #12
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    27,401
    I think all of the new lifts I have seen installed out here have not just safety bars, but with new bars that have "fingers" that stick down to prevent a kid from sliding out. In my 29 years of skiing, there have been many more times that I was glad to have a safety bar as opposed to wishing I did not have one.
    Live, Ski, or Die!


  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    I do find it humorous when some folks argue they leave the bar up so they can jump from a chair that's falling. You know, the one in a million chance a chair unropes in your life time and you miraculously summon your inner James Bond to leap from the chair, dodge bullets and ski to safety.
    I've never heard someone say that, that's pretty funny! I also cant recall hearing a ski chair spontaneously come off the wire with people on it, though I guess it's happened.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  4. #14
    Heard right here in these forums with previous safety bar discussions.

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Though I do find it humorous when some folks argue they leave the bar up so they can jump from a chair that's falling. You know, the one in a million chance a chair unropes in your life time and you miraculously summon your inner James Bond to leap from the chair, dodge bullets and ski to safety. File that one with those who argue they are safer skiing without a helmet.

    /Thread

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
    That argument for leaving the bar up is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard in my life. Wow.

  6. #16
    I was on Spillway longside when it fell... you don't even have time to think about jumping off

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by jmgard View Post
    I was on Spillway longside when it fell... you don't even have time to think about jumping off
    And even if you did "jump off" the chair as it's falling, you are still falling the height of the chair. You might be able to have less injuries because you are away from the chair hardware, but jumping off the chair isn't going to help much if you still have 50 feet down to fall.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Marlborough, Massachusetts
    Posts
    567
    I routinely ski solo and periodically I get asked to help a kid's ski school class onto the lift (i.e., ride up with one to manage the bar, etc.)

    I've never said "no", but sitting beside them as they're perched at the edge of the chair gives me the heebie-jeebies to this day. I keep my eyes on them for any sign of "slippage".



    I've seen lifties at Stowe put the safety bar down for a chair full of kids so they aren't trying to reach for it.
    Arc \'em or park \'em

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhippy View Post
    And even if you did "jump off" the chair as it's falling, you are still falling the height of the chair. You might be able to have less injuries because you are away from the chair hardware, but jumping off the chair isn't going to help much if you still have 50 feet down to fall.
    Reminds me of some guys years ago who said he'd never wear a seat belt in a car because if he gets in a car accident, and the car catches fire, he wants to get out quickly. He never thought he has to survive the accident first.

    Back to safety bars, when the best argument against use is that they provide a false sense of security, or they're not completely effective for small children you've won the argument without saying a word.

    Future Darwin Award Contestants.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinF View Post
    I routinely ski solo and periodically I get asked to help a kid's ski school class onto the lift (i.e., ride up with one to manage the bar, etc.)

    I've never said "no", but sitting beside them as they're perched at the edge of the chair gives me the heebie-jeebies to this day. I keep my eyes on them for any sign of "slippage".
    You know how they used to say every cigarette you smoke takes like, 15 minutes off your life? Pretty much every lift ride I have to take up with 4-6 year old guests nibbles at least 1-5 minutes off mine. Some, a bit more than that.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:55 AM.