• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Recommended NE mountains with decent accomodations for adult non-skiers

Hi,

I'm new to the area, having done most all my snowboarding in Tahoe and Colorado (Telluride).

I just moved to Manchester, NH and I'm planning to do a 10 day road trip end of January.
I was thinking Cannon, Killington, Stowe, Jay, and maybe over into Maine..

I'm hoping to discover the steepest runs (not parks or bumps) but I also need lodging and a place for my wife to hang out as she doesn't ski or snowboard.
She would be happy with WiFi, and maybe window shopping/ spa /massage/hot tub.
No, we're not rich, making it even more difficult.

Can anyone point out the best places - places not to be missed - for snowboarding/freeriding, in the area?
As well as which of these places also have a decent setup for those who aren't skiers?

I suppose AirBnB near any of the best mountains would work, especially if there's a big saving and it's close to the lifts, as well as being able to walk around town.

Thanks for any help you can give!

jmgard

Stowe fits your criteria extremely well. One of the premier ski areas on the East Coast with some serious steeps on the Mansfield side, lots of lodging, nice town with plenty to do. Downside=$$$$$

I would suggest Wildcat and Attitash, as North Conway is a pretty large and developed town with plenty of shopping and other activities. Wildcat and Attitash are just outside of town, and they share a lift ticket so you can ski them both in the same day or over the course of a trip. They complement each other very well: Wildcat has long, winding runs and consistent (but not incredibly steep outside of a few spots) pitch, while Attitash has more steeps (especially steep groomers) but shorter runs; Wildcat is up in Pinkham Notch literally across the street from Mt. Washington, while Attitash is lower down in the valley so it does not get quite as much snow, but is much more enjoyable on super-cold days; Wildcat is functionally a one-lift mountain as the Wildcat Express is unusually fast (I believe they run it at 1100 fpm instead of the normal 1000) and serves the whole ski area, while Attitash is two interconnected areas with a few different pods. Cranmore is also right there in North Conway itself but is rather small and doesn't have much of anything in the way of steeps.

Sunday River is about an hour to an hour and a half away from North Conway, just over the Maine border, and is a large sprawling area with all kinds of terrain. They have some good groomers like White Heat, Obsession, and the blue trails at the Jordan Bowl end.

If you really want steeps I would recommend my personal favorite ski area anywhere, Sugarloaf, however it is very far from "civilization", so you may love it but it might be tough for your wife.

heiusa

Rutland is a good option, you can stay in Rutland for as little as $50 per night, there is a quality inn and a rodeway inn in town for that kind of price, there is plenty on non skiing things to do for the wife in Rutland. You can hit Okemo, Pico, Killington and Sugarbush from Rutland. Rutland has a lot of stores, restaurants, movie theaters to keep the wife happy. Up at Killington there is a very nice day spa called spa in the woods, for $25 you can spend the day using the indoor pool, hot tub, gym, the place is beautiful. At the base of Pico is also an indoor pool that you can use for $15 per day. At the base of Okemo is the town of Ludlow, more shopping and restaurants options.

As far as skiing/boarding my favorite is Killington, there is a lot of terrain and variety, you metioned that you were looking for steeps, the have plenty, outer limits, devils fiddle, superstar, ovation, cascade, Big Dipper, etc, etc. Take a look at the trail map and you will see plenty of blacks, plus plenty of woods if that is your thing. Pico is also fun, if everything is open. I am not a big fan of Okemo, but plenty of people like it. Also Sugarbush has a lot of challenging terrain. You could hit Sugarbush if you drive from Rutland up to Burlington, which is a great city for you wife to visit while you go to Stowe which is not far away. Be sure to hit Church street in Burlington, Jay is 1.5 hours from Burlington, unfortunately Jay is in the middle of no where.

machski

Jay isn't a bad option, they have quite a bit to entertain a non skier, though shopping is lacking. North Conway is a good option as is Sunday River (Bethel is small, but it has an up and coming restaurant scene and some quaint shopping along with mountain's spa). Some decent lodging with spa options in Lincoln now if Cannon is on your list. Stowe as mentioned but pricey, Sugarbush is nice and Burlington is an easy day trip for non-skiers if need be.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

heiusa

Downtown Rutland is home to several unique experiences for all interests, ages and abilities. We are home to the state's largest year-round farmers market, a brilliantly restored 1912 Paramount Theatre, incredible public art installations, an engaging children's museum and more. You may notice that many of our buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places due to the area's designation as the Rutland Downtown Historic District. Downtown Rutland is also close to several indoor and outdoor recreational areas including the Long Trail, Killington and Pico Mountains, Pine Hill Park, and Castleton Arena and Giorgetti Arena.

skiur

Downtown Rutland is home to several unique experiences for all interests, ages and abilities. We are home to the state's largest year-round farmers market, a brilliantly restored 1912 Paramount Theatre, incredible public art installations, an engaging children's museum and more. You may notice that many of our buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places due to the area's designation as the Rutland Downtown Historic District. Downtown Rutland is also close to several indoor and outdoor recreational areas including the Long Trail, Killington and Pico Mountains, Pine Hill Park, and Castleton Arena and Giorgetti Arena.

And don't forget the heroin!

Smellytele

Go to Whiteface for a couple days and stay in Lake Placid. Lots for your wife to do in town. There’s even a free bus system that will take you to the mountain from town that is very convenient.

I agree with Lake Placid.
North Conway works as well.
Stowe could work.
Rutland has no appeal to me at all.

thanks for all the replies.

With the wife, I'm thinking I'll need a place where we can actually stay at a resort that is at the lifts/mountain, maybe limit it to 2 or 3 days, so maybe Stowe.

Because I live only a few hours away, from all these places, I can make other trips alone, how many? is up to me.

My bucket list this winter includes Killington, Jay, Stowe, Cannon, Wildcat, Attitash? Sunday River, Sugarloaf - and I still have research to do.

I want to avoid mountain congestion / lift lines due to major holidays, school holidays, etc.. so that's another important way to spend my time as I make plans. I hope we get more snow soon!

Thanks again..

CChags

Does anyone know if there will be a AlpineZone Summit 10.0 at Sugarloaf this year? Or if any details have been shared about when it'll get announced? Not sure this is the best thread to ask, but thought I'd give it a shot.

BenedictGomez

Best places in the east for non-skiers.

#1 Choice: Whiteface (Lake Placid)
#2 Choice: Stowe

Whatever anyone wants to rank as #3, #4, #5, etc.... is fine, but they're way behind Lake Placid & Stowe for non-skier interest/activity.

deadheadskier

Staff member
As a former Stowe resident and now a frequent North Conway visitor, I would not say North Conway is "way" behind Stowe. Stowe has better dining, but that's about it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

jimk

You might look into the price of slopeside lodging at Bolton Valley if you wanted to go to a smaller place to save money and still be just 25 interstate miles from lively Burlington, VT. Smuggs has a lot of moderately priced slopeside lodging that might also be an option and it is a pretty challenging hill. I would add that many of the suggestions favoring Stowe are based on the idea that your wife would have the interesting town to explore while you are on the hill. The town and ski hill are 7 miles apart. If you stayed slopeside at Stowe (not cheap) your wife would have to drive/bus to see the nice town of Stowe. This would be similar to the locations of Lake Placid/Whiteface and Bethel/Sunday River. FYI, possibly the most diverse slopeside village in eastern North America is Mont Tremblant.

ThinkSnow

FYI, possibly the most diverse slopeside village in eastern North America is Mont Tremblant.
While this is true, Tremblant was built to be a slopeside village (much like Whistler), and lacks the character of the other actual ski towns mentioned above. Plus the terrain at Tremblant is far from challenging.

jimk

While this is true, Tremblant was built to be a slopeside village (much like Whistler), and lacks the character of the other actual ski towns mentioned above. Plus the terrain at Tremblant is far from challenging.

Good points. And it might be too far away for the short trip OP is thinking about.
My recommendation for cheap slopeside near interesting night life would be Bolton Valley/Burlington. Let wife sleep-in, hit the hill from 830am to 330pm and check-out gladed terrain, then take wife to Burlington for wining/dining/shopping. Of course, that will quickly expend any savings on lodging:)