• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Recommended NE mountains with decent accomodations for adult non-skiers

Thanks @deadheadskier,

Looked at North Conway and it's a short drive to Cranmore, less than 30 min to Wildcat and Attatish.
Going to check into it some more.

crank

I would not recommend Jay Peak. They have a water park and an ice skating rink and a lot of trees. Also, groomers are not why anyone goes there.

Lake Placid: Shopping and all the Olympics history, bobsled run, freestyle skiing training facility, Olympic ice rink,nice town mostly walkable. Whiteface is steepish and mostly groomed. Racers love it. Can be true to it's nickname- Iceface.

Stowe: Good shuttle bus system. Lots of intermediate priced hotels and motels on bus route. Really nice multi use trail. Lots of shopping and dining. Take her to Trapp Family Lodge...the hills are alive... Alchemist Brewing if you want to carry out cans hard to get, super hoppy IPA's. Trapp Brew Pub if you like a nice dunkel. Great skiing of all stripes on a big mountain with good grooming and snowmaking.

North Conway: Haven't been is so long I can't really comment other than lots of outlet shopping and good access to some spectacular scenery in the White Mountains. The local ski areas are, I think, smaller than Stowe and Whiteface though Sunday River is not far.

It is a generalization, but often holds true, that Northern VT gets more snow than NH and LP.

skifree

leave her home and enjoy the new furniture when you get back.

puckoach

Thanks @deadheadskier,

Looked at North Conway and it's a short drive to Cranmore, less than 30 min to Wildcat and Attatish.
Going to check into it some more.
Best suggestion in thread imho. Look for lodging with shuttle to some of the mountains. Or stay at the inn downtown.

Also, she could drop off and pick you up at Cranmore, Attitash, or Wildcat. Bretton Woods and Loon a little further.

legalskier

Thanks all for helping me formulate a plan.

I have to agree with Lake Placid/Whiteface and Stowe- your wife could stay in town while you make the short trip to the mountain. Another option would be to stay in Stratton and ski at Magic or even Pico, two underrated mountains with good steeps, though they're south of your target area.