• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Attitash Summit Triple Problems 2018-2019

EPB

Yes It is being seriously looked at. We shall see if they get the money.
It has to be. I've probably said it already in this thread, but I don't know how Vail doesn't look at that lift as a detractor to it's brand if it goes unaddressed.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

xlr8r

Actually thinking about Attitash more after my visit there this week, I have come to the conclusion that Attitash has the most to gain from Vail ownership out of all the mountains Vail has acquired in New England over the last few years.

Stowe - Already viewed as premiere New England destination, infrastructure in top shape, parking lot capacity maxed out
Okemo and Mount Snow - Top southern VT destinations already maxed out on capacity with crowds, some infrastructure improvements will be made to control crowds (i.e. new lifts at Okemo next year)
Sunapee and Crotched - Day trip mountains that both already have good infrastructure, no changes needed really at either, Sunapee west bowl probably never going to happen now.
Wildcat - Old school mountain that customers want to remain unchanged, Vail would be stupid to make changes that piss off loyal Wildcat skiers, isolated location means real estate development will never happen and crowds will never be outrageous.

But if Vail fixes some of the problems at Attitash, they can use Attitash along with Wildcat as a pressure relief valve destination as a lot of people are getting sick and tired of the crowds at their VT resorts (especially after the Mount Snow fiasco this week). So I actually think Vail might not ignore Attitash, and instead make a lot of investments. Besides the Summit lift replacement, the double doubles also desperately need to be replaced with a newer single lift with a loading carpet, and a lot of the lower mountain trails on the Attitash side and the trails connecting Attitash and Bear Peak need some rerouting. Bear Peak really is fine as is, but they could cut an additional trail or two over there (between Wandering Skis and Illusion).

thetrailboss

Staff member
It has to be. I've probably said it already in this thread, but I don't know how Vail doesn't look at that lift as a detractor to it's brand if it goes unaddressed.

Agreed. I think any new owner would see the Triple as a major issue, especially after talking with customers and management. I think it is near 35 years old or so--that's a factor. With Vail's buying power, that reduces the purchase price of a new lift. I think the wildcard is still the NFS/WMNF permitting process. Does anyone know if they did get a permit for replacement a few years back? I'm not talking about ASC, but Peaks.

drewfidelic

Since Vail already deals with the NFS on many of its other Western resorts on public land, I'd think that Vail is much more prepared than Peak to deal with the permitting process.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Since Vail already deals with the NFS on many of its other Western resorts on public land, I'd think that Vail is much more prepared than Peak to deal with the permitting process.

Good point. More expertise and resources for sure. However, I think that such decisions are made on a regional level. Anyone know?

EPB

Agreed. I think any new owner would see the Triple as a major issue, especially after talking with customers and management. I think it is near 35 years old or so--that's a factor. With Vail's buying power, that reduces the purchase price of a new lift. I think the wildcard is still the NFS/WMNF permitting process. Does anyone know if they did get a permit for replacement a few years back? I'm not talking about ASC, but Peaks.
I've heard mixed rumors on whether Peak renewed the permits. I always operated under the assumption that Peak could have built it if they really wanted to, but the desire was never there. I really have a hard time believing that permitting would actually stand in the way. Not the most informed take, but the lift like asked exists and Peak surely had enough irons in the fire with the forest service that I'm sure they could have acquiesced on an ask or two elsewhere to get it done.

GregoryIsaacs

I've heard mixed rumors on whether Peak renewed the permits. I always operated under the assumption that Peak could have built it if they really wanted to, but the desire was never there. I really have a hard time believing that permitting would actually stand in the way. Not the most informed take, but the lift like asked exists and Peak surely had enough irons in the fire with the forest service that I'm sure they could have acquiesced on an ask or two elsewhere to get it done.

LOL to the thought of someone showing Rob Katz a printout of the pages upon pages of AZ discussion of that triple.. That alone would be enough to convince him id imagine