Attitash Summit Triple Problems 2018-2019 - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GregoryIsaacs View Post
    On a side note, anyone ever ski the line that was cut for the monorail on Attitash Mt. in the 60's? looks pretty gnarly and steep from google earth
    I recall reading about that. Care to share a snapshot from Google Earth?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

[QUOTE=eastern powder baby;1013306]Adding the capacity of the two lifts together. (950 people per hour for the double and 1500 for the triple), you get 2450 PPH, which is in the range for a high speed quad (2,400-2,800). These lifts spun every weekend from 1986/87 to 1998/99 in a time when there was no bear peak until 1994/1995) and no Flying Yankee.
    [\QUOTE]

I think 2,800 for a quad is really pushing it. That’s only 5 seconds between each chair. I think 6-9 is much more common. I have heard of a few 6 packs in that range. I have heard 2400 for the hunter 6 packs, bluebird and killington 6 pack.

There is plenty of leeway regarding capacity when you take chair spacing into account. I have the type of career that makes me anal about providing accurate numbers, so if I throw out a statistic that doesn't pass the sniff test, it's probably a typo. This site below hasn't been updated in years, but it provides the specs on lift installations from the 60s through 2009. Capacity is one of the specs it tracks. You can see that several HSQs are spec-ed for 2800 if you scroll though enough pages.

As a disclaimer, that doesn't mean they all actually run at spec capacity on the flying bear at Attitash, for example, has 82 chairs. If you do the math, its functional capacity is 1800 (on par with a fixed triple at my max capacity).

http://www.skilifts.org/old/install_na.htm

Several old Yan HSQs like the Sunday River Express were designed to carry 3000 PPH. If you ever rode it in the 90s or earlier, you'd probably understand how that was possible and why they aren't designed that way anymore.

Larger lifts seem to hit diminishing returns on capacity because chair spacing needs to be wider. I haven't done an exhaustive study, but 6 pack capacity seems to max out at 3600 PPH and Doppelmayr's brochure on high speed lifts advertises max capacity of high speed lifts (presumably 8 packs) at 4000 PPH. Remontees Mechaniques and liftblog have more good info, but the former is in French, so beware if French isn't your thing.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Ski season is always too short

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    I recall reading about that. Care to share a snapshot from Google Earth?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
    This?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ba...!4d-71.2342866

Or this?

https://earthengine.google.com/timelapse/
    lovin life,

Bob

I can't tell where the line is on those.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Are you sure you're not referring to the section of the power line that was cut between Tim's and the Top Notch? I thought the monorail follows modern day straight shot up to Saco, but I could be wrong.

The monorail line still exists as Straight Shot. It cuts diagonally across the slope and isn't very steep. The portion above Idiots Option is nearly flat. The mountain coaster is on the lower portion which was once the trail Hunky Dory.
    67 attitash map.jpg

Thanks for finding that.... There is a power line that starts above the old Top Notch. It crosses Saco and goes out of bounds. It comes back in bounds near Tim's and takes a steep path to Homeward Bound. It then crosses Cathedral and shoots down to the base area next to Grandstand. That's probably what you all are referencing.

Quote Originally Posted by eastern powder baby View Post
    Thanks for finding that.... There is a power line that starts above the old Top Notch. It crosses Saco and goes out of bounds. It comes back in bounds near Tim's and takes a steep path to Homeward Bound. It then crosses Cathedral and shoots down to the base area next to Grandstand. That's probably what you all are referencing.

Attitash.jpg

Attitash1.jpg

Attitash2.jpg

It looks like it may have grown in as per the most recent google image shot.

Quote Originally Posted by gregnye View Post
    Never been to Sunday River (it's on my list to get to), but from pictures it seems like the Barker lift is a similar model to Killington's Superstar chair, which also has very long operational hours (October--May). Anyone know what makes Barker so unreliable and Superstar ok? Maybe Sunday river needs to ask Killington about a good maintenance procedure for those retrofitted Yan lifts.
    The other thing between K (Superstar) and SR Barker is that while these two lifts were recovered with new terminal skins and got Poma chairs, the guts of the terminal and drive are still mostly Yan. Killington has three other of these Yan/Poma hybrid chairs (Snowshed and both Pico HSQ's) so their calculus may be a bit different in terms of pre-fabricating parts and keeping them on hand. They have to maintain 4 of these lifts after all, which means they will likely need the parts faster than SR does just maintaining one.

To note, the only other Yan-Poma hybrid in the east is the Grand Summit at Snow.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Thread Information