• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Attitash Summit Triple Problems 2018-2019

machski

What's the status of the expansion at Sunapee? That seemed like the only major potential need between the three areas (I am totally ignorant to Okemo in full disclosure). I also wonder if acquiring Crotched will quell the need to expand Sunapee in Vail's eyes.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app
They had moved some of the plans along but nothing imminent to my knowledge at Sunapee. I feel like Stowe Mansfield side could use some lift modernization, especially considering Vail considers it a top tier offering.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

EPB

They had moved some of the plans along but nothing imminent to my knowledge at Sunapee. I feel like Stowe Mansfield side could use some lift modernization, especially considering Vail considers it a top tier offering.

Yeah I would have expected either a Toll House parking expansion and lift update or some rework of the capacity between the 4runner and that triple. Not gonna happen until at least next summer now.

thetrailboss

Staff member
What's the status of the expansion at Sunapee? That seemed like the only major potential need between the three areas (I am totally ignorant to Okemo in full disclosure). I also wonder if acquiring Crotched will quell the need to expand Sunapee in Vail's eyes.

Speaking of Crotched and Sunapee, could you imagine being Pats Peak and waking up last week to see that your two closest competitors are now owned by Vail?

chuckstah

Speaking of Crotched and Sunapee, could you imagine being Pats Peak and waking up last week to see that your two closest competitors are now owned by Vail?
Pat's may get a nice boost in business from those not interested in Epic, but only time will tell. I have a full season to decide, as I live right near the triangle of the 3, and I'm Epic this season, like it or not. All options will be considered next year.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

EPB

Pat's may get a nice boost in business from those not interested in Epic, but only time will tell. I have a full season to decide, as I live right near the triangle of the 3, and I'm Epic this season, like it or not. All options will be considered next year.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app
I could see this going either way. Their season pass looks less appealing than it did two weeks ago. A day ticket on a Saturday is a different story. I also don't know how to handicap the intensity with which Vail will go after Pat's night business. My guess is they won't try that hard.

Edd

Cranmore is in a similar situation but they’ve enjoyed some real investments in the base area in recent years. They’re also more family focused than Cat/Attitash luckily.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah I would have expected either a Toll House parking expansion and lift update or some rework of the capacity between the 4runner and that triple. Not gonna happen until at least next summer now.

I'd like to see the triple go to HS6. Plenty of trail capacity over there and it would help reduce lines on the Forerunner. I'd leave Lookout double as is for wind hold insurance

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Newpylong

The Patenaude's aren't sweating any bullets over it. Business as usual for them. Snowmaking, snowmaking and snowmaking and affordable lift improvements. Theyll keep printing money.

Jully

The Patenaude's aren't sweating any bullets over it. Business as usual for them. Snowmaking, snowmaking and snowmaking and affordable lift improvements. Theyll keep printing money.

The school programs there I imagine are such money makers and Vail I doubt will try to grab that market too much.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Crotched though. Never was crowded before and there isn't a ton of parking. It is mega out of the way, so I don't see it ever getting TOO crowded. Also anyone else think Midnight Madness might be gone?

machski

I would think Pat's will be fine, maybe even an uptick in business, especially night skiing if Vail increases Crotched's ticket price substantially. Should be interesting to see. We looked at a night of night skiing at Park City when we were out this past February on our Ikons, a single night was ridiculously priced for the limited terrain offered. We passed.

Quietman

Funny, I looked at crotched's web site today and there is now no mention of Vail or the epic pass. Only seasons pass options listed are the Peaks passes. Have to go to Facebook to see Vail mentioned. Strange!

Added edit: this is now the same for all Peaks areas

Last edited:

Katahdin

Anybody know what's up with the Attitash summit triple? Is this hunk of junk broken again? There was an extended stoppage of an hour or so this morning. When they got it running again they were only loading 5 out of every 6 chairs for a while before closing the lift. That leaves only 4 trails on the lower half of the mountain.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Anybody know what's up with the Attitash summit triple? Is this hunk of junk broken again? There was an extended stoppage of an hour or so this morning. When they got it running again they were only loading 5 out of every 6 chairs for a while before closing the lift. That leaves only 4 trails on the lower half of the mountain.

De ja vu all over again!

Vail to the rescue? I’d expect a cheap replacement in the form of another fixed-grip or one with a carpet.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

xlr8r

It was running fine on Sunday the 29th. Actually ran pretty fast for a fixed grip.

thebigo

Rode it several times today with no problems but everytime it stops you wonder if it will start again. Attitash was spectacular today, big soft bumps everywhere. Many low level skiers struggling severely but one of my best days over the last couple of years.

deadheadskier

Staff member
That is not going to happen at 6200 feet long.
Agreed

I wonder how many fixed grip chairs over about maybe 4k length have been installed anywhere in North America in the past 20 years or so. Unless it's specifically for expert level terrain and limiting capacity like a Castle Rock, I just don't recall such a new FG install. People just don't want to spend 10+ minutes on a chair.

I guess the "new" Magic quad would qualify

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member