Attitash Summit Triple Problems 2018-2019 - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Okemo had carpets for loading (pretty sure) and unloading (that I am positive on) for one of there base area quads. The unload carpet has been gone a few seasons now...it was monumentally stupid.

In my experience, a carpet mitigates load/unload issues minimally and freaks people out more than anything. Berkshire East has one on their main lift and it has a tendency to stop. Sugarbush has Valley House with a load carpet and it works fine... I really think it depends on the general ability level of the clientele.

As far as Attitash Triple vs Sunbrook quad being replaced...both are probably the most over-due lift replacements needed in the East. Bonnie at Jay a close 3rd.
    2019-2020 0 days and holding...
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Couple things to consider about high speed and carpet loaders but might require fact checking as the information I had is outdated and perhaps inaccurate.

Attitash is running the summit lift into the White Mountain National Forest. I've heard they are restricted on uphill capacity because of this. Therefore, if they were to put in a high speed lift they'd have to space the chairs far enough apart that the actual number of skiers delivered to the summit wouldn't change.

I've heard that the carpet loaders weren't so much for speeding up the lifts but more about reducing the repetitive stress injuries on the lifties that have to swing the chairs for skiers and riders to load. Carpets don't require the "swing".
    Quiver:
    Rossignol Experience 88 HD (All Mountain)
    Rossignol Hero Master M18 (GS Carver)
    Rossignol Soul 7 HD (Off Piste) 136/106/126
    Rossignol Super 7 (Snorkel) 140/116/130

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    As far as Attitash Triple vs Sunbrook quad being replaced...both are probably the most over-due lift replacements needed in the East. Bonnie at Jay a close 3rd.
    Agreed, both very overdue, but with a somewhat different level of urgency and consequences. If Sunbrook is slow or goes down for a day, Mount Snow goes on. If the summit triple at Attitash is fakakta to the point of being down, like recently - alert, unnecessary hyperbole ahead! - you might as well just hang a "closed today - go ski Bear" sign at the base lodge. The couple times that lift's been out of commission while I'm there, I bounced right over to Bear and stayed there. The Yankee quad's for making quick warm-up runs, not lapping all day. In fact I'd rather lap the Abenaki quad as long as the glades below it are skiing.
    Now if you want to talk about a lift that's slow as dirt...

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post

Sunday River Barker Quad is the most over-due lift replacement in the East. The most important lift at what most years is the second busiest place in New England next to Killington. Severe reliability issues with Barker Quad.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by So Inclined View Post
    Agreed, both very overdue, but with a somewhat different level of urgency and consequences. If Sunbrook is slow or goes down for a day, Mount Snow goes on. If the summit triple at Attitash is fakakta to the point of being down, like recently - alert, unnecessary hyperbole ahead! - you might as well just hang a "closed today - go ski Bear" sign at the base lodge. The couple times that lift's been out of commission while I'm there, I bounced right over to Bear and stayed there. The Yankee quad's for making quick warm-up runs, not lapping all day. In fact I'd rather lap the Abenaki quad as long as the glades below it are skiing.
    Now if you want to talk about a lift that's slow as dirt...
    While we're talking about dumb/overdue for replacement lift setups--we cannot forget about Waterville's Green Peak Triple chair! I understand they wanted to do the expansion cheaply, but come on now--that thing is so slow. They should have moved the Valley Run quad (or "Quadzilla"--by the way why don't they call it that anymore??)
    "Well, they called him Super Skier,
    As he sat around the sundeck,
    For he swore that he would never take a spill.
    When they finally brought him down
    They had to use three toboggans
    To carry all the pieces down the hill."
    --Chad Mitchell Trio

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    Couple things to consider about high speed and carpet loaders but might require fact checking as the information I had is outdated and perhaps inaccurate.

Attitash is running the summit lift into the White Mountain National Forest. I've heard they are restricted on uphill capacity because of this. Therefore, if they were to put in a high speed lift they'd have to space the chairs far enough apart that the actual number of skiers delivered to the summit wouldn't change.

I've heard that the carpet loaders weren't so much for speeding up the lifts but more about reducing the repetitive stress injuries on the lifties that have to swing the chairs for skiers and riders to load. Carpets don't require the "swing".
    So what about the WMNF. What do you think Wildcat HSQ, Lonn's HSQ's and Gondola or WV's HSQ run into? I think that arguement is out the window, Peaks has plenty to base an upgrade to the triple and multiple examples of where higher capacity lifts are allowed into the WMNF.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gregnye View Post
    While we're talking about dumb/overdue for replacement lift setups--we cannot forget about Waterville's Green Peak Triple chair! I understand they wanted to do the expansion cheaply, but come on now--that thing is so slow. They should have moved the Valley Run quad (or "Quadzilla"--by the way why don't they call it that anymore??)
    WV "new" ownership took off the hat and repainted it green cause they suck and hate fun. Quadzilla was the best when I was a kid.

I think the summit is more important to Attitash as a resort, but the Sunbrook quad is more important to Peak corporate because of how much more important Mount Snow is to the company as a whole. Do you upgrade your minor league team's stadium before you finish refurbing your MLB club's ballpark if you can only afford one? Ideally you could of course afford both at the same time.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app
    Last edited by sull1102; Jan 8, 2019 at 8:34 PM.
    2014-2015
    11/3- Sunday River
    11/9- Bretton Woods
    12/13- Bretton Woods
    1/18- Wachusett
    1/25- Watatic
    1/29- Wachusett

www.skibigsquaw.com

Re: summit capacity. The excuse I recall from Attitash is that they don't have the downhill capacity to handle a quad (not forest service related unless they claim it's impossible to cut new trails, which seems to be their half baked implication), and the rumor is that the permit from the Les Otten days to upgrade to an HSQ has expired. I never heard about the forest service capping capacity. Remember, there used to be a double (Top Notch) which let off just shy of the summit. It ran every day on the weekends right next to the triple from 1986 to at least 1998 when the Yankee was installed.

Re: loading carpet. I think it would be necessary if the triple replaced the double-doubles because that is a beginner area, and I doubt the clientele could load it at it's spec speed without a lot of wipeouts.

I would also submit the Superquad at SL (reliability), the Sterling double at Smuggs and any borvig lift (half in jest) as lifts on the short list of being most in need of replacement.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Ski season is always too short

Re: dull. That's been the logic for the last 15+ years. The problem now is the choice might be between upgrades at the major leagues and no viable minor league park at all.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Ski season is always too short

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Sunday River Barker Quad is the most over-due lift replacement in the East. The most important lift at what most years is the second busiest place in New England next to Killington. Severe reliability issues with Barker Quad.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

I can agree with this sentiment. It is THE heaviest used lift on mountain and seems to be breaking down, something somewhere "all the time". I'm kinda hoping there are enough issues with it that it gets moved to the front burner for this Summer, like the water line that was due 4 years from now.
    lovin life,

Bob

Thread Information