Attitash Summit Triple Problems 2018-2019 - Page 12

AlpineZone

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    They threw way too much money away on that lift...

Quote Originally Posted by MEtoVTSkier View Post
    They threw way too much money away on that lift...
    It should have been replaced years ago. Hopefully, Vail won't get bogged down in a sunk cost analysis and just replace it next year. I read a while back on liftblog that Vail usually announces new projects in the Feb-Mar range. Hopefully, they announce then that they will replace the triple.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Ski season is always too short

Quote Originally Posted by eastern powder baby View Post
    It should have been replaced years ago. Hopefully, Vail won't get bogged down in a sunk cost analysis and just replace it next year. I read a while back on liftblog that Vail usually announces new projects in the Feb-Mar range. Hopefully, they announce then that they will replace the triple.

Years ago when Greg used to do the AZ challenge, someone from Attitash (pre-peaks days) said a HSQ and a couple more trails to handle the additional trail traffic was on the road map. Hopefully those drawings are still somewhere in a closet and someone hands them to Vail management.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

As said, Attitash hasn't seen any major updates since ASC in the late 1990's. That is a long time.

I recall Attitash ALWAYS being busy when I drove by. I would think that any improvements would help to re-establish their brand. The MWV is a great place.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Years ago when Greg used to do the AZ challenge, someone from Attitash (pre-peaks days) said a HSQ and a couple more trails to handle the additional trail traffic was on the road map. Hopefully those drawings are still somewhere in a closet and someone hands them to Vail management.

To echo you and TB, this would be a huge boon for Attitash. As someone who grew up skiing there and tries to get back a couple times a year, I think Vail ownership is likely to be a huge win for MWV area. Spending the $$$ to get Attitash into the 21st century is a drop in the bucket for Vail and would go a long way towards improving the skier experience. A high speed lift and a few extra trails should help handle the added Vail traffic adequately - it's not like the place is already jammed up like a Sunapee or Hunter.

On top of the triple (which is mindboggling as it is), they ran all last season down a pump at Bear and down two compressors (for both mountains). One compressor has been down for years, and the other within the past year. Instead of repairing it with the insurance money received they decided to buy more guns with the payout. These are all corporate decisions.

Assuming no new trails with a HSQ, local management wants to at least replace the snowmaking on Wilfred's which has been not operational in years. Word is a certain Peak's Operations Manager either couldn't get it working or froze the line and threw a hissy fit. ince then it's been disconnected. The water lines does a 180 at the top of the CTEC instead of continuing over to the valve station, making reconnection pretty tough.

Not many folks over there shedding tears to see Peaks go.

Hopefully the new management makes a replacement happen, and soon. It would be great to see them get in for next year's construction season.

That said, they've put a lot of money into this left, and an '88 CTEC has some value. I wouldn't be surprised to see the lift live on elsewhere if replaced in the next few years. Wildcat comes to mind where there are some older Riblets and they're already familiar with this model. Otherwise, there's plenty of other mountains in the newly expanded Vail portfolio (or many other mountains in general) that would gladly take a CTEC with a newly upgraded drive terminal.
    Joe

2018/19 - 36 days
    Hunter - 11/17, 11/25, 12/8, 1/26, 3/16, 3/24
    Big Boulder - 11/18, 11/23, 1/4, 1/11, 1/18, 3/3
    Mount Snow - 11/24, 4/6, 4/7
    Camelback - 12/15
    Waterville Valley - 12/29
    Jack Frost - 1/6, 1/12, 1/19, 1/27, 2/23, 3/2
    Mountain Creek - 1/13, 1/15, 3/8, 3/9, 3/17
    Jackson Hole - 2/3, 2/4, 2/5
    Park City - 2/7, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10
    Wachusett - 2/16

Replace Bobcat at Cat with the triple and put in a conveyor. Would be a nicer ride for the racers and intermediates that use that pod.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Replace Bobcat at Cat with the triple and put in a conveyor. Would be a nicer ride for the racers and intermediates that use that pod.

That would be a big help over there.

I've mentioned this before, but I'd like to see the triple replaced by a six pack with a mid station just above where the Yankee ends (to serve all the terrain covered by the Yankee). That way, the Yankee could replace the double-doubles, which also really need to be replaced.

Seems too easy, but I would argue that Attitash was by far the most mismanaged property of all the Peak Resorts. At least they really cared about Crotched in the beginning. Attitash seemed like an "oh yeah, we still own that place?" type of situation for Peak. It's sad because it could have been second to Mount Snow on the totem pole thanks to the big summer business and MWV instead of what it became.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using AlpineZone mobile app
    2014-2015
    11/3- Sunday River
    11/9- Bretton Woods
    12/13- Bretton Woods
    1/18- Wachusett
    1/25- Watatic
    1/29- Wachusett

www.skibigsquaw.com

Thread Information