• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Attitash Summit Triple Problems 2018-2019

gregnye

The lift has only been partially removed. The base station, rope, and chairs are gone. The towers with sheaves and top station are still in place. I guess that still counts as a lift.

By Attitash standards--yes, it's still a lift
By Killington standards---No, but it's a bar!! :grin:

thetrailboss

Staff member
By Attitash standards--yes, it's still a lift
By Killington standards---No, but it's a bar!! :grin:

:lol:

Yeah, I was reminded a few weeks ago about Devil's Fiddle. That is just weird. It would be one thing if they fixed up the terminal, but from what I have seen they haven't even done that. You can pay for the privilege of having a drink in a rusted and derelict chair lift terminal.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
The other thing between K (Superstar) and SR Barker is that while these two lifts were recovered with new terminal skins and got Poma chairs, the guts of the terminal and drive are still mostly Yan. Killington has three other of these Yan/Poma hybrid chairs (Snowshed and both Pico HSQ's) so their calculus may be a bit different in terms of pre-fabricating parts and keeping them on hand. They have to maintain 4 of these lifts after all, which means they will likely need the parts faster than SR does just maintaining one.

To note, the only other Yan-Poma hybrid in the east is the Grand Summit at Snow.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

I'm not so sure about that...I'm not positive but I had heard that the only Yan parts on all those lifts are things that don't generate power/movement (towers, footings, terminal structure, etc.) The primary components are Poma... motor, gearbox, electrical.

MEtoVTSkier

:lol:

Yeah, I was reminded a few weeks ago about Devil's Fiddle. That is just weird. It would be one thing if they fixed up the terminal, but from what I have seen they haven't even done that. You can pay for the privilege of having a drink in a rusted and derelict chair lift terminal.

There must be a good reason for that, perhaps Act250 wise, it would be replacing an "existing" lift, vs. a "new install" if they ever decided they wanted something else there. Probably the same idea with the USFS.

gregnye

There must be a good reason for that, perhaps Act250 wise, it would be replacing an "existing" lift, vs. a "new install" if they ever decided they wanted something else there. Probably the same idea with the USFS.

Everyone keeps saying this, but realistically why would K ever need the Devil's Fiddle chair again? Even if they open the abandoned part of sunrise people would just ski over the sky peak express or the Bear Quad. I think K just is lazy. What I would do it remove all the towers except for the Motor Room Bar. That way at least it doesn't look like a junkyard and the bar idea can stay because it's cool.

EPB

If the incumbency theory is true, taking the towers down would be throwing away a free option (at the cost of removing the towers to boot).

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Many times it has been asked "why don't they at least clean up and take down the towers? Please explain to me a safe, cheap option to remove said towers next to what is one of the steepest, rockiest trails in the East? There's no work road, and the liftline, even when it was cleared when the lift ran, was not wide enough to get a vehicle through.

What do you want them to do? Fly out the towers with a heli? Let 'em rot away in peace.

There is no reason for a chair there.

Smellytele

Many times it has been asked "why don't they at least clean up and take down the towers? Please explain to me a safe, cheap option to remove said towers next to what is one of the steepest, rockiest trails in the East? There's no work road, and the liftline, even when it was cleared when the lift ran, was not wide enough to get a vehicle through.

What do you want them to do? Fly out the towers with a heli? Let 'em rot away in peace.

There is no reason for a chair there.

when you have an old decrepit triple, an old decrepit double would help.

machski

I'm not so sure about that...I'm not positive but I had heard that the only Yan parts on all those lifts are things that don't generate power/movement (towers, footings, terminal structure, etc.) The primary components are Poma... motor, gearbox, electrical.
Well, yes, most of that has been upgraded, though not 100% certain on the drive itself.. But the hydraulic tension system is still Yan (and still requires power to function) along with the transmission. I know several key components that have failed at Barker, the GM asked his lift ops manager to pull it off of South Ridge and the answer was, no can do, Yan part not Poma.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

prsboogie

The new summit lift will go where the Triple is, and the Yankee will stay. Another project eventually will be to replace the Double Borvigs. They will replace snowmaking on Wilfreds Gaum to handle additional capacity off top.
Would love to see this happen, and soon!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Cheese

So, now that it's up and running, who's going to ride it this weekend for some powder turns down Ptarmigan, Idiots Option and Tim's Trauma?

prsboogie

Summit triple problems continue. The lift was down again all weekend with no time frame for its repair. Resulting lift queues at Bear Peak on Saturday were the longest I've even seen. There was even a substantial wait at the Abenaki Quad.

Blog from Attitash:
https://www.attitash.com/blog/lifts-/new-blog-61/
It's disgusting they continue to flog their patrons with that hunk of shit lift. I was there as well and conditions were very good until 1 when everything was skied off except the very edges of the trails.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

GregoryIsaacs

After skiing there this past super bowl weekend, I really dont get the amount of hate that this lift gets. There really aren't many options off the top and a HSQ would surely turn that area into long john 2.0 but with steeper terrain and even less space.

Unless they cut new trails off the summit, there really isnt a point to replace when it serves its purpose adequately. That being said, there has to be a point where the continued repairs just dont add up and a replacement will be necessary to keep customers. I feel like a new un-detachable triple just wouldnt have the marketing bang they would be hoping for

Newpylong

With repaired snowmaking on Wilfred's the upper mountain can handle a HSQ with properly spaced out carriers to control capacity. To me the ride time is the biggest issue, outside of obvious recent reliability concerns.

Last edited:

xlr8r

With repaired snowmaking on Wildred's the upper mountain can handle a HSQ with properly spaced out carriers to control capacity. To me the ride time is the biggest issue, outside of obvious recent reliability concerns.

Exactly, just build a HSQ with very wide chair spacing, give it less capacity even than the current triple. People all the time think a new new HSQ means more capacity, it does not. Also it would be an easy adjustment to then add more chairs on the lift to increase capacity in the future if Attitash ever cuts more trails off the summit.

Katahdin

Another weekend coming without the Summit Triple. They are in the process removing the bullwheel. I think this will be the 6th weekend without the lift already this season.

Looks like they already have plenty of excuses why the lift won't be replaced. From John Lowell in the Conway Daily Sun article:
Asked if there are plans to replace the Summit Triple with a high-speed detachable lift, given the CTEC’s slowness even when it is running properly, Lowell said replacement has been discussed for many years but that ultimately it is a decision Peak Resorts of Wildwood, Mo. — owner of Attitash and Wildcat, among many other ski areas — will make one way or the other. “There’s nothing concrete on the table right now to replace that lift … There are two major lift companies still in existence (Poma and Doppelmayr) and both are backed up in manufacturing,” Lowell said. He said there is probably a two-year wait for lifts right now. “So, even if that were a decision, it couldn’t possibly happen for next season,” he said.

https://www.conwaydailysun.com/news...cle_44061e84-3af2-11e9-a703-7715ccd6d2c6.html

gregnye

Another weekend coming without the Summit Triple. They are in the process removing the bullwheel. I think this will be the 6th weekend without the lift already this season.

Ok so new bullwheel, new electronics, new drive motor? Can someone make a list of the stuff they haven't replaced yet? Because it seems like they have more new stuff retrofitted on there than original equipment.

Peaks is unbelievably cheap when it comes to NH. Even putting a loading carpet to speed up the ride time would be something. At this point the Top Notch double was faster and more reliable! Should have kept that lift!

So it's 2019, Attitash still has a 15 minute lift ride thats over a mile long. Wildcat still has rusty water thats undrinkable. But it's ok though, because Hunter just installed their second 6 person lift to please people from New York City---that can't even handle the steepness of the new terrain.:roll:

/End rant

Vaughn

I like this phrase:

"Obviously some piece failed way before the end of its usable life, and we’re going to be interested to figure out how and why it did to prevent this from happening on this lift, as well as other lifts by this manufacturer."

Yes, I'd be pretty interested if a crucial asset failed after only 5 years of service during the very narrow window to make money off of it. And I'd be interested to know how interested my lawyers could get about it.

I wonder what the net change in ski lifts running in New England over the past 10 years is. Magic re-opened, Ascutney closed, small places like Granite Gorge closed, Haystack is, well TBD. Tenney kind of reopened. How many areas have gotten actual new lifts vs. just shuffling around the same tired inventory?