Towns near Stratton or Mt.Snow

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Towns near Stratton or Mt.Snow

My family is thinking about changing our home mountain from Okemo to either Stratton or Mt. Snow, due primarily to the high lift ticket price.

Are there good-sized towns near either of them, with a supermarket, decent restaurants, shops, and what not?

Ludlow is one of the reasons we keep going back to Okemo, but Google maps doesn’t show something comparable around Stratton or Mt. Snow.

Quote Originally Posted by New Daddy View Post
    My family is thinking about changing our home mountain from Okemo to either Stratton or Mt. Snow, due primarily to the high lift ticket price.

Are there good-sized towns near either of them, with a supermarket, decent restaurants, shops, and what not?

Ludlow is one of the reasons we keep going back to Okemo, but Google maps doesn’t show something comparable around Stratton or Mt. Snow.
    Mount Snow has Dover/Wilmington. There's stores,restaurants, banks right in town. That's probably the closer thing to ludlow of the 2. There isn't much around Stratton unless you want to drive down to Manchester
    Last edited by icecoast1; Jan 6, 2019 at 7:36 AM.

...don't all of those mountains have about the same ticket price ?

Manchester is like 20 mins from stratton

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

The Epic Pass isn't cheap enough?

IMO, as far as cheap ski towns, nothing beats Ludlow. Lots of competition between businesses has made for crazy low prices. Cheapest gas you'll find in a ski town. Lots of ski shops...you'll be able to find ANYTHING. The Shaw's is awesome to have. Village Pizza and Subway let you eat hot food cheap and fast.

I believe I've stopped in Londonberry for food as they have a small supermarket. Also there's a liquor store, gas. I stay in Weston right over the big hill on 100 from Ludlow. Really...if Ludlow is your baseline be ready to give up some convenience.
    2018-2019 27 days and counting...
    Thunder Ridge: 12/1, 12/15, 12/23, 12/24, 12/26, 12/27, 12/29, 12/30, 12/31, 1/1, 1/5
    Mount Snow: 10/27, 11/21, 12/12
    Killington: 11/16, 12/7, 12/9, 12/13, 12/20
    Sugarbush: 12/8, 1/3
    Magic: 11/30 Smuggler's Notch: 12/17 Jay Peak: 12/18 Sunapee: 12/19 Mad River Glen: 1/2 Mohawk: 1/4
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    ... The Shaw's is awesome to have. Village Pizza and Subway let you eat hot food cheap and fast.

Wow...never thought I'd see Shaw's and awesome used together in the same sentence like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Euler View Post
    Wow...never thought I'd see Shaw's and awesome used together in the same sentence like that!
    Hey it's cheaper and has more selection than Vern's Artisan Cheese Shoppe. A full-service supermarket in a ski town in Vermont...that's a win.
    2018-2019 27 days and counting...
    Thunder Ridge: 12/1, 12/15, 12/23, 12/24, 12/26, 12/27, 12/29, 12/30, 12/31, 1/1, 1/5
    Mount Snow: 10/27, 11/21, 12/12
    Killington: 11/16, 12/7, 12/9, 12/13, 12/20
    Sugarbush: 12/8, 1/3
    Magic: 11/30 Smuggler's Notch: 12/17 Jay Peak: 12/18 Sunapee: 12/19 Mad River Glen: 1/2 Mohawk: 1/4
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Ludlow is one of the more/most unique VT villages when one considers amenities and distance from lifts of a “resort”. I am hard pressed to recall a town like Ludlow that is less than 10 minutes from lifts. Stowe, Waitsfield and Wilmington are probably the closest comps....
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Quote Originally Posted by Euler View Post
    never thought I'd see Shaw's and awesome used together in the same sentence
    I dont think Shaw's is terrible, but for whatever reason, the uber-nice grocery store chains have not made it to Vermont yet.

Nothing like Wegman's, etc......
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Thread Information