• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Towns near Stratton or Mt.Snow

New Daddy

That was my first thought... Plus the Epic local pass gives unlimited access to Okemo. Isn't that pass cheaper than the previous Okemo ones? A few weekends of use and the pass is paid for.

Yes, I’m beginning to realize that we won’t be saving much by moving to Mt. Snow or Stratton. Their online prices are a little lower than Okemo, but not by much.

Zand

I can't come up with one reason in my head why someone would leave Okemo for Mt Snow or especially Stratton. Okemo is by far the best of the intermediate groomed type hills in Vermont and the Epic Pass should keep the cost right at the same level as the other two.

Blowhard

glad you came to your senses!
I have skied Mt Snow for most of my adult life. I did ski shares there in my mid-late 20s, came back with my kids, went sporadically with my kids when they were younger, Ex wife wasn't really a skier (don't every make that mistake!) - once divorced 9 years ago, started coming to Mt Snow a lot. There is no real grocery store, the one in Wilmington is lacking. If you think the Shaw's in Ludlow is meh, it's head and shoulders above what I experienced in Wilmington.

As for the mountain, clearly there are a few north face trails that are better than most anything in terms of length AND steepness to what's at Okemo. In fairness, I am yet to spend any real time in Okemo's trees.

Last year as I am in my early 50s I started looking for a vacation/ early / semi retirement spot. Found one on a lake 3 miles north of Okemo. Thought I'd get an IKON pass and ski Okemo & Killington(skyship is 12 miles from my house). Once Vail bought Okemo it became just Okemo. The town is way better, the only thing the Mt Snow valley had was a bunch of more upscale restaurants (I like that thing) there ARE two VERY good restaurants in Ludlow and some ok ones. Really would like to find something that has the family appeal of a Last Chair at Mt Snow in the Ludlow area.

I am meeting folks, getting to know the shops and finding people to skin with, it's a great place. As for your first issue, price, I can't imagine that if you shop for deals, there is much difference and that you'd be splitting hairs, on a season pass basis, you can't beat the epic pass. My kids & I are going to Vail/Keystone/ A-basin for 4 days over MLK weekend, the Epic pass will pay for itself right there making my entire season at Okemo free. If we get great snow in February or March I won't think twice about buying a ticket at Magic or Killington.

2Planker

North Conway. 1 ski area in Town (Cranmore), 3 ski areas within 10 minutes (Black, Attitash, King Pine) and 2 more within 20 (Wildcat, Shawnee Peak)

YUP ! Not to mention Hannaford, Shaws and SuperWalMart all in town, along w/ approx 50 more places to eat.

Just voted Best Ski Town in the country but please keep the word down....8)

FBGM

YUP ! Not to mention Hannaford, Shaws and SuperWalMart all in town, along w/ approx 50 more places to eat.

Just voted Best Ski Town in the country but please keep the word down....8)

Best ski town for what? Scoring cheap Heroin? Overdosing? Same person made that list as the fake ski college list.

skiur

Best ski town for what? Scoring cheap Heroin? Overdosing? Same person made that list as the fake ski college list.

Did someone in N Conway touch you like the someone from peaks did? How is N Conway not a great ski town? It must suck to be you. Seems like life must be really shitty for you to be so bitter.

FBGM

Did someone in N Conway touch you like the someone from peaks did? How is N Conway not a great ski town? It must suck to be you. Seems like life must be really shitty for you to be so bitter.

Have you ever heard of Aspen. Park City. Break. Steamboat. Truckee. There are some actual ski towns. And in those places I’d be happy to be touched by some housewife in fur driving a Range Rover.

2Planker

Have you ever heard of Aspen. Park City. Break. Steamboat. Truckee. There are some actual ski towns. And in those places I’d be happy to be touched by some housewife in fur driving a Range Rover.

Sounds like my wife's distracted driving in N Conway :)