• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Another reason to wear a helmet...

gregnye

Anyone else notice that skis fall off of the new Killington gondola cabins often? The slots appear to be too big. More often than not it appears to be smaller rental-skis that fall off.

Yesterday I helped bring two pairs of skis down on my 2 runs down Cascade. What amazes me though, is that most of the killington customers couldn't be bothered to stop and pick up the fallen skis. Like if this were Magic Mountain, sugarbush or other places, I bet more people would help the ski patrol out by bringing skis down.

By the way I don't blame killington for the falling skis--it seems to be a cabin design problem. I wonder if we will see similar issues with the Chondola at Copper or the Bretton Woods gondola if they are the same cabin style.

skiur

They are well aware of the problem with the racks, they wont even let snowboarders use the racks, all snowboards must be brought inside the cabin. Be real interesting to see what happens when somebody has a ski hit them in the head while skiing. Being that management is well aware of the problem, if somebody gets seriously injured by a ski falling off the gondola its going to be quite the lawsuit.

BenedictGomez

I don't blame killington for the falling skis--it seems to be a cabin design problem.

Which Killington is obviously aware of, thus you should blame Killington as well.

I wish I could buy call options on future multi-million dollar lawsuits.

mikec142

Bought a pair of J Skis this season (masterblasters) that are slightly twin tipped. They wouldn't fit in the standard slots on the Gore gondola and I was forced to take them apart and put them separately in the bigger snowboard slots. They looked like they could fall at any moment. Made me nervous each ride.

Even my older Rossi E88's wouldn't fit in the the gondola at Tremblant (maybe Stratton too, but I'm not sure).

Seems like a relatively easy (but costly) retrofit.

spiderpig

Anyone else notice that skis fall off of the new Killington gondola cabins often? The slots appear to be too big. More often than not it appears to be smaller rental-skis that fall off.

Yesterday I helped bring two pairs of skis down on my 2 runs down Cascade. What amazes me though, is that most of the killington customers couldn't be bothered to stop and pick up the fallen skis. Like if this were Magic Mountain, sugarbush or other places, I bet more people would help the ski patrol out by bringing skis down.

By the way I don't blame killington for the falling skis--it seems to be a cabin design problem. I wonder if we will see similar issues with the Chondola at Copper or the Bretton Woods gondola if they are the same cabin style.

Personally, if I see something under the lift I leave it there, assuming the person who dropped it knows where it is and, in this case, would send someone down to get it if it's two skis.

I'm no expert, but could they install some sort of rubber inside the current opening with a slot that you can put the skis/boards through but would grip them enough so that they wouldn't fall, no matter the length?

skiur

Bought a pair of J Skis this season (masterblasters) that are slightly twin tipped. They wouldn't fit in the standard slots on the Gore gondola and I was forced to take them apart and put them separately in the bigger snowboard slots. They looked like they could fall at any moment. Made me nervous each ride.

Even my older Rossi E88's wouldn't fit in the the gondola at Tremblant (maybe Stratton too, but I'm not sure).

Seems like a relatively easy (but costly) retrofit.

To fit twin tips in the racks u need to put the skis together but slide the front one up, get the back one in the rack then u can slide the front one down. On tighter racks u may need to pull the top of the front ski towards u a bit while sliding it down.

skifree

Personally, if I see something under the lift I leave it there, assuming the person who dropped it knows where it is and, in this case, would send someone down to get it if it's two skis.

I'm no expert, but could they install some sort of rubber inside the current opening with a slot that you can put the skis/boards through but would grip them enough so that they wouldn't fall, no matter the length?

Agree!!!
My son dropped a pole and took me all day to track it down.

Smellytele

Once while at Okemo I saw money under the lift while on the lift, I skied down and the money was still there so I grabbed it. it was like 32 bucks. Bought a few beers anyway.

jaybird

The new Killington cabin racks are the most ridiculous design in history. All snowboards load inside the cabin. The interiors of the cabins are already trashed. These cabins are 6 weeks old. They'll eventually retro fit the rack, but all they had to do was get these new things called bungee cords that work very well in strapping stuff down. Idiots. That place is F'd up.

i've found a guy's seasons pass once under a lift line.
That didn't convert me to wear a helmet.