• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The 25 Best Colleges For Skiing & Riding

gmcunni

Another BS list.. having 2 kids in 2 schools on this list makes me an expert! Son went to Syracuse, how does Cuse rate HIGHER than University of Colorado Boulder (daughter's school) for skiing? My son skied 1 time because the skiing in that area sucked. (sorry for greek peak fans). Boulder has buses every weekend taking kids to Summit County FFS.

The 25 Best Colleges For Skiing & Riding:
25) Western Colorado University – Gunnison, CO
24) University of Nevada – Reno – Reno, NV
23) University of Alaska Fairbanks – Fairbanks, AK
22) Colorado Mesa University – Grand Junction, CO
21) Montana State University – Bozeman, MT
20) University of Minnesota Duluth – Duluth, MN
19) University at Buffalo – Buffalo, NY
18: University of Wyoming – Laramie, WY
17) Westminster College – Salt Lake City, UT
16) University of Utah – Salt Lake City, UT
15) University of New Hampshire – Durham, NH
14) University of Vermont – Burlington, VT
13) Michigan Technological University – Houghton, MI
12) Western Washington University – Bellingham, WA
11) University of Colorado Boulder – Boulder, CO
10) University of Denver – Denver, CO
9) Syracuse University – Syracuse, NY
8: University of Rochester – Rochester, NY
7) Virginia Tech – Blacksburg, VA
6) St. Lawrence University – Canton, NY
5) Babson College – Wellesley, MA
4) Reed College – Portland, OR
3) Colorado College – Colorado Springs, CO
2) Dartmouth College – Dartmouth, MA
1) Middlebury College – Middlebury, VT

*source - https://www.collegeconsensus.com/

FBGM

The fuck is a VA school doing on that list. Seems like some college marketing teams padded some pockets or licked the right b hole to get their school on some fake list.

cdskier

How is University of Rochester #8? I went to another school in Rochester and while I skied every weekend (Bristol Mt is about 45 minutes away and the closest), I wouldn't say that should be any where near the top of the list. Anything with more vertical (Gore, Whiteface, or Vermont) you're looking at a minimum of 4-5 hours away. With that far of a trip, any college within the NY/NJ area could qualify for that same spot on the list.

cdskier

Another BS list.. having 2 kids in 2 schools on this list makes me an expert! Son went to Syracuse, how does Cuse rate HIGHER than University of Colorado Boulder (daughter's school) for skiing? My son skied 1 time because the skiing in that area sucked. (sorry for greek peak fans). Boulder has buses every weekend taking kids to Summit County FFS.

In reading the actual information on that website, the ranking order on the list has absolutely nothing to do with any skiing-related criteria.

"Since a ranking like this one is unavoidably subjective, institutions are ranked according to their College Consensus score, not any winter-related order (though annual inches of snowfall might open some eyes)."

JDMRoma

What No Plymouth State NH !! But UNH makes the list............dumb list

flakeydog

Middlebury and Dartmouth, they own their own ski areas so... of course (and the skiing at either is great btw). How UVM and Montana State are not in the top 10 is almost criminal. Their proximity to several legit major ski areas (Stowe/Sugarbush/MRG and Big Sky/Bridger) cannot really be argued. Not sure how Babson snuck in there... Also, Boulder, Denver and CO Springs are still a ways from skiing. I am not intimately familiar with CO but I do recall a ~2hr drive to Summit County from Denver and Boulder is not much closer. But it is just another one of those "lists", subjective as always.

BenedictGomez

These dopey lists are often just based on who can get out the best social media campaign & garner votes. Not sure if this one worked that way, but if it did it would have been hysterical if someplace like University of Miami or Southern Florida got on it.

skifree

My daughter goes to Castleton in VT.
Gets almost 100 days on hill and works part time at board shop on Killington access road.
Also surprised Plymouth didn't make list.

Zand

Apparently being 10 minutes from Burke and 50 minutes from Jay doesn't get you on this list....

2Planker

The 25 Best Colleges For Skiing & Riding:
25) Western Colorado University – Gunnison, CO
24) University of Nevada – Reno – Reno, NV
23) University of Alaska Fairbanks – Fairbanks, AK
22) Colorado Mesa University – Grand Junction, CO
21) Montana State University – Bozeman, MT
20) University of Minnesota Duluth – Duluth, MN
19) University at Buffalo – Buffalo, NY
18: University of Wyoming – Laramie, WY
17) Westminster College – Salt Lake City, UT
16) University of Utah – Salt Lake City, UT
15) University of New Hampshire – Durham, NH
14) University of Vermont – Burlington, VT
13) Michigan Technological University – Houghton, MI
12) Western Washington University – Bellingham, WA
11) University of Colorado Boulder – Boulder, CO
10) University of Denver – Denver, CO
9) Syracuse University – Syracuse, NY
8: University of Rochester – Rochester, NY
7) Virginia Tech – Blacksburg, VA
6) St. Lawrence University – Canton, NY
5) Babson College – Wellesley, MA
4) Reed College – Portland, OR
3) Colorado College – Colorado Springs, CO
2) Dartmouth College – Dartmouth, MA
1) Middlebury College – Middlebury, VT

How does Babson in MA make it and they leave of the other 100+ NE colleges..

And Dartmouth is def NOT in Dartmouth MA

ironhippy

I know a guy that went to University in Nelson BC (not sure which school)
They had a policy that whenever there was more than 30 cms (1 foot) of fresh snow, classes were cancelled and not because of safety or anything like that, everyone was at the ski hill.

Glenn

I kicked around transferring to UVM my sophomore year just for the skiing.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I kicked around transferring to UVM my sophomore year just for the skiing.
I did transfer to UVM for my softmore year due in large part to skiing. They kicked around transferring me out because of all the skiing I was doing. Lol.

Stern warning and I was much more attentive to my studies Junior and first half of Senior year.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

jimk

Best thing I can say about that list is that they give the East a lot of love. Otherwise quite wacky.
I know Virginia and the nearest ski area to Va Tech/Blacksburg is about 1:15 and pretty small (Winterplace). One of my kids went to U VA and there was a better ski area 45 mins from there caalled Wintergreen. My son went to a college in Western PA near Seven Springs. He started college as an untrained single black diamond skier and came out a double black diamond instructor. Sometimes little hills can be great training areas.