• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Mountain, 01-10-2019

granite

I skied from 9am to 1pm. The Peabody Express and Cannonball Express did not open until 12 noon. Started top to bottom at Mittersill-Baron's Run under the snow guns which were running wet. However, skier's right was quite nice with soft snow, tracked up powder and a few moguls here and there. The lower mountain and front five were real good, a lot of nice lines along the edges pretty much everywhere. Disappointed in Paulie's though, just didn't groom and set up right on the edges. Beautiful tracked up powder on Banshee and Jasper's and Banshee Lift Line (see photo) was fantastic. The other photo is Avalanche-right side packed powder bumps. Took two top to bottom runs off the summit once they opened-Taft Slalom-Upper Ravine-Short Fuse-Lower Hardscrabble-to Red Ball. It was the first time I've seen Red Ball opened this year-all natural snow and I could have done this lap all day.

Attachments

• Avalanche.jpg
    Avalanche.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Banshee Lift Line.jpg
    Banshee Lift Line.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 111

speden

Nice. I was debating between hitting Cannon or Bretton yesterday. I was worried Cannon would have wind holds so went for Bretton.

granite

Could not go wrong with either place. Peabody Express was late due to icing, Cannonball due to wind. Plenty of other action though on the lower mountain and Mittersill until upper mountain opened. I had one lousy-stinking work appointment in the afternoon that I couldn't blow off. Otherwise it would have been 1st chair to last chair.

Bumpsis

Nice report, granite !

Any opinions as to what to expect on Saturday? Can't get there until noon, I'm afraid it will be skied off by then.

granite

Nice report, granite !

Any opinions as to what to expect on Saturday? Can't get there until noon, I'm afraid it will be skied off by then.

The main routes will get skied off, but I'm sure skiing will be great due to the amount of snow they got. I would think the edges will still be very good, although bumped up more. If they groom Baron's, that should be good. The very cold temps will help suppress skier traffic, that's a plus too. I'm sure the lodges will be packed with skiers escaping the cold, might want to park and ski out of the tram station. Have fun.

ciscokid

Got shut out Tuesday 1/8 with wind hold at Cannon so went back to WV. Forecasted high winds again 1/10 but you did well. 1/9 was a nice wet pow day at BW
That Notch gets blasted! Good work