• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Keeping phone warm in the cold

urungus

My iPhone 7+ in rubber case shuts off when the temperature drops below 20 degrees. Happened to me again on Friday at Slokemo, ruining ski tracks session and preventing me from taking picture on my first ever trip down Double Diamond. I have resorted to attaching hand warmers with rubber bands (forgot to do it yesterday), surely there is a better way? Planning on heading to VT on Sunday and it looks to be cold again, so looking for advice. This looks interesting but doesn’t seem to be available yet: http://www.amited.com/optimal/

drjeff

The age old iPhone and poor cold weather battery issues discussion [emoji6]

Hand warmers and keeping it as much as possible as close to your skin as opposed to in an exterior pocket seem to be the perennial top answers.

I'm an Android guy. I have a Motorola Droid Z2 that was in the exterior chest pocket of my coat this morning running trace snow from 7:30 until 11:45 - my battery was at 90% when I quit at 11:45 and my phone came out on the lift and hill maybe 8 to 10 times. No heat packs were used on my phone and just a standard plastic holster case.

Even my daughter's new iPhone 10 will burn through 50-70% battery life over the same time

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Zermatt

Isn't keeping it as close to your body the most obvious and logical solution?

Keeping it in a backpack or the outermost pocket will obviously not keep the phone warm.

Handlebars

I stick a toe warmer to the back of my case. Keeps the phone warm and the battery happy.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I just keep a hand warmer in the same pocket with nothing else doesn't seem to be a problem if it's not attached . If it's super cold add another one . As long as it's a smaller pocket the phone and the warmer seem to end up in the same place.

Edd

My old iPhone 4S used to go temporarily dead on extremely cold days but my iPhone 6 has yet to do that during the 3-4 years I’ve had it. I just keep it in my front pants pocket by itself.

raisingarizona

Isn't keeping it as close to your body the most obvious and logical solution?

Keeping it in a backpack or the outermost pocket will obviously not keep the phone warm.

I keep mine in the side pocket of my puffy underneath my shell and haven’t had an issue since I figured that out.

skiur

The age old iPhone and poor cold weather battery issues discussion [emoji6]

Hand warmers and keeping it as much as possible as close to your skin as opposed to in an exterior pocket seem to be the perennial top answers.

I'm an Android guy. I have a Motorola Droid Z2 that was in the exterior chest pocket of my coat this morning running trace snow from 7:30 until 11:45 - my battery was at 90% when I quit at 11:45 and my phone came out on the lift and hill maybe 8 to 10 times. No heat packs were used on my phone and just a standard plastic holster case.

Even my daughter's new iPhone 10 will burn through 50-70% battery life over the same time

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

I have a Moto Droid too, best battery life of any phone I've had, and it's over 2 years old.

heiusa

It’s not just the cold, it is the geography, the battery will die faster on the mountain, because the phone has to work harder to find the cell tower, I find if I put my phone in airplane mode while skiing my battery lasts a lot longer, and that was an iPhone 6s and now an x.

chuckstah

I have a Moto Droid too, best battery life of any phone I've had, and it's over 2 years old.
Same. Battery lasts all day. But not 2 years old yet.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

gmcunni

i usually wear a shell with a fleece underneath. i put my phone in the pocket of the fleece and on the coldest of days throw a handwarmer in the pocket.

Smellytele

Had my phone in my interior shirt chest pocket with a down jacket and a shell today. Listened to music all day and sent a few texts. iPhone 6s was at 70% at the end of the day. Usually have a lighter jacket than the down under my shell and never have a issue with it in my chest pocket

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

Interesting, I didn't realize iPhones performed crappy in cold weather.

Then again, I also have no idea why people are still buying iPhones in the year 2019, so.....

deadheadskier

Staff member
Interesting, I didn't realize iPhones performed crappy in cold weather.

Then again, I also have no idea why people are still buying iPhones in the year 2019, so.....
My experience is the battery life on iPhones performs crappy in any weather.

I'd amend your comment back to 2014. I've worked for 3 med tech companies since then and all have used Apple. I've had a 5, 6 & 7. Battery performance has been awful with all of them. I won't get into the piss poor functionality of the phones compared to Android. They do have good cameras though. During the same period, I've had a Motorola Droid Maxx and now a Motorola Droid Z Play for the past two years. Bought the Z Play because it had the highest rated battery on the market at the time plus decent enough storage and processing. 2 years later the phone still kicks ass on battery life. Can get almost two days life on a full charge with heavy use no matter the weather.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

prsboogie

It’s not just the cold, it is the geography, the battery will die faster on the mountain, because the phone has to work harder to find the cell tower, I find if I put my phone in airplane mode while skiing my battery lasts a lot longer, and that was an iPhone 6s and now an x.
This is a big saver. Inside pocket, heat warmers - just dump the shit apples!! Android all the way!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using AlpineZone mobile app