• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where to get current conditions for VT, NH, ME all in one place ?

Hi,

I'm a newb, moved here from Hawaii (don't ask) have done a lot of snowboarding at Telluride and Tahoe..
I'm looking for steep fast trails, not moguls, not parks, occasionally some glades if they contain powder stashes.

Is there a forum/website where I can quickly see conditions for all three states ?
I live 1.5 - 3 hours away (Manchester) from dozens of resorts, but it's currently taking me a long time to find and compare conditions.

I think my best terrain choices are going to be Cannon, Killington, Stowe, Jay, Wildcat and ??

Thanks for your advice.

deadheadskier

Staff member
There are websites like On the Snow, but honestly you just have to pay attention to individual mountain reports and know how they tend to embellish things.

If you mainly like steep groomers, I'd scratch Jay and Wildcat from your list. Both don't groom much of their terrain. Wildcat has two of the best, long, fast, groomed trails in the East in Catapult and Lynx, but they are more known for their ungroomed terrain. Killington can be great for steep groomers, but pay attention to their grooming report. They will let a lot of their steep terrain bump up. Cannon is a good choice, just make sure your edges are sharp. Stowe is an excellent choice for your terrain preferences. Sugarloaf probably has the greatest quantity of steep, groomed terrain in New England. Sunday River is also a good choice for that.

Snow, Stratton and Okemo all have a ton of groomed terrain, but all 3 are on the flatter side.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

heiusa

<<Killington can be great for steep groomers, but pay attention to their grooming report. They will let a lot of their steep terrain bump up.>>. I disagree with that comment, I have been skiing at Killington for 50 years and they do not allow a lot of the steep terrain to bump up, even outer limits is usually only half bumped and half groomed. That’s one of the reasons I like skiing at K, I don’t like the bumps and I like skiing fast, they do let the nats bump up, but there are a lot of groomed steeps at K. The best report for Killington conditions is on the website killingtonzone.com.

Jully

<<Killington can be great for steep groomers, but pay attention to their grooming report. They will let a lot of their steep terrain bump up.>>. I disagree with that comment, I have been skiing at Killington for 50 years and they do not allow a lot of the steep terrain to bump up, even outer limits is usually only half bumped and half groomed. That’s one of the reasons I like skiing at K, I don’t like the bumps and I like skiing fast, they do let the nats bump up, but there are a lot of groomed steeps at K. The best report for Killington conditions is on the website killingtonzone.com.

Currently just one (Cascade) of K's, IMO, "premier" steep trails is groomed. While they do rotate grooming on a lot of the K1 double blacks, they allow almost all their steeps to bump up periodically.

Like DHS said though, K is one of the better places for truly steep groomers. Only place I'd say is maybe better is Stowe or Sugarloaf.

deadheadskier

Staff member
That's basically what I'm getting at. Yes, you can show up often and find Cascade, Downdraft and Dipper groomed and Outer Limits 50/50. But other times there's wall to wall bumps on some of them. So, it's worth checking the grooming report so you don't get surprised.

Comparatively, Sugarloaf pretty much always has trails like Gondi-line, Nitro, Narrow Gauge, Hayburner etc groomed. I don't think I've skied any of those bumped up except for day of a storm or very late spring.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Kleetus

Longer haul from Manchester but add Whiteface to the list. Skyward there is steep and lots of sustained vert. Have a few other consistently groomed steeps too. Cloudspin is also steep but not groomed all that often. That being said doesn't normally get all that bumped despite not being groomed.

Gore Mountain nearby also has consistently groomed steeps on The Rumor and Lies, but that's about it for there. K in my book has the most but have yet to ski Sugarloaf as mentioned to compare.

Sent from my SM-G892A using AlpineZone mobile app

Thanks for all the great info.

I want to try many resorts this year, day trips, and will also have 10 days off, coming up.

Do I have to call each mountain to figure out when there are no school holidays, or what are considered holidays for the resorts, resulting in long lift lines?

I want to take those 10 days off when the crowds are hopefully minimal.

Steep groomers are great, of course pow over groomers is better - used to get first tracks at Telluride often when I lived right at the base - was awesome.

Also used to ride pow in between trees, I have a semi-pow board and an "ice" board.

Thanks again

Smellytele

School Vacations -
Mass - week of presidents day will be crowded
NH - the week after won't be as crowded
Not sure when other states have theirs.

skiur

Thanks for all the great info.

I want to try many resorts this year, day trips, and will also have 10 days off, coming up.

Do I have to call each mountain to figure out when there are no school holidays, or what are considered holidays for the resorts, resulting in long lift lines?

I want to take those 10 days off when the crowds are hopefully minimal.

Steep groomers are great, of course pow over groomers is better - used to get first tracks at Telluride often when I lived right at the base - was awesome.

Also used to ride pow in between trees, I have a semi-pow board and an "ice" board.

Thanks again

If taking a long trip I suggest waiting until early March. The crowds are not as much of an issue after presidents week, The days are getting brighter and warmer, and most years mountains are still 100% open. March is also the second snowiest month of the year.

mfi

Get an epic pass if you want to ski Stowe and Okemo..day pass prices even with Liftopia discounts are pretty high. I picked Stowe as my go to place as they get a ton of snow and I can hit Sugarbush , Smuggs and Jay within an hour. Good town to hang out in as well.

cdskier

Get an epic pass if you want to ski Stowe and Okemo..day pass prices even with Liftopia discounts are pretty high. I picked Stowe as my go to place as they get a ton of snow and I can hit Sugarbush , Smuggs and Jay within an hour. Good town to hang out in as well.

If he wants to do that, he'll have to keep that in mind for next year as the Epic Pass this year is no longer for sale.