• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Speculation about MLK weekend storm....

ShadyGrove

I predict that the timing sucks as it screws up me driving home from VT on Sunday (I'm not off on Monday). So a big snowstorm may ironically be the cause of me missing a weekend of skiing.

Pretty good agreement between the models from what I've seen that something will happen...exactly who gets what is the big question.

This is exactly what vacation days are for. Potential for yuuuge storm and you are either going to skip the entire weekend or take a PTO day and have 2 pow days in a row? No brainer.

Glenn

SoVT is showing it could get some mixing as could central NH. All could change with just a little movement of the track

As with most of these New England systems, we'll probably have a better idea 36 hours before the main event.

*Edit: Thanks to everyone who is traveling out West or working. We appreciate you commitment to the cause.

BenedictGomez

The curse of living in NJ ....in order to make plans, I'll need to speculate a bit...

I can sympathize with that.

So lets talk about things that at 5 days out are more predictable than snowfall, like temps. It's definitely going to be very cold, strong model agreement across the board on that.

Wind looks okay for now, but I'll definitely be watching that with some worry, specifically for Sunday.

And what of timing, is the drive to the mountain going to be an absolutely brutal 15mph crawl with car crashes galore Sunday morning unless you're staying on resort property. There you go, some more things to worry about.

Just one?

Paying $13,000 or more in property tax on a modest middle-class family home is another.

cdskier

This is exactly what vacation days are for. Potential for yuuuge storm and you are either going to skip the entire weekend or take a PTO day and have 2 pow days in a row? No brainer.

Everything isn't always that black and white...

BenedictGomez

The ECMWF just went full-blown snowpocalyse on us.

If this were to actually happen, even staying with my wife's family in n.VT & even with AWD & snow tires, would I be able to get to the ski resort Sunday?

Last edited:

GregoryIsaacs

LOL lets be real....this is MLK weekend in New England we're talking about. This things gonna turn into a tropical rainstorm just like last year and the year before and the year before!

I told myself I would never commit to skiing MLK weekend after having my first trip to Magic get washed out last year but here I am finalizing my plans for Mount Snow and getting that real bad cold going for my sickday monday

LOL lets be real....this is MLK weekend in New England we're talking about. This things gonna turn into a tropical rainstorm just like last year and the year before and the year before!

I told myself I would never commit to skiing MLK weekend after having my first trip to Magic get washed out last year but here I am finalizing my plans for Mount Snow and getting that real bad cold going for my sickday monday

The best MLK weekend was 1996 Blizzard

tnt1234

I can sympathize with that.

So lets talk about things that at 5 days out are more predictable than snowfall, like temps. It's definitely going to be very cold, strong model agreement across the board on that.

Wind looks okay for now, but I'll definitely be watching that with some worry, specifically for Sunday.

And what of timing, is the drive to the mountain going to be an absolutely brutal 15mph crawl with car crashes galore Sunday morning unless you're staying on resort property. There you go, some more things to worry about.

Paying $13,000 or more in property tax on a modest middle-class family home is another.

All true.

But:

Plattekill lifts seem to do OK in wind.
Cold is cold....can deal with that.
Trying to find a room within 15 miles so the slog in the AM will be manageable.

On top of all that, work and family schedule seems to be a little out of focus on this right now, so we'll see...

Re: NJ - yeah, taxes, proximity to mountains, traffic....lots of reasons to question my current address...

Glenn

I think there's some credence to "getting there" based on the timing of this system.

BenedictGomez

I told myself I would never commit to skiing MLK weekend after having my first trip to Magic get washed out last year but here I am finalizing my plans for Mount Snow

If you worry about last minute weather shifts, why not pick your mountain/lodging on Thursday rather than Tuesday?

Re: NJ - yeah, taxes, proximity to mountains, traffic....lots of reasons to question my current address...

We're in beginning discussions regarding whether or not to join the masses who are fleeing New Jersey.

If I do go, I wont say that I left New Jersey, the reality is, New Jersey left us. Many feel the same.

skifree

I'm prepositioning myself in northern New England Saturday and move as needed.

On a mission for the goods. Been stuck at work all season.

GregoryIsaacs

If you worry about last minute weather shifts, why not pick your mountain/lodging on Thursday rather than Tuesday?

Homeowner in West Dover about 2 min (and on the right side of 100) from Sneaux so not much dictating or planning involved.... my real issue with MLK is the combination of the mass of crowds and lack of viable terrain... I can only handle so much of it during Christmas week!