• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Speculation about MLK weekend storm....

tumbler

Crowds are always a concern for MLK but with everything in play it will spread them out. I'd take a huge dump that about 15% of the people skiing know how to ski than hard frozen groomers with human gates. Getting to the hill is an interesting take- I'll get there but the concern is the other yahoos that can't drive and f*ck it up for everyone else.

BenedictGomez

Crowds are always a concern for MLK but with everything in play it will spread them out. I'd take a huge dump that about 15% of the people skiing know how to ski than hard frozen groomers with human gates. Getting to the hill is an interesting take- I'll get there but the concern is the other yahoos that can't drive and f*ck it up for everyone else.

This is a good point too. If you do get, say, 15" of snow, much of the MLK crowd wont even be able to ski well and will likely call it a day early Sunday. Saturday, however, yes, Saturday will be an absolute zoo.

Zand

With the strong possibility of mixing the further south and east you go, the best course of action is obviously go as far north and west as possible while still trying to find the sweet spot. Right now I'm thinking MRV.

NYDB

Ive experienced some crazy snows, and not once had an issue getting to the mountain. In VT, they keep the roads in great shape. Im about 5-10 miles from 3 mountains and never had a concern about getting to any of them during heavy snowfall. My main concern now is the snain.

Sent from my SM-G960U using AlpineZone mobile app

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
It's MLK weekend, I don't care if the Cats get 5 feet, there's no why in hell I would go. Because I know it would be me and around 20,000 of my closest friends there. NO THANK YOU............

Went to Platty last year "Storm Riley" . I didn't know it then but it was the busiest day in their history . I never waited more then 10 minutes in line! it took me 45 minutes to leave as there were cars parked for 2 miles ......Platty FTW!!!

WWF-VT

1/15 - WCAX weather for VT:

...Then all eyes will be on a potent storm system that could bring us significant snow over the weekend. Right now, it looks like snow will start to move in mid-Saturday and continue Saturday night into Sunday. The snow could be heavy at times in our northern and central areas, where temperatures will be cold. But a wedge of warmer air may change the snow to rain or freezing rain in our southern areas early on Sunday, before going back to snow again later in the day. It will also turn very windy and cold on the back side of this storm for late Sunday into Martin Luther King, Jr. Day on Monday.
It is still too early to say how much snow we'll get out of this storm, but we will be closely monitoring the evolution of this system and will keep you up-to-date with the latest look on how this storm will be affecting us.

benski

Went to Platty last year "Storm Riley" . I didn't know it then but it was the busiest day in their history . I never waited more then 10 minutes in line! it took me 45 minutes to leave as there were cars parked for 2 miles ......Platty FTW!!!

I was there. I parked across from the parking lot at 9am and had to wait 1 hour to buy a lift ticket. I don't remember leaving being much of an issue, but I tried Apple maps which sent me on a crazy route over the mountain. That was a great day though.

BenedictGomez

In VT, they keep the roads in great shape.

Vermont does not keep the roads in, "great shape", not by a long-shot. Even the interstate for god's sake, they only plow 1 lane on 89 in a big snow. Vermont might not be as bad as Pennsylvania with snowy roads, but "great" they are certainly not.

Zand

Vermont is good when a big storm hits. But the roads are under-treated when there is a smaller event and quite frankly it's sad that it's easier to drive around right after a 2 footer than it is after 3 inches.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I was there. I parked across from the parking lot at 9am and had to wait 1 hour to buy a lift ticket. I don't remember leaving being much of an issue, but I tried Apple maps which sent me on a crazy route over the mountain. That was a great day though.

Saturday was my first time there ,I was planning on hitting Elk but thought another hour on the road would be worth the 3' snow. Got there around 8am . Surreal..... Hoots and Hollers from all over the mountain . A couple untracked runs and hit the woods . I was toast by 2 o'clock . The mountain ops people were using pick up trucks and whatever they could to shuttle people in .

tnt1234

If you worry about last minute weather shifts, why not pick your mountain/lodging on Thursday rather than Tuesday?

We're in beginning discussions regarding whether or not to join the masses who are fleeing New Jersey.

If I do go, I wont say that I left New Jersey, the reality is, New Jersey left us. Many feel the same.

Places are booking up. Lost my first two choices in the cats...waiting till thurs. might be risky.

ditto on NJ...and I agree.

tnt1234

Shhhh! Don't spread the word...

If I go, that's where I'll be.

tnt1234

I was there the day of the storm - place was empty. Was there the next day as well - long line for tix and cash only....thought the snow that day was actually kind of tough, where as the day before was sublime.

storm day was ski on. Next day was 10 minutes tops.

Smellytele

While I am looking forward to this weekend, The wind behind the storm has me. I will be at Cannon from Friday night-Tuesday staying at Mittersill so driving is of no concern.

Glenn

May be trending a bit colder now. That would be good for us snow lovers.

Cornhead

I was there the day of the storm - place was empty. Was there the next day as well - long line for tix and cash only....thought the snow that day was actually kind of tough, where as the day before was sublime.

storm day was ski on. Next day was 10 minutes tops.
My best day last season. Thigh deep. I was soaking wet and shivering on the chair at the end of the day, telling myself, "This is my last run" on every ride. Automatically got back on the chair every time till ski patrol boarded for their clearing run.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app